User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
puckinet OP
Safety third

Oddometer: 345
Info on the F800GS

Hey everyone, I'm looking for input on the F800GS good bad and the ugly. I'm looking at buying one here in the next month or so. A little about me. I'm 6'' 5" about 250 lbs my other bike is a 08 KTM 450 EXCR. I would be using the bike for weekend trips mostly on road some FS roads and maybe dual track. Any info would be great I did a search and did not come up with much. Thanks in advance.
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
You'll need heavier springs front and rear and you'll want bar-risers. Otherwise, it's a great bike.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,211
Bluhduh

Just scroll down and click at one of the many post on the 800 GS. Anything specific you cant find info on, which I doubt you wont, fire away.

Here is the catch all on the bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415604
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,316
I'm 6'3" and 240lbs and the bike fits me great. Had to add an adjustable shift lever and 3.5" bar risers (look a bit goofy but work). I might lower the pegs an inch or so to help when standing. Other than that, all is well!

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Does anyone know when manufacturing on the F800GS started? I am purchasing a used one that has a build date of May, 2008. I am hoping that any issues that were detected and corrected were done before mine was built. I guess they are still working on the charcoal cannister cure from what my soon to be mechanic said. oclv
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Mine's a July of 08 build and it had all the recalls so I suspect yours will too. By now they should have been done though. Take the key to any dealer and they can run it to see if the recalls have been done on the bike. I would, however, immediately check the rear wheel bearigns, particularly the rotor side bearing.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Irish Xplor
Irish Xplor'r

Oddometer: 61
I'm 6/4" and 220 lbs - the 800gs fits me great and I absolutely love it. Lowering the foot pegs (I've done) and adding bar risers (I need to do) - should make it even better. There are plenty of threads talking about the pluses and minuses and comparisons between the KTM 990adv, BMW 1200GS Adv, Buell Ulyses, Vstrom, Tiger, Multi-Strada and KLR. All of these "big bike dual sports" have their pluses and minuses, but IMO - the 800 is the best all-around of the list and near perfect for my needs.

Touring capabilities - it has 6 gears and 85 hp - add luggage and you can ride it all day in relative comfort to wherever you want to go for as long as you want to be gone (I did add the tourtech windscreen for better wind protection). Now it is not as comfortable as the 1200GS ADV. The wind protection, seat comfort and fit for someone our size is better on the 1200GS Adv. For what I do - the 800gs is more than capable.

Off Road - even though it is only 400lbs (dry weight) - 50 lbs lighter than the KTM 990 and 100lbs lighter than the 1200GS Adv, it is still a "big bike". With its 21 inch front tire (add knobbies), high clearance, enduro transmission, chain drive and "pretty good" suspension - it can do more off-road than most of us can handle. BMW claims it is their most off road oriented GS ever. However, anything very tight and technical - I take my KTM 450 EXC. Plenty of threads and opinions about the KTM 990 being the best of the "big bikes" off-road with a much better suspension. I cannot speak to that, but even if that is true, ithe 800gs would come in with a #2 ranking.

Sport riding - yes it can handle the twisties all day and it's handling is really amazing for something set up to be "more off-road". However, this is where you have to start looking at compromises. To make it more off road - knobbies and a 21 inch front tire are not the ideal formula for a "sport bike". Take a test drive - you will be pleased with this bikes handling.

Riding 2 up - not what it does best, but you may be pleasently suprised about it's size and comfort. It is actually longer than the BMW 1200gs and there is plenty of room for a passenger. Unfortunately, the seat is not the best. I'm sure their is an aftermarket seat out there that could make this bike very pleasant for a passenger.

We all drink the kool-aid of our favorite brand and model - but IMO - you cannot go wrong with the 800gs. I have not wiped the smile off my face since the day I brought mine home.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
The F800's began in 2005, and came to the USA in 2006, I believe. The GS came later, but are still several years old now. So most of the new bike bugs should be worked out.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
puckinet OP
Safety third

Thanks for the info

I would like to thank everyone for the info. I did go and test ride one and all I have to says is "it will be mine" nice bike meets everything I want in a bike. Like everyone said no bike is perfect but this is pretty close for me. Thanks again Rick

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
Old 03-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
yellow zebra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
launch date for 800GS

bike was launched to the media, etc in late 2007.

Was sold from early 2008 onwards.
Cheers
yellow zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow zebra
bike was launched to the media, etc in late 2007.

Was sold from early 2008 onwards.
Cheers
Wrong-o. The international press intro was in Feb 08 http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...article_id=619.

The bikes were due in States in March 08, didn't get here till September.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
GSranger
blacksheep

Oddometer: 83
Talking +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Xplor
We all drink the kool-aid of our favorite brand and model - but IMO - you cannot go wrong with the 800gs. I have not wiped the smile off my face since the day I brought mine home.
GSranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
puckinet OP
Safety third

Put a deposit on a F800GS this weekend pick up in 2 weeks thanks for the info.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
I bought a 2010 year model in 2009 (bike was manufactured in Oct 2009). I test rode one before I bought mine and I liked the feel. I needed to add a few things to personalize the bike for my taste. I added a crossbar on the handlebars for looks and to allow more places to mount stuff (GPS etc). I needed to replace the shift lever with one a bit longer so I could wear my ridding boots and still be able to shift. Added a rack on the rear, skidplate and Barkbusters. I had a problem with the stock windscreen and turbulences. Bought a used windscreen off of a GS650 Twin and the problem was solved. I still need to add a few more things.

The bike is fun to ride and I enjoy it the most on twistes. Haven't done any dirt so far, but I looking forward to that--need better off road tires.
Only have 1,800 miles on the bike so far but it has been trouble free. The only thing that needed to be done was adjust the clutch cable.

LaPorte
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454
I guess they are still working on the charcoal cannister cure from what my soon to be mechanic said. oclv
I got the cure for that. Remove it.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote