Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
ECDLTF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Klr 250

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to look for a service manual and see if I can do some of the maintenance myself. I'm just getting the hang of the kick starter. I had a hard time starting it today, but after re-reading the owners manual and giving it full throttle as it stated, it started right up. When it runs low on gas, will the engine cut out and require turning the fuel lever to the reserve position? I have to get some new tires as it still has the original tires. Thanks again. Have a good evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
I rode a 2001 KLR250 for something over 10,000 miles. It was a fine dual sport. I commuted and took it off road.I never modded it at all. I carried stuff in a tank bag and enjoyed the heck out of the bike.

Oil changes were quite easy as I recall. I checked and adjusted the valves a few times. It wasn't too tough having screw type adjusters. I had a service manual, and I remember it left out a few things in describing the procedure. As I recall, I had to unbolt a cooling fan and let it dangle by the wires. And there was a kind of a double triangle shaped bracket with three bolt holes in each half that had to be removed-no big deal.

I bought the KLR250 specifically because it had a kick starter.I gad owned quite a few dual sports over many years and they all had kick starters. The 250 started so easily that I never regretted it.My KLR250 could sit for six weeks in the winter, and fire off with a single kick as long as I used the starting procedure that the bike liked.

jon
ECDLTF is offline   Reply With Quote