ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 03:44 AM   #46
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud
 
jdub's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: S. Central PA
Oddometer: 1,646
These are also inexpensive but work as well as BMW OEM units. I installed them on my KLR and V-Strom, and would probably try to wire them in as replacements if my BMW heated grips gave out: http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm
__________________
Current stable (of one, for now): '07 R1200GS Adv.
Step-by-Step R1200GSA Gearbox Removal and Clutch Spline Lube Process
Another 140,000 Mile R1200GS Adv.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #47
JeffinTD
Beastly Adventurer
 
JeffinTD's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: NE Oregon, The Dalles
Oddometer: 1,316
Those are exactly the same, right down to the colors of the wires, and the pre-stripped section at the end of the shrink tube.
__________________
Have: 09 R1200GSA, FLHR Road King, 680 Rincon, 500 Foreman.

Had: CX500, DR650, S2 Thunderbolt.

Need: To win the lottery so I can actually get time to ride.
JeffinTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #48
maduko
Jack of All Trades
 
maduko's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, OK
Oddometer: 199
Thumb Rewired and Warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduko
I'm tempted to check the hobby shop for some nichrome wire.
Success!

I picked up a package of nichrome wire at a local hobby shop for $2.50 and I'm back in business. It's slightly smaller gauge but feels just as a warm. The factory wire is .011" and the hobby shop sold me .009" diameter.

It's not easy to solder, but I didn't have any tiny butt splices.

Total expenditure: $21.37

And the part number of the grips is 32 72 145 8396
__________________

www.twowheeloklahoma.com

It's like a TV show. Except on TV!
maduko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #49
JeffinTD
Beastly Adventurer
 
JeffinTD's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: NE Oregon, The Dalles
Oddometer: 1,316
Interesting solution. Did you just roll on wire until you got similar resistance?

I was kind of concerned about the canibus computer when I replaced mine, so I spent time finding a heating element that was pretty close, ohm wise.
__________________
Have: 09 R1200GSA, FLHR Road King, 680 Rincon, 500 Foreman.

Had: CX500, DR650, S2 Thunderbolt.

Need: To win the lottery so I can actually get time to ride.
JeffinTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:08 AM   #50
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!
 
michnus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduko
Success!

I picked up a package of nichrome wire at a local hobby shop for $2.50 and I'm back in business. It's slightly smaller gauge but feels just as a warm. The factory wire is .011" and the hobby shop sold me .009" diameter.

It's not easy to solder, but I didn't have any tiny butt splices.

Total expenditure: $21.37

And the part number of the grips is 32 72 145 8396
Is it the part number for the 1100 right side grips you posted, I had a look on the fish websites and having difficulty in getting the correct part number?
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #51
maduko
Jack of All Trades
 
maduko's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, OK
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Is it the part number for the 1100 right side grips you posted, I had a look on the fish websites and having difficulty in getting the correct part number?
Right. 1100 and also same as my 1150R had- tapered style that's fatter on the outboard end.

And I eventually had to use a crimp-on connection because my shitty solder job let go. I used half of a small butt splice.

Oh... and as for the resistance- I just followed the same track the original wire followed. Didn't really have much choice!
__________________

www.twowheeloklahoma.com

It's like a TV show. Except on TV!
maduko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #52
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tommyvdv's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 405
forgive me for digging up an old thread but i've just tried to order the rubbers for my grips through my dealer. He told me the cost will be about 72

Turns out the rubbers aren't sold separately. Does anyone have a way to order the OEM rubbers without ordering the whole part (grip heater, etc..)?
tommyvdv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #53
philofax OP
lifetime noob on wheels
 
philofax's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Munich, Germany
Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
Turns out the rubbers aren't sold separately. Does anyone have a way to order the OEM rubbers without ordering the whole part (grip heater, etc..)?
original r1200gs rubbers for throttle (right side) are 7.20 EUR: 71607659143 BMW Art.Nr.

i prefer the r1100gs rubbers because slightly thicker, same price and art.nr is 32721458396

you need 2 times the right sides rubber. if not equipped with heating grips, it is 1 left, 1 right. with heating, it is 2 x right side.
__________________
RideReports - mostly Europe
The Grossglockner HighAlpine Street / Austria RideReport // 2009
How Nightmarion became an ADVRider a RR from Slovenia, Croatia and Italy 2009
Sardinia, the Italian beauty in fall 2009
A country a day keeps the boredom away, Ride Report / Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Austria, Germany Aug 2010
philofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #54
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JoshBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle Wa
Oddometer: 349
Ya your dealer is A) ripping you off and B) full of it.

You do need two throttle sides and they are $8 bucks each.
__________________
Josh

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #55
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer
 
trc.rhubarb's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,854
Any idea on what else fits? I'd like a much thicker grip. I'm using beemer buddies and they are nice but still a bit on the skinny side for me. I have no grip issues with my HD's but hand cramping with the BMW.
__________________
2007 BMW GS Adventure
2000 Ducati 900ss
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #56
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tommyvdv's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by philofax View Post
original r1200gs rubbers for throttle (right side) are 7.20 EUR: 71607659143 BMW Art.Nr.

i prefer the r1100gs rubbers because slightly thicker, same price and art.nr is 32721458396

you need 2 times the right sides rubber. if not equipped with heating grips, it is 1 left, 1 right. with heating, it is 2 x right side.
i took a look on realoem.com; can't find the part
Can you redirect me to the catalog you use?

i kinda wanna rub the guy's face in it
tommyvdv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #57
philofax OP
lifetime noob on wheels
 
philofax's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Munich, Germany
Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
i took a look on realoem.com; can't find the part
Can you redirect me to the catalog you use?

i kinda wanna rub the guy's face in it
32721458396 is for example the right rubber on a 1100gs
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=32&fg=72

i dont know if there is a englsih version, i can only see the german one

select a vehicle like
259E R 1100 GS 94
go to
Lenkung -> Handarmatur
Picture shows parts -> part 3 is the rubber
__________________
RideReports - mostly Europe
The Grossglockner HighAlpine Street / Austria RideReport // 2009
How Nightmarion became an ADVRider a RR from Slovenia, Croatia and Italy 2009
Sardinia, the Italian beauty in fall 2009
A country a day keeps the boredom away, Ride Report / Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Austria, Germany Aug 2010
philofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #58
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tommyvdv's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by philofax View Post
32721458396 is for example the right rubber on a 1100gs
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=32&fg=72

i dont know if there is a englsih version, i can only see the german one

select a vehicle like
259E R 1100 GS 94
go to
Lenkung -> Handarmatur
Picture shows parts -> part 3 is the rubber
true, but the rubber is not listed as a seperate part on the 1200?
or am i just being blind.

Ps: How do products like this: http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm
and this: http://www.adventioneering.com/2010/...e-want-to-pee/

work out ? anyone try it in stead of the nichrome wire on a 1200?
tommyvdv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #59
philofax OP
lifetime noob on wheels
 
philofax's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Munich, Germany
Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
true, but the rubber is not listed as a seperate part on the 1200?
or am i just being blind.

Ps: How do products like this: http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm
and this: http://www.adventioneering.com/2010/...e-want-to-pee/

work out ? anyone try it in stead of the nichrome wire on a 1200?
the R1200GS without!!!! heated handlebar, has on the throttle side the
R1200GS Griffgummi BMW Artikel 61312306232. BMW is not selling the rubber
for the heatgrips version because it is not meant to be changed. so you would
need the 1200 without heat for throttle side (2 pieces) or (which most prefer)
the 1100 version because they are a bit thicker and seem to last longer.

all above IF you are with heated grips already and want to change the rubber
only with the chance of fucking up your heating wire. this is what the whole
thread is about (without the messing up your heating wire part if all went
fine).
__________________
RideReports - mostly Europe
The Grossglockner HighAlpine Street / Austria RideReport // 2009
How Nightmarion became an ADVRider a RR from Slovenia, Croatia and Italy 2009
Sardinia, the Italian beauty in fall 2009
A country a day keeps the boredom away, Ride Report / Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Austria, Germany Aug 2010
philofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #60
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud
 
jdub's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: S. Central PA
Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
Ps: How do products like this: http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm
and this: http://www.adventioneering.com/2010/...e-want-to-pee/

work out ? anyone try it in stead of the nichrome wire on a 1200?
See my post at the top of the page about the Dual Stars.
__________________
Current stable (of one, for now): '07 R1200GS Adv.
Step-by-Step R1200GSA Gearbox Removal and Clutch Spline Lube Process
Another 140,000 Mile R1200GS Adv.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014