Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #16
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,977
So far for me, the most cost effective and simple Ural performance modification has been to be at the top of a big hill with a nice, long down hill straight....

Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie

can I get 65 all day by head/carb mods?
Yes, and no.

My 07 will do 65 all day 2 up and packed for a trip, but long steep hills will slow it down to 50-55. The 2010's will hold their speed better on the hills.

For folks that need to have more performance, A dealer, Raceway services is working on a big bore kit. http://www.racewayservices.com/racew...ml#performance

Like others have said, if going from A to B fast is Your priority, there are better options than a Ural.
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #18
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Other than re jetting, modtop exhaust or similar, K&N air filter. I think thats about the limit for the Ural as far as performance is concerned, as Windmill said Raceway do a 860cc big bore kit but I think the drivetrain might have trouble coping with that.
If you are after better performance look at another bike, much less hassle.
The 2010 heads have the ports polished from the factory for improved flow over the cast finish, I am not sure of the gains but its a lot of work.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #19
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Ural mods?

Put your $ into reliability and fun/function mods (think hand shifter and some other Raceway toys), performance is not something you will get much gain in.

Let's see, if I spend $1000 to get a 10% increase, that gives me 46 HP.......

Naw, I will put that into gas, food and interesting trips, albiet at a sedate pace.

Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:48 AM   #20
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
different engine?

Maybe swap in a CitroŽn BFG motor?
http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/bfg/bfg.htm
http://www.cats-citroen.net/citroen_...bfg/index.html

Quote:
Early 1981, Louis Boccardo starts builting the first motorcycles. The first bikes are sold in February 1982. The french Gendamerie buys a few hundred bikes. Near the end of 1983 when about 400 bikes have been built, BFG has (financial) problems. MBK buys BFG for 1 franc and continues the production. More then 150 bikes are built under MBK leadership.
Quote:
Engine
CitroŽn G-type 1299cc
4 horizontally opposed air cooled cylinders
Power: 70 bhp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 100 Nm @ 3250 rpm
Ignition: Fully electronical, as fitted to Japanese export G's.

A wooping big cooling fan sits behind front intake. The header pipes sensibly exit from the under cylinder, whereas VW & Subaru are on front & back.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
JohnBG
Slow Moving Three Wheeler

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie
if I want that Holy Grail 75 mph Ural what would I need to do?

Bore out to 1000CC?
Fit a BMW or Subaru engine?
Will this destroy the gearbox (makes the whole thing pointless if you lose reverse)?
Are Ural making any noises along the lines of understanding parts of the market want motorway speeds?
If I drop the 75 mph ask, can I get 65 all day by head/carb mods?
Aside from replacing the Ural engine with a BMW R90 or R100 airhead engine (there's a guy in NC who specializes in this), there's not much you can do to maintain a constant 75mph cruising speed with a Ural.

A Ural will do 75mph, but not for long. That's pretty much flogging the beast for all it's worth.

65mph, a 750cc Ural will do with no problem. But it is happier in the 55-60mph range.

'98.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" (the blonde)
'06 Ural Raven 750 2WD - "Vorona" (the brunette)

Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Collective Forums
An independent site for Ural/Dnepr Enthusiasts
Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums
Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries
JohnBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #22
A2WheelCpl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I think this topic keeps coming up because guys like me don't know much about Urals, we hear stuff and try and translate it to what we need to do with them. I don't mind the "it's a Ural, it's not meant to be a performance rig" but even the "back roads" around here can dump out onto high ways. Living outside of a major city, they all seem to have "beltways" that wrap around them, Baltimore is 695, Washington is 495, Richmond has 95 down the center and of course the bypass......... having a Ural and from what folks are saying ya need to stay away from these roads and that can be proplematic at times. So if someone can bump the cruise speed by 10 mph to a 65/70 as opposed to a 55/60, I think they can be more user friendly. Of course this is just an opinion I got from some of the questions I asked. As far as me getting one, still try to sort out that out !
Old 02-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #23
ZONKR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2WheelCpl
I think this topic keeps coming up because guys like me don't know much about Urals, we hear stuff and try and translate it to what we need to do with them. I don't mind the "it's a Ural, it's not meant to be a performance rig" but even the "back roads" around here can dump out onto high ways. Living outside of a major city, they all seem to have "beltways" that wrap around them, Baltimore is 695, Washington is 495, Richmond has 95 down the center and of course the bypass......... having a Ural and from what folks are saying ya need to stay away from these roads and that can be proplematic at times. So if someone can bump the cruise speed by 10 mph to a 65/70 as opposed to a 55/60, I think they can be more user friendly. Of course this is just an opinion I got from some of the questions I asked. As far as me getting one, still try to sort out that out !
I stay off the freeways whenever I can even when I'm on the GS but even on the Ural there is always someone going slower than you that you can tuck in behind. Look for a UHaul towning a car carrier or a mini-van with Wisconsin plates or a Buick with a bunch of golf caps in the back window.
BMWMOA 116478
ZONKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #24
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I have never had any problem riding on the freeways and interstates around Seattle, and I'm rarely the slowest vehicle on the road. A Ural certainly isn't the first choice for making miles on the interstate, but it can be done.

Even in states that allow 75 or 85, many major trucking companies govern their trucks to 60-65, just hang with them.

My 07 will do 65 all day, long steep hills will slow it up a little.
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #25
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Thank you for all the comments.

However, I fear this is about to turn into a repeat of the Ural bashing thread which I did not intend. I asked a technical question and received some technical answers for which I am particularly grateful. I know some of you can live with the current Ural products performance and I am happy your location and lifestyle gives you this chance to enjoy a vehicle I really like the look of. For me the current Ural is not an option. I can't get the distances I want to go in the time I have at the speeds a current Ural will do, hence the question.

As the technical answers all seem to be a negative I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on what Ural themselves do next.

On my part I had failed to take into account the Urals weight and design history. I was thinking in terms of a Triumph Scrambler which with 55 HP makes a decent enough tug and is only 20% more powerful than a Ural. A 980cc conversion on a Scram can hit 70 HP and still be reliable. The scrams gearbox however is from a family designed from day one to hit 70 HP in the Thruxton while the Urals goes back to 25 HP machines. Ural are good enough engineers to produce a 50 HP motor if it was as easy as fitting bigger pistons and carbs, so the gearbox limits make sense.

Thanks

Andy

Threewheelbonnie screwed with this post 02-22-2010 at 11:42 PM
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #26
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

I've been nice!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #27
IceBeard
a hack at most things

Oddometer: 14
So (without any "shove it off a cliff" comments please, and no I don't get enough holiday to slow down to 55 and enjoy the ride), if I want that Holy Grail 75 mph Ural what would I need to do?

It's actually not that hard to go 75 on a Ural. Just pull in right behind that 18 wheeler and stay on his bumper. Then, when you start to feel too warm or your heads are so het you can see them glow in the noon day sun, try to pass him...It'll bring reality back in a heart beat.
IceBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #28
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

It's actually not that hard to go 75 on a Ural. Just pull in right behind that 18 wheeler and stay on his bumper
Dats how you become a chalk outline on the road.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #29
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
The trucks here are limited to 56

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #30
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBeard
So (without any "shove it off a cliff" comments please, and no I don't get enough holiday to slow down to 55 and enjoy the ride), if I want that Holy Grail 75 mph Ural what would I need to do?

It's actually not that hard to go 75 on a Ural. Just pull in right behind that 18 wheeler and stay on his bumper. Then, when you start to feel too warm or your heads are so het you can see them glow in the noon day sun, try to pass him...It'll bring reality back in a heart beat.
Flog it without mercy or hook the chair to a more powerful motorcycle.

To get the most out of your Ural, you need to keep it perfectly tuned and remove excess weight and windage. Take the windshields and spare off, go on a diet, pack light.

If you are going to flog it, it is of the utmost importance that you keep an eye on valve clearances, timing and oil levels. Change your oil frequently watch it closely.Too much oil can be a problem just as too little oil is. It creates excess drag and the pressure and froth of higher speeds will push it out. Particularly a problem with overfilled final drives which can oil your brakes.

Tire pressure, fasteners and spokes all need to be kept up.

Carb and exhaust tuning might yield a little improvement, but are as apt to cause problems if not done by an experienced hand, preferably aided by dyno runs. Noise doesn't equal power and lean can increase power but often at the cost of increased heat, something a Ural can ill afford.

The Gear Up is a poor choice for a freeway tourer, even though it can be forced to that role. You could trailer it to where you want to holiday and once there, enjoy riding it as it was designed to be used...
RedMenace is online now   Reply With Quote