ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Do we need a DR650SE information index?
In a word- yes. In two words- hell, yes! Do it. 67 90.54%
No. It ain't broke, don't fix it... 7 9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Krusty ... OP
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,588
DR650SE information index- what say ye?

UPDATE: Rather than try to dissect and mine the DR650 mega-thread, I've started a few threads, each devoted to a different category. Sort of a file cabinet. Everyone is encouraged to add useful content to these threads.

DR650SE INFORMATION THREAD LIST
Topic #1- CONTROLS/INSTRUMENTATION
Topic #2- SEATS
Topic #3- CRASH PROTECTION
Topic #4- SUSPENSION/CHASSIS
Topic #5- BRAKES
Topic #6- TIRES, TUBES & WHEELS
Topic #7- BODYWORK/WINDSCREENS
Topic #8- FUEL
Topic #9- ELECTRICAL/LIGHTING
Topic #10-CARBURETOR/INTAKE
Topic #11-EXHAUST
Topic #12-ENGINE/CHAINS & SPROCKETS
Topic #13-PROBLEMS/FAILURES
Topic #14-LUGGAGE & RACKS/ACCESSORIES
Topic #15-LINKS, WRITE-UPS, & PICTORIALS

[Or, we could call it "'The DR650 Thread' Thread"...]

At over 31,500+ replies, "The DR650 Thread" is a little daunting, particularly for new DR owners, or those thinking of getting one.

On one hand, most of The DR650 Thread "regulars" are a helpful bunch, and nobody really seems to mind answering the same questions again and again.

On the other hand, there's a lot of information in there- how to posts-complete with pics, upgrades, ideas, etc. Sometimes, easily finding what you need in there can be a little frustrating.

I have some ideas for putting together an information index, primarily culled from posts in The DR650 Thread, but certainly not limited to that one source. I don't mind putting in some time to organize it [provided a few (dozen?) members will also step up and help mine the data], but before I even look down that road, I'd like to hear from the DR650 crowd...

Do we even need this?

Krusty ... screwed with this post 11-27-2010 at 01:00 PM
Krusty ... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Wolfdog
Not Scared

Oddometer: 83
Yes we do, as it will be of benefit to all of the DR community.

I would love to offer assistance if I knew what to do, but Im extremely basic when it comes to computers and would cause more grief than good.

This task would be best handled by those that are confident and competent with a computer.

I totaly support the idea and hope you can find someone to assist you with this task.
Wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
great idea. good luck
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
zebra03
Banned

Oddometer: 1,380
yes indeed
zebra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
There is an alternative in my sig. Quite a lot of new folks signing up lately and activity is rising nicely. Of course it's no threat to ADVrider whether this actually happens or not. But a lot of folks (including me) see the potential in the new site and like the idea of a DR650-only forum.
What's not to like? It's a free choice, and we're there for all DR650 riders who choose to be part of the new family.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,144
I think if this is something we can do without involving the moderators it is a good idea, I have absolutley no reason to suck up to the mod's and anybody that knows me can attest to the fact that ass kissing is not one of my well developed skills, but I truly believe that they do a good job and in most cases go above and beyond the call of duty. They seem to put up with a lot of shit that they don't deserve. Why do we need picture threads for dr's, dr windshields, dr's off road, dr sumo's, etc. etc.. Lets try to get everything in one indexed thread where things can be found easier without burdening the site or it's administrators, were are all big boys.

And by the way, I don't like thumper talk

Pat
grub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,476
I enjoy the site the was it is and can't complain. Though the index might be a good idea. Mostly would depend on how it was done and the effort needed to do it. The mods here do a good job, are volunteers and quite likely don't need the extra work and headaches.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,247
Great idea, hope it works out for you. Maybe one of you guys who isnt busy riding his DR can start catagorizing the the gravy from the spam.
Another forum is out of the question, and yes, Thumper Talk sucks! Baldy rules . If i want to look at advertizing, ill watch tv.
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
craigman
Lost in the woods

Oddometer: 444
That would be great .The other day was searching for the electronic fix that requires lock tite on a set of tiny bolts and still haven't found what I was looking for!

I vote PLEASE!
craigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
Pick 20 pages at random and you'll get answers to 95+% of the questions most people ever have.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
Pick 20 pages at random and you'll get answers to 95+% of the questions most people ever have.
+1
grub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
Krusty ... OP
What? Me hurry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
i'd likely get 20 oil posts...
Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
Tramontana

Oddometer: 2,041
An indexed, and categorized DR650 specific thread would be AWESOME, however it would take a LOT of work to keep the needed material up at the top. Without MOD powers, wouldn't all of the editing need to be the OP's responsibility?

I do like that we have such a long-lived, and prolific thread, dedicated to DR chatter, parts, mods and all, and wouldn't want to detract from the ongoing weblog.

My $0.02 in a down economy...

Cheers!

Memberships: AMA 222838, COHVCO #4409, Blue Ribbon Coalition, Rollins Pass Restoration Association, Tread Lightly!

KD0DHK - Amateur Radio FCC Technician Class

Tread Lightly! Master Tread Trainer.
Tramontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
This topic has been discussed many times and GB lays it out pretty clear here, Any thoughts on making a DR650 forum?.

A thread like this has been started at least once, DR650 Accessories. But as soon as the OP looses interest the thread dies. It's quite a commitment.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
Krusty ... OP
What? Me hurry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
There is an alternative in my sig. Quite a lot of new folks signing up lately and activity is rising nicely. Of course it's no threat to ADVrider whether this actually happens or not. But a lot of folks (including me) see the potential in the new site and like the idea of a DR650-only forum.
What's not to like? It's a free choice, and we're there for all DR650 riders who choose to be part of the new family.
I'm a member of that forum. I'm in no way proposing this idea as a threat to your site. I'm happy to hear your site is gaining in popularity. Someday, your bike-specific forum might be where folks go to find DR650 info. I think that would be OK.

BUT... right now, there's a heap of answers already there. It could be easier for people to access. If this index idea takes off, I'll put links to it on your site myself . And the wiki, too.

This idea isn't meant to diminish the DR650 Thread, either. I check that thread at least once a day. The DR subforum at TT, I might check once a week. There's kind of of a compelling fascination seeing our thread grow... and grow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubneets
I think if this is something we can do without involving the moderators it is a good idea...
The only thing I'd ask of the mods is to put the proposed DR650 index in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366046 with the other bike specific index threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramontana
An indexed, and categorized DR650 specific thread would be AWESOME, however it would take a LOT of work to keep the needed material up at the top. Without MOD powers, wouldn't all of the editing need to be the OP's responsibility?

I do like that we have such a long-lived, and prolific thread, dedicated to DR chatter, parts, mods and all, and wouldn't want to detract from the ongoing weblog.

My $0.02 in a down economy...

Cheers!
The index would be in the Bike Specific Index thread that's stickied at the top of the Thumper page.

Once the existing posts have been indexed, keeping up with the subsequent posts and links would be a piece of cake, relatively speaking...