User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,356
Question F650GS In The Shop Twice In Two Months

First time was for a noisy fuel pump and this time its leaking oil from a water pump seal. The bike is covered under warranty and all that jazz but she only has 2200 miles on the clock. This is kind of disheartening and I understand machines malfunction but what a pisser.

Anybody else experience either of these issues?

Aside from this the bike has been great and a blast to ride, looking at an empty garage on what should be a perfect Sunday to ride is a real bummer. Now I have to work on the honey-do list!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,719
That sucks! I've had mine for 6 months, 9,500K and not a problem (yet) Sorry to hear that........

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

Meh, what are you gonna do. Stuff happens and the service department at the dealer has been very accommodating. I was just curious if others had these same issues.

Is it just me or is the urge to ride the strongest when you cant?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

So get this, of course you cant get just the seal, it only comes with the water pump! Leave it to the Germans. And of course its coming from the motherland
Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms
So get this, of course you cant get just the seal, it only comes with the water pump! Leave it to the Germans. And of course its coming from the motherland
WTF kind of stupid shit is that...
Hope mines due for a water pump before a seal otherwise im making one, another thing im not looking forward to is the grips are half worn out, you have to buy the whole assembly for the left hand side at 200 and something bucks... so ill probably ditch the heated grips.
Sorry to hear about yours, my 800 has been great, the dealer has been less than accomodating about the bike falling apart after 1000k's but once i pre delivery checked it myself it has been no trouble to own and nothing else has fallen off. No i havn't had the problems you've had though.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Talking Cheap Grip Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD800
another thing im not looking forward to is the grips are half worn out, you have to buy the whole assembly for the left hand side at 200 and something bucks... so ill probably ditch the heated grips.
Sorry to hear about yours, my 800 has been great, the dealer has been less than accomodating about the bike falling apart after 1000k's but once i pre delivery checked it myself it has been no trouble to own and nothing else has fallen off. No i havn't had the problems you've had though.
I didn't like the skinny little grips so I just went into Struddy's Sports and bought a $5.00 cricket bat grip (choice of colours!). You only have to cut two 10cm lengths, warm them with hot water, lube them up (I am so trying to ignore all the potential jokes here!) with something like Windex and in less than 10 minutes you have thicker grips (or a new outer surface). Heated grips still work and I suspect that it reduces vibration.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD800
WTF kind of stupid shit is that...
Hope mines due for a water pump before a seal otherwise im making one, another thing im not looking forward to is the grips are half worn out, you have to buy the whole assembly for the left hand side at 200 and something bucks... so ill probably ditch the heated grips.

German over-engineering at its finest!