|02-01-2010, 08:36 PM||#1|
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Wrenching on my R80 G/S, an ongoing therapy
1984 R80 G/S WB1034803E6362926
1) 05/6/86 Purchased New from Psycle Therapy, Columbus Ohio by B Grimes (Urbana Ohio).
2) 4/16/98 Purchase from Competition Accessories (Springfield Ohio) with 57,4557 miles, C. Roelling (Miamsburd, OH), for $1,500
3) Gunner65 purchased and only had it for 3hours
4) Lexington owner purchased it from inmate Gunner65
5) 09/11/2008 One Less Harley (KY) with 95,000 miles from a guy from Lexington KY, who didn't own it very long.
According to Gunner65 the bike has been to Alaska at least twice. Cosmetically challenged when I purchased it, mechanically very good and well maintained. Very clean oil oil pan w/ no sludge. Nice original example. Bike now has a R100GS front end, 4 pot Brembo, Taller 5th gear, top end rebuilt, Enduralast, repainted blue.
Links to miscellaneous post-
1) Death Wobble
2) Connecting Volt guage to G/S
3) Bosch Starter Repair, Bendix Replacement
4) Motor won't turn over, this is unusual-Starter related
5) Clutch Balance marks
6) Head job, rings, rod bearings-good post
7) Painting HPN tank (polyethlene)??, why not?
8) 320mm brake upgrade
9) Tanks to fit an R80 G/S
10) R80 G/S upside down brake arm conversion
11) Fix for Acerbis (OMG) petcock, left and right ones now point the right way
12) Transmission rebuild mislabeled 17.5 degree primary gear
13) BMW Performance School
14) Trail Tech MR16 HID lights are crap, 2 lights 2 failures!!!
15) 4 Pot Brembo Caliper conversion for GS
16) Damned neutral switch again!!!
17) Airbox Engine Breather Modification
18) Happy Trails Top Mounting Bracket Fix
19) Page 3, Post #45 ring gear bearing replacement
20) Page 5, post #65 R100GS front end
21) Page 1, post #10 Flywheel Issues, no rivets
22) Float bowl leashed Sololobo's article
23) HH Race Tech R100GS fork inserts.
24) Final Drive Breather Hose
26) Carb jetting Changes and notes
27) Hanging Idle discussion
So here's the old gal as purchased, notice the big honking headlights and angle irons for brackets.
...and here it is now.
One of this first things I did was drop the oil pan to check for gunk in the engine and check the oil pickup. I've heard these can loosen up. All was well inside along with changing all the fluids, that included the brake fluid.
Next on the project was to pull the tranny and lube the splines, plus since the rear frame was off why not powder coat it???
Then a custom muffler guard for the Sito Muffler out of plain metal rods.
Look here for link
Then some eyebrows for the large PIIA's as I was getting a glare from the top edge.
Then reinforcing stock racks for the Happy trails panniers. Gussets added.
And a rear bar, stood up to a good crash, but probably should be bigger.
Happy Trails bags mounted plus new paint on tank and side covers. I had the original blue tank scaned for a color match. This tank is from a R100GS with the seat tab cut off.
Cut down side cover for muffler and accessory plug added.
1st installment hope I haven't bored anyone w/ the repost!!
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S (wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)
One Less Harley screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 02:08 PM
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|