|02-13-2010, 07:01 PM||#1|
Old Enough To Know Better
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Merritt Island, FL
R80 ST - Can't Leave A Perfectly Good Unmolested Airhead Alone
Subtitled: The Beginning of the Bastardization of A Mostly Original Bike
No fears. There will be no changes made that can't be returned to original if desired.
Back in the Fall I had checked the front brake pads, which looked OK and noted that the OEM rotor was beginning to get the ridges from where the drilled holes don't overlap to even out pad wear and thus rotor wear. Since I've begun to see more and more OEM parts specific to the ST and G/S become NLA, I've started to think ahead about parts I know will need replacing sooner than later and started shopping around for good deals.
While looking for something else for the ST on Dennis Kirk I stumbled across an EBC Prolite front rotor for a really good price. It was the last one in stock at the moment, so I ordered it to have on hand when I needed it.
Soon after that I started thinking that the original rubber brake hose was living well into borrowed time. I've had much newer hoses in cages split twice on me. That thought immediately upgraded to paranoia status.
So I fired off an order to cyclebrakes.com to get the rest of the stuff needed - a Galfer braided hose and some EBC HH sintered pads. Got all that stuff in back in November and got sidetracked with maintenance on the F650, medical stuff with me, medical stuff with my daughter, Holiday travel and hooplah, etc.
This month I finally got off my butt and did the brakes. Turned out the existing pads were EBC GG with some good life left in them. And they had been adequate for stopping. So into the spares bin they went. Now the bike is sporting a nice new braided SS hose.....
And a nice new EBC Prolite floating rotor mated with those EBC HH pads.
Even though I'm still bedding in the pads, I can already tell that the braided hose gives a better feel and the HH pads are just slighter more aggressive than the GG pads were. The GGs looked to be an organic pad material with sintered metal slivers and bits mixed all through. The HH, of course are full metallic pads.
Now for the more radical modification to the bike
I've posted on here a few times about the exhaust collector box (NLA from BMW) including the thread where I cut one open to reveal the inner design. My original collector was repaired by welding a new inlet stub onto the box where I had to chisel one away to get the exhasut system off for the transmission project. That is back in service on the bike along with the original stock muffler. The muffler has been patched in one or two hidden spots by someone skilled with an oxy-acetylene torch. So looking ahead to the day when OEM mufflers will also be NLA I've been watching for all kinds of BMW exhaust parts on all the basic online ad sources.
At the beginning of the month I saw a new Staintune R100 GS muffler on Ebay and the price was still in the low $200s as the auction entered its final day. I held off bidding until the last hour so as not to trigger a bidding war. As (my) luck would have it, I fooled around and had to rush off to a doctor appointment without having time to enter a bid. To add insult to injury, I was planning to bid $300 and the auction ended with no snipers at $262.
So I was bummed at missing a good deal on a new aftermarket stainless exhaust to replace my slowly deteriorating stock muffler.
Then a few days later I see the same muffler - same pics - mostly same ad text (situations like this make me glad I have a certain amount of photographic memory, or eidetic imagery as its known), same CA location, but a different seller and this pipe is listed as lightly used. At first I thought scam, but both sellers have 100% Positive ratings and both have parts from different brands of bikes currently listed.
So I did some background research and connected one of the Sellers to a US importer for Staintune. Then I connected some more dots and found that both sellers were actually a BMW/Triumph dealer that sells Staintune stuff and is the importer.
Cool. So I figure I'll risk a bid. Opening price was under $200. I was sole bidder. Muffler arrived one day earlier than the original UPS estimate. It was well packed in a Staintune box. Lightly used? I could only find one small mark where a bolt had been installed through the lower front mount and I could not smell any trace of exhaust in the muffler. I must be living right or something to have that many things go my way.
After a trial fit yesterday revealed that I would have to loosen up the whole system to wiggle everything to get the mounting holes all into proper alignment at the same time, I tackled it this afternoon.
I've already figured out how to fab up a bracket to hang off the upper mounting bolt and hold the side cover in place the same way the stock heat shield does.
In fact, while I'm working on that, I may pull the stock heat shield off the muffler and see if I can work up some brackets to support the parts of the shield that don't attach to the side cover with small screws. It looks feasible and will preserve the sleek looks of the Staintune without having to weld little mounts on it for the shield. As it is, there is more than enough air gap between the Staintune and the side cover to prevent it overheating and melting.
Merritt Island, FL
When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|