Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The Mobius Trip .GPX files are here

These are the tracks, routes, and waypoints from our Mobius trip.

Files for M I-8 follow this post. I ALSO posted the same files at GpsXChange.com, and also at Dualsportmaps.com Search the term "Mobius" on each of those sites to find them there.

Because the trip spans multiple geographic regions, I thought it would be easier to consolidate them in one thread here. I plan on updating this thread and those sites with new files as we ride them.

Not included are any tracks or routes, mileage markers, or Sam's directional notes for the TAT, however, there ARE various waypoints that I laid down or otherwise collected along the way for the TAT sections -- Gas, food, campgrounds, bike shops, hot springs, hazards, possible alternates, etc. These waypoints will be helpful, but not nearly sufficient to route/ride the TAT. Not even close.

I have my own nomenclature, which may not be obvious, ie, (FRSD=follow road, shortest distance) otherwise routing is point-to-point. Sometimes I spec which mapset I'm using, sometimes I don't. Tracks have been thinned to 500 points each, but I have the full tracks on my HD. If someone wants the details of a specific area with all the track data points let me know and I can splice out just that piece. There are a few tricky places where a stream crossing or something is in a very specific location, but at the posted resolution it isn't quite precise enough.

If anyone has specific questions, please post them to this thread and I'll answer if I can.

The files are numbered for each Mobius section: 1=NYC-NM, 2a&2b=NM-AZ, etc. Some sections had to be split up to be below the ADV file size upload limit of 1.93MB. If you're interested in a split section, be sure to download all pieces and combine them in MapSource or BaseCamp / RoadTrip, or GoogleEarth.

Enjoy!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 10:21 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius I

NYC to Albuquerque, NM in May 2008
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-1.GPX (750.6 KB, 782 views)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius II-a

part 1: Albuquerque, NM - Flagstaff, AZ; Sept, 2008
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-2a.GPX (973.7 KB, 510 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-10-2010 at 11:44 AM
Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius II-b

part 2: Albuquerque, NM - Flagstaff, AZ, Sept, 2008
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-2b.GPX (1.08 MB, 493 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-10-2010 at 11:44 AM
Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius III

Flagstaff, AZ - Reno, NV, May 2009
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-3.GPX (1.29 MB, 509 views)
Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius IV-a

part 1: Reno, NV - Seattle, WA in Sept. 2009
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-4a.GPX (1.20 MB, 509 views)
Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius IV-b

part 2: Reno, NV - Seattle, WA in Sept. 2009
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-4b.GPX (1.18 MB, 602 views)
Old 02-11-2010, 02:56 AM   #8
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Thank you, this is just a fantastic resource.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 AM   #9
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Glad they loaded up. Maybe downloads are doing better?

Have to try some later on.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I just tried...

I was able to download and open all the posted files in BaseCamp and in GoogleEarth. 9Dave, which are you having trouble with?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:52 AM   #11
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
Thanks for taking the time to do this.
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #12
alma1992
Jaded AND Cynical!

Oddometer: 200
Thumb Thank you!

Excellent information. I'm hoping to use some of the Arkansas waypoints in April. Good luck on your next adventure.

"There will always be kings, no matter what they are called"
alma1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
katoomryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
thanks for taking the time to share these.
1995 250 EXC - Sold
katoomryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,841
I was able to grab them all last night.

Thanks for sharing Dr Rock.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Dr. Rock, Many thanks for the tracks... Planning my Reverse TAT run for late June-early July. Am using Google to follow my maps right now, need to go into mapsource after. I will pay close attention to your direction of travel on the white rim trail... you made good sense of it.

I have to track down the link to the TAT Course Corrections so I don't end up with too many backtracks. If anyone has the link, this would be a good place to post it.

I hope to do a RR after the trip, but I'm squeezing the trip in so might be slow coming. With any luck It will be half as good as Mobius.(there's only one of me!)

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote