Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
The ONLY time any of my bikes have ever seen the bed of a pickup or trailer is when they're broken down and on the way to or from the shop. Anything else, well, I just couldn't stomach the idea.

David
Thats some funny shit right there...

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #17
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworks
The ONLY time any of my bikes have ever seen the bed of a pickup or trailer is when they're broken down and on the way to or from the shop. Anything else, well, I just couldn't stomach the idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
That's the easy part, I sold my truck. So I do ride all the time. That or shotgun in the tow truck.
+2

Myself, I can understand totin' an 80cc or 125cc dirt bike to the trails. Or even a 250cc for that matter, as you'd be wringing out these bikes' engines just riding 'em there.

But an 800cc adventure bike that is comfortable on the freeway??? I don't understand why anyone would trailer it. The thing is a blast to ride. Road or Off-Road.

My F8 will never see the back of a truck or trailer unless broken down or I'm riding behind one!!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
I love how all of the hardcore riders have to chime in here because of the thread title to say how they would never truck or trailer their bike.

First of all, nobody asked you.

B) There are times when it's convenient or necessary. What if you have a family and are taking a vacation? Maybe you want to spend time with the family and drive together but want to ride a little at the destination?

I know, nobody asked me either......

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #19
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
I love how all of the hardcore riders have to chime in here because of the thread title to say how they would never truck or trailer their bike.

First of all, nobody asked you.

B) There are times when it's convenient or necessary. What if you have a family and are taking a vacation? Maybe you want to spend time with the family and drive together but want to ride a little at the destination?

Around here, if we want to head south in the winter with a bike, we have no other choice. At least not the normal among us. There's always some maniac that'll head out through 3 feet of snow, but not me, at least not for a multi-day ride. I plan to live until I'm 140. 10-year-old Frontier, 6-foot box, tailgate down.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #20
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
What if you have a family and are taking a vacation? Maybe you want to spend time with the family and drive together but want to ride a little at the destination?
Wait... what?

Spend time with the FAMILY?

You're a funny man, DolphinJohn.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #21
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Wait... what?

Spend time with the FAMILY?

You're a funny man, DolphinJohn.

David

Well, I don't have one. I was just, y'know..... speculating or something.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #22
fung
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
yes I throw my Buell in the back of the dodge , when me and the girls and dog go to the cabin. I ride in the morn when they sleep. some times you just got to make it all work out. 3 adult size people and a 100 lb dog, on one bike? not so good.
fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
I have a Ford Super Van E250 (the long one). It's configured to carry up to 5 passengers and three bikes with gear. I have hauled all my dirt bikes and hauled my KLR. I haven't tried the f800 GS yet but I plan to. Need to remove the rear view mirrors and wind screen, should fit. Don't like riding in heavy traffic. Thats all we have here where I live until you get out of town a ways. Been loading bikes in a truck or van to go riding (dirt bikes) for so many years. It feels strange just to start a ride from my house.

LaPorte

LaPorte screwed with this post 03-16-2010 at 09:33 PM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #24
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I ended up getting a Nissan Frontier. I looked at the Tacoma too but preferred the driving position of the Nissan and it was $5500 cheaper. I haven't put the GS it in yet but I did put two dirt bikes in it on Sunday and went to Hollister OHV (in the Bay area). It's great to get a truck one day and use it the next!

As for carrying the 800GS in the truck, well, the people who don't like that can't bite me! After driving back from Death Valley in winter on the GS, I think I've got plenty of long-driving street cred!

Actually, my thought was more about doing a south-west trip later this year with a friend from Australia who's a new rider (very new: he doesn't have a license yet). He probably wouldn't have the time or the desire to drive that far on a bike, so we'd probably take my GS in the truck and maybe rent another bike there or tow my other street bike on a trailer. Probably won't pan out though, so for the main use of carrying a couple of dirt bikes 90 miles, the Frontier crew cab shortbed is excellent.
fhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #25
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,149
short bed + this if you're worried about carrying it tailgate open. You also get a ramp as a bonus. ;)

SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #26
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster
short bed + this if you're worried about carrying it tailgate open. You also get a ramp as a bonus. ;)
For them that don't know, "this" is a ReadyRamp www.readyramp.com

It could be a little longer, but it works fine. I wouldn't trust it to keep an untethered bike from rolling out the back, but it keeps the gear bags and gas cans from sliding out.

Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #27
F8GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I have a Honda Ridgeline. The rear tire sits about 1" from the edge of the tailgate. Works great.
F8GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #28
palada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Been a while since I've revived an old thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammond View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I ended up getting a Nissan Frontier. I looked at the Tacoma too but preferred the driving position of the Nissan and it was $5500 cheaper. I haven't put the GS it in yet but I did put two dirt bikes in it on Sunday and went to Hollister OHV (in the Bay area). It's great to get a truck one day and use it the next!
I'm also thinking of getting a short-bed Frontier, mostly to haul a WR250R, but I want to have the option of hauling an F800GS too. (Sometimes the wife wants to go with me and will ride at the destination, but doesn't like the bike for the ride there.)

How is the Frontier holding up for hauling the F800? Is the tailgate holding up? Issues loading/unloading at an angle?

Edit: just noticed this thread is kind of off-topic for this subforum. Found it with google, so didn't notice ' til too late.

palada screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 11:25 PM
palada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #29
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I have a '04 tacoma (double cab short bed). My one and only regret with it is not getting a longer bed. So my next tacoma will be the sport with the longer bed. Not just for bikes/atvs but other long items. And its not for 500lb adventure bikes. Tacomas have weak tail gates and I dont like to out a lot weight on them.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #30
ninjammin
T-Rexin'

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
I have a '04 tacoma (double cab short bed). My one and only regret with it is not getting a longer bed. So my next tacoma will be the sport with the longer bed. Not just for bikes/atvs but other long items. And its not for 500lb adventure bikes. Tacomas have weak tail gates and I dont like to out a lot weight on them.
I hauled my 800 home from purchasing it in my double cab 04 Tacoma. It fits (at an angle) with the tailgate down and the truck handled it fine. Pretty sure it was the newer composite bed tailgates that were weaker.
ninjammin is offline   Reply With Quote