Me and the Goose in NA
ok, thanks to input from you guys I've got the following route as a guide.. am listing my route, and updating it, in the hope that if I've missed anything massive one of you will shout. I'd hate to fly back and have someone say "you mean you went to so and so and didn't see thingie!!"
At time of writing (15th July) I have 8 clear days of contingency. I'm gonna trim that down to leave 5 using the other 3 to shorten days. If I've not used at least 1 of the days by the time I get to New Orleans I'll eat it up there, I'll apply similar discretionay contingency chowing at other key points.
Route Overview (LINK
- Leg 0 - Vienna to Munich - 14th/15th August - ride up, train back.
- Leg 1.2 - Toronto to Muskegon (26th August) (LINK to route) gonna hop a late night ferry to Milwaukee. 621km.
- Leg 2.2 - Milwaukee Ferryport to HD Museum (LINK to route) 5.5km
- Leg 3.3 - Milwaukee to Lake Miills (LINK to route) -starting to look for new tires now....ideally I'll have them before I get to Boise. 522km
- Leg 4.3 - Lake Mills to Kadoka (LINK to route) 679km
- Leg 5.4 - Kadoka to Hardin (LINK to route) 689km
- Leg 6.2 - Hardin to Yellowstone (LINK to route) 447km
- Leg 7.2 - Yellowstone to Twin Falls (LINK to route) scrubbing Boise..so Twin Falls (pretty much a random choice) here I come...500km
- Leg 8.2- Twin Falls to Austin (LINK to route) 580km
- Leg 9 - Austin to Fremont - The Pacific coast and to see if I can find my heart again (LINK to route) 765km
- Leg 10 - Fremont to Death Valley (LINK to route) 767km - re-routed through Yosemite.
- Leg 11 - Death Valley to Grand Canyon (LINK to route) 300km
- Leg 12 - Grand Canyon to Monument Valley (LINK to route) 524km
- Leg 13 - Monument Valley to Santa Fe (LINK to route) 597km/7750km
- Leg 14 - Santa Fe to Roswell - (LINK to route) 325km/8075km
- Leg 15 - Roswell to San Antonio (LINK to route) 892km = re-routed to via scenery route 84
- Leg 16 - San Antonio to Baton Rouge (LINK to route) 764km/9709km
- Leg 17 - Baton Rouge to New Orleans (LINK to route) may stay in http://www.hotelprovincial.com/ recommended from another thread 137km/
- Leg 18 - New Orleans to Memphis (LINK to route) Gracelands...679km/
- Leg 19 - Memphis to Nashville (LINK to route) - Gran Ol' Opry? 373km/
- Leg 20 - Nashville to Birmingham (LINK to route) some motorbike musuem? 355km/
- Leg 21 - Birmingham to St.Petersburg (LINK to route) a fairly random stopping point on the way to Miami 900km/
- Leg 22 - St.Petersburg to Miami (LINK to route) 879km/ -modifed to include Key West
- Leg 23 - Miami to Jesup (LINK to route) (754km/
- Leg 24 - Jesup to Ashville (LINK to route) 544km/
- Leg 25 - Ashville to Front Royale (LINK to route) 759km/
- Leg 26 - Front Royale to New York City (LINK to route) 534km/
- Leg 27 - New York City to Punxsutawny (LINK to route) 501km/
- Leg 28 - Punxsutawny to Toronto (LINK to route) 476km
- Final Leg - return flight to Vienna 1st October (bike flies on the 5th)
- 9th/10th October - Munich Octoberfest + ride back back to Vienna :)
Total Mileage is about 16.3k km. It's creeping up quickly from my ceiling of 13k so I may
have to cut a few corners at some point.
My objectives are;
Direct Costs Incurred to date (10th February)
- Ride USA coast to coast on my 'Goose
- Check out some musical (rock, country, jazz and blues), historical and natural monuments (in that order of priority)
- Have a vacation where I can understand the language and read the menu
- Meet people, drink beer, eat food
Packing List (for 6 weeks)
Bike & Luggage
- €50 for NA maps for Zumo 660 and..gr..another bloody €50 for NA mapsource maps cos I cocked up and Garmin weren't super stars.
- €10 for 2x large wall maps of NA (so far only used the one but it's come in very handy as a quick reference point)
- $3700 for bike shipping
- €1k for flights
- $750 for 2 months insurance (am going for a month and a week but they only insure in monthly units)
- Moto Guzzi Breva 1101
- Hepco & Becker 30l hard cases
- MG tank bag
- 60l North Face "seat bag"
- Garmin (with loaded routes)
- Tent (Seedhouse SL2)
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping bag liner
- Guitar + amp + spare battery
- Bike Insurance
- Personal Travel Insurance
- 2 credit cards + ATM card
- Canadian $200?
- American $1000?
- Bike registration document
- Bike Boots x 1
- Socks (inc casual socks) x 5
- Sandals and casual shoes
- Crash helmet + Leather Jacket/Jeans/gloves/crash helmet liner
- Keks x 5
- T-shirts x 5
- Board Shorts x 1 (doubling as swimming trunks)
- Cargo pants x 1
- Cargo shorts x 1
- travel towels x 3 (the real tiny ones)
- Contact lenses x 2
- Contact lense solution x 1 (hope to buy more on route - the all in one stuff)
- Glasses x 1
- Small shower gel (more to be purchased on route)
- 1 x deoderant (as above)
- Suntan lotion
- First Aid Kit
- Sun Glasses
- Hard case for glasses
- Shure earphones
- Pondering iPad vs netpad..sorely tempted...need storage for pictures + basic edit functions, e-books, websurfing + funk appeal.
- Post e-copies of passport, insurance, route to my secure cloud