Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #11
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
I can't see KTM using their 'old' technology (ie the RFS engine) in their flagship factory effort? - that would be an admission of failure, even though, as we know, the RFS engine has proved very reliable for what is still a competitive 'race' motor...agreed its low likelihood, though still the best privateer Dakar KTM choice

Likewise, there is no way KTM will use the Husaburg engine - if only from a marketing point of view, they can't be seen to admit that a 'competitor' (even if they are the parent company) has a better design than they do? no not under KTM banner, but dont be surprised to see a Berg factory team alongside the KTM one after all with the Coma and Despres camps there are 2 factory teams anyway

Personally I still think we'll see a derivative of the current 450cc XC4 engine, in a simpler chassis (rather than the trellis of the 690s), but with a one-piece rear end, and a similar fairing design to the current 690... just my feeling...yeah obvious choice, but

Jenny xx
A LC4 450 RR based on the 690RR but with a weight loss programme etc would be just as fast as any other 450 out there, low development cost, much better reliablity, much less bivouac work intensive..............and they did it before and it was at the front end of the 450 class

as for marathon single engine 450's not making it I think Franco Picco this year proved they can and still run fast