Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #2341
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1952
Klay my sife is about 5 ft. 6 and fits it pretty well. The bike is light which really helps. Going on 11,000 on mine. How abut you? I really do want to take a longer trip on mine. I have larger bikes but there is something about small engine bikes that gets me excited. Firts one out tis year was the TTR230 followed by the 200. I took the DR650 over the weekend to heat it up for an oil change.
I went for a ride today...I took the 200. I love to putt around on it. There's 12,500 miles on it now. The mileage figure is deceptive because it gets used a lot more than that...five or six small trips a day. My wife got an identical new one in 2001 when I got mine, and she has over 13,000 miles on it. It has more miles because she lent it to my stepson for the summer last summer, and she rode her DR650 instead.

I'll never get rid of the 200. I'm less inclined to ride it on long trips these days...we're more likely to stick them on the trailer and then go putt around a city or in the Ozarks for a few days and then stick them on the trailer and drive home.

We were riding around town together the other day on our 200s. It's just immensely pleasing to ride our minibikes around.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #2342
mamacone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
The fuel needle must be leaking. That petcock doesn't have a vacuum line, right?
Correct, no vacuum line. plugged it off on the carburetor side.
mamacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #2343
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacone
Correct, no vacuum line. plugged it off on the carburetor side.

The fuel needle and seat must be leaking then. It's real easy to pop new ones in there.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #2344
capnkirk13
n00b

Oddometer: 7

Hey all! Newb here on a few fronts...new to the site, new to riding and a happy new owner of a 2000 DR200. I got about 100+ miles on her so far. Now I did ride some trail 90's back in the day but until 3wks ago my last ride was in I think '82 when they came out with the water cooled YZ125. That thing was no trail 90. Let's just say that after about a 3 min "ride" (quotes because running behind a nose up bike probably isn't considered riding) it was 4 wheels for me for the next 28 years. Now I'm kicking myself for all the lost years. This is some fun $h!t.

About the ride: Clean bike that one of the previous owners layed over on a rock putting a small dent in the tank and taking out a mirror that I found out, after ordering DR200 mirror, had been replaced with smaller "Enduro" mirrors. Previous owner also did airbox mod...haven't checked the jets to see if they are stock or not. Exhaust looks stock. Bike is coldblooded like everyone here says but I wonder if having to start it at least 6-10 times is normal. On average it's been 50ish+ when I've rode. Normal scenario is pull bike out in sun->key on, switch on, full choke->start->bike runs for a few seconds->quick flick of the throttle(if not bike won't start)->start->bike runs for a few seconds->repeat and the bike runs a little longer each time until a can step away for a few minutes. Any throttle and it'll die. After a few minutes set to partial choke and let sit for another 5 minutes as I'm suiting up. Then choke off and depending on temp I'll get some cold-blooded behavior as I take off but after it warms up all is good. Except for an inconsistent acceleration at the upper end of the rpm's when I open it up which, according to posts, is more than likely dirty jet/carb.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...great info here! Here are some pics of the fun I've been having.

capnkirk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #2345
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk13
Hey all! Newb here on a few fronts...new to the site, new to riding and a happy new owner of a 2000 DR200. I got about 100+ miles on her so far. Now I did ride some trail 90's back in the day but until 3wks ago my last ride was in I think '82 when they came out with the water cooled YZ125. That thing was no trail 90. Let's just say that after about a 3 min "ride" (quotes because running behind a nose up bike probably isn't considered riding) it was 4 wheels for me for the next 28 years. Now I'm kicking myself for all the lost years. This is some fun $h!t.

About the ride: Clean bike that one of the previous owners layed over on a rock putting a small dent in the tank and taking out a mirror that I found out, after ordering DR200 mirror, had been replaced with smaller "Enduro" mirrors. Previous owner also did airbox mod...haven't checked the jets to see if they are stock or not. Exhaust looks stock. Bike is coldblooded like everyone here says but I wonder if having to start it at least 6-10 times is normal. On average it's been 50ish+ when I've rode. Normal scenario is pull bike out in sun->key on, switch on, full choke->start->bike runs for a few seconds->quick flick of the throttle(if not bike won't start)->start->bike runs for a few seconds->repeat and the bike runs a little longer each time until a can step away for a few minutes. Any throttle and it'll die. After a few minutes set to partial choke and let sit for another 5 minutes as I'm suiting up. Then choke off and depending on temp I'll get some cold-blooded behavior as I take off but after it warms up all is good. Except for an inconsistent acceleration at the upper end of the rpm's when I open it up which, according to posts, is more than likely dirty jet/carb.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...great info here! Here are some pics of the fun I've been having.

Welcome to the asylum, I think you're a neighbor. I was just through there last week on my DR.

this might look familiar

I had to go check out Fish Lake Rd. I had one map said it was paved and one map said it was gravel, just wanted to make sure about the paved part before we headed down there with friends on their ZX14 and VFR.

Jodie's 200 is cold blooded, but will normally start on full choke and idle fine. A few minutes on choke and she's good to go, no longer than gearing up and getting helmets on etc., 2-3 minutes. Bone stock though.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #2346
capnkirk13
n00b

Oddometer: 7
That looks very familiar. My first trip on the road in traffic was a 20 miler to Cecil Cr. and back.

About 1/4mile So. of your big rock picture. Used to do wildland firefighting out of the Highlands Fire Camp years ago. Can't wait till the snows gone and I can get farther up Toats Coulee. PM me...maybe we can hook up and ride some time.
capnkirk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #2347
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
I went for a ride today...I took the 200. I love to putt around on it. There's 12,500 miles on it now. The mileage figure is deceptive because it gets used a lot more than that...five or six small trips a day. My wife got an identical new one in 2001 when I got mine, and she has over 13,000 miles on it. It has more miles because she lent it to my stepson for the summer last summer, and she rode her DR650 instead.

I'll never get rid of the 200. I'm less inclined to ride it on long trips these days...we're more likely to stick them on the trailer and then go putt around a city or in the Ozarks for a few days and then stick them on the trailer and drive home.

We were riding around town together the other day on our 200s. It's just immensely pleasing to ride our minibikes around.

I think as I get older my bikes willl get smaller. But I will still ride.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #2348
Atom00
Young Rider

Oddometer: 24
Question

Quote:
It's probably a dirty carb. But did you prime the carb before trying to start it? Throw some fresh gas in the tank to make sure the carb is really getting gas.
After some tinkering I dont think it has to do with the carb or anything. When I have the bike on(not running) and press the start switch I hear this clicking that after some review I am pretty positive is comeing from what this round object? right above the battery ( battery is directly connected to it). Everyone once in a while the signal seems to get past this problem and reach the starter but most of the time ( about 90%) the signal seems to stop there , at which point it makes the clicking sound. Any ideas[IMG]images/icons/icon5.gif[/IMG]
Atom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #2349
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Is that the solenoid?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #2350
ridingleaky
Just startin' out

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom00
After some tinkering I dont think it has to do with the carb or anything. When I have the bike on(not running) and press the start switch I hear this clicking that after some review I am pretty positive is comeing from what this round object? right above the battery ( battery is directly connected to it). Everyone once in a while the signal seems to get past this problem and reach the starter but most of the time ( about 90%) the signal seems to stop there , at which point it makes the clicking sound. Any ideas[IMG]images/icons/icon5.gif[/IMG]

Try tapping the round thing gently with a hammer while you have the starter button depressed.
ridingleaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #2351
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom00
Your battery is discharged....... Could be just a bad battery....or a discharged battery due to a faulty charging system. Take the battery off.... charge it with no more than a 2 amp charger.....see if you can revive it.... How old is it???

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #2352
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
FMF Exhaust

I have not posted much but I wanted to post about the FMF Exhaust. Louder than stock but bearable when riding. Deeper tone. Mounted with no problems. The muffler mounts a little different than stock so there is a spacer for the side panel. Not enough to notice. I just got the jet kit from Jesse so I'll report later.
on a bathroom scale, stock approx. 7.5 pounds. FMF, 3.5 pounds.

Stock and FMF:

FMF on bike:
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #2353
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
9.99 purple bars installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent
I had a nasty fall the other day on ice and tweaked my bars too. Nothing major, but i hate bent bars. bikebandits got handlebars on clearance for 9.99

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/17261

They are purple, but for 10 bucks who cares. haha ill tell you how they fit as soon as they arrive!
I bought these bars during the 9.99 clearance. Here are some pictures of them installed. The bend is slightly different than stock. I cut about 1" off each end which put it close to the stock bar width.

Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #2354
ktn00000
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Not recommended, but wow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-arrested.html

Not recommended, but wow

A tad anti-social
ktn00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #2355
Atom00
Young Rider

Oddometer: 24
Thanks for the help, it turned out to be the battery. I also recently received an aftermarket muffler of some guy on ebay. Its a custom made supertrapp and is so far pretty sweet! I have a feeling its very similar if not the same as the FMF, Ill be sure to post pics and a review soon.
Atom00 is offline   Reply With Quote