User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
3Rugrs4GA OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,267
F800GS - Trouble Starting

Hi everyonel...I am having trouble starting my f8gs and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I did not ride my bike during Dec, Jan, or Feb, however, I started my bike every week and let it run for a few minutes...never had trouble starting my bike.

I went out for my first ride on Saturday....rode about 50 miles and the bike was running great. Halfway through my ride I stopped for gas...filled up with 93 at Shell. The bike started immediately after refueling and without hesitation...again the bike ran great.

I decided to ride to work on Monday and had trouble starting the bike....plenty of battery power and a very acitve starter, however, the bike took about at 7 seconds of starter time a twist of the throttle to start. I had the same problem occur Monday afternoon and then again today.

I thought I might have received some bad gas, but the bike does not hesitate or sputter like you would expect with bad gas.

Any ideas what may be causing this and/or what should I do?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
It could be coincidence, but draining the tank and putting in a gallon or two of fresh gas for another go at it can't do any harm and is a pretty easy experiment ... sorry you're having trouble
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
UncleMike
How'd that happen?

Oddometer: 60
I had a similar problem, if not the same. I tried to describe it as best I could and document it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540982

I did get it back from the dealer last Saturday and so far so good.

MJB
UncleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,558
You probably fouled out the plugs.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Under_Score
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I have the same problem every time i fill up with Shell gas, which is right by my house. I have no idea why, but the Shell gas is the only one I find that I have problems starting my bike on. Once it is running it runs like a champ.

...Under_Score
Under_Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
sounds like bad gas to me. Put some seafoam in it
Old 03-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
3Rugrs4GA OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,267
Thanks to all for your input. I am going to drain the gas, or run it out and refuel to see if this solves my problem. Otherwise, she'll take a free ride via BMW Roadside Assistance.

mjbuckner...I agree, my problem sounds identical to yours. Perhaps I need new fuel injectors also, but hopefully not. I didn't previously see the tread you started...thanks for the link.

Again, thank you all.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Just for grins try cycling the key a couple of times before you start the bike. There is a cold start injection process that does not always work reliably. On my Ducati I have to do this even for a quick warm start. Otherwise it might grind away for awhile, and Ducati batteries are not know for their capacity.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 815
Bluhduh

I've got about 8600 miles on mine, ride it most every day, never had a starting problem till a couple weeks ago. I use Shell gas a fair amount since it's convenient. It used to fire immediately no matter the conditions, now it has to think about it when cold.

It almost sounds like my battery is getting weak when I start it first thing after it sits awhile. It catches after a few turns of the crank, then is fine till I let it sit. I'll try Seafoam first and see what happens. if that works, I'll change gasoline. Getting tired of going to the dealer for warranty sh t.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Bad gas with ethanol (absorbs water) will do it. I got a tank at the bottom of the fuel pump tank and it had 35% water & ethanol mix. Also the bike will clog injectors if you idle it weekly during the winter but don't ride it unless you add Seafoam for the winter. These BMW fine Injectors don't push enough volume thru at idle and can actually clog the injectors.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 AM   #11
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Twisting the throttle during starting/directly after?

I've heard rumor that having the throttle open during starting or immediatly after starting sends some special signals to ECU? Anyone have details?

The manual says to crack the throttle to aid starting if the weather is cold.

There was another story about re-calibrating the throttle position sensor by turning on the key and doing some type of throttle incantation....?

yeah... I'm helping alot here right?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Bucko
In a parallel world

My bike started fine all winter (a chilly morning in SoCal is 32 degrees) without cracking the throttle. This morning, at 46 degrees, I did crack the throttle after cranking it for a few seconds three different times and it finally started. It wasn't its normal perky self right away, kinda felt like it was missing.

Last week it would die coming up to a stop if I pulled the clutch in without giving it a little gas. Frustrating. That hasn't happened (yet) today.

It's time to fill the tank. I'll try Chevron this time.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
I had the same problem, only it got bad enough that it wouldn't start at all after the last time I turned it off. Was out riding the other day and the bike was running choppy and stuttering. Pulled over to visually inspect the bike. Saw nothing odd. Got back on and tried to start it up again. Nope. Had to get a tow to the BMW dealer. When it arrived at the dealer, they hooked it up to the diagnostic computer, and a bunch of fault codes came back that were from a dead battery. Saw the screen with my own two eyes. The BMW tech said that this bike requires far more battery maintenance than just starting it up from from time to time over the Winter, which was what I was doing. This is because the F800GS draws from the battery constantly, even when the bike is off, due to the on-board computer and electronics (especially the clock). I was shocked to hear that the battery was dead, because it didn't make sense to me. I have ridden the bike a few times since the weather/roads/drivers have permitted a couple of weeks ago, and figured that riding it would spin the alternator enough to charge the battery back up..... I was wrong. Battery dead. Bike wouldn't start. The dealer hooked the battery up to the charger and it wouldn't even take a charge anymore. The battery was completely shot. Once a battery get low enough it won't charge back up again. It's done.

So, to wrap things up:
Put your battery on a maintainer over the Winter. Starting it up and running it from time to time won't cut it. It'll still be dead or almost dead by Spring unless properly maintained. If Spring is hitting in your neck of the woods and your F800GS is not starting or starting but cutting in and out and running choppy, a dead battery may be the cause. Not necessarily dirty fuel injectors or 10% ethanol fuel. I thought I'd share my first hand experience, for those of you who are experiencing these symptoms.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
I had similar problems (balky starting) until one day mine refused to start at all. Turned out to be the fuel pump and my local dealership cheerfully replaced it.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
Bucko
In a parallel world

Thumb

Thanks, guys. Griz, I live in SoCal and ride it all the time so it's not the battery not getting charged. It could be a crappy battery, though.
Law Dawg, if it continues to run I'll have the dealer check the fuel pump next time it's in (I'm making a list, taking it to the dealer is a pain).

I filled with new gas yesterday and this 50-degree morning it wouldn't start until I opened the throttle. Used to just take a half-second push the button and no throttle. I'll keep my BMW Raodside Assitance card handy...