User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
cmg OP
wannabe dirt rider

Oddometer: 292
Talking Lockyer 27th March

Well Myself (DR650), Hodgo(Africa Twin 750), Gidyup (KLR650) and Montgomery (WR250) went for a ride into Lockyer State Forest.
First I must give kudos to both Hodgo and Gidyup, I think they were put through their paces, but neither complained or whinged (much).
I met Hodgo here in Brisbane for the ride out to Gatton, where we met up with Montgomery and Gidyup. We stood around speaking shit for a while then headed off. We headed straight into the sandy fire trails which twisted its way around the west (?) side of the forest. Slowly the trails got a little rocky and began to incline, and by the time we stopped for our first rest we were well out of sand and fully into the loose rocky trails.

From there we rode along the ridge up to the old MX area, some great views to be had but no pictures were taken here. Then the decent down into the forest again. I was looking for a trail I’d seen in the past, but we passed it (twice I think), the rode around in circles for a while until I realised where we were. We then backtracked (again) to get to the track. The Fire trail petered out into a rutted shitty trail with patches of deep soft sand which would’ve been fun on the big twin . Eventually we found the track I was looking for.
Since I was first there I whipped out the camera and got all arty (beautiful DR with riders in the background about to do a short steepish decent)

Then we stopped for another rest, before doing the track, and Gidyup asked

“is that the snotty crap you mentioned that we just went through?”
“umm no, but don’t worry, we aren’t going there, and it’ll be all fire trails from now on” was roughly my reply I think .

So we whipped of up this yet unridden track only to realise we’d ridden down here about 20mins earlier. Ah the pleasure of riding in circles………..
So I says “on our first decent we passed another track on the corner, want to check that out?”
The consensus was “yep lets do it”
So we rode back up and into that track, which 50mts in turned into rocky single trail, again perfect for the big twin . It was a constant battle to keep the bike on line with all the rocks until we came to a downhill section. I stopped here (as I had earlier in another place) to ask whether we wanted to go down here, or turn around and go back the way we came. Monty decided to go down and scout it out, as he was on the “small” bike.
Here he is coming back up, check him at the 9sec mark, you have to look closely.

The description was “shitty loose rocky crap for about 500mts then its better”. So down we went.

As usual, the camera does not do the hills justice.
Again, glad I wasn’t on the big girl, kudos to Hodgo again.
From here we were all a little hot and worn, and it was close to my time to be heading off. Gidyup lead us through the forest and back toward the highway. We came upon a rocky decent which was in pretty good condition. Gidyup and myself continued on and stopped further up the road to regroup, after a while it became apparent the other two were not coming, so back we headed. Evidently the big girl had laid down for a little rest on the downhill, only about 10mts from where it turned into nice smooth fire trail

Then straight to the highway and home.

Thanks guys for the ride, it wasnt that long, and possibly a little harder than anticipated, but hopefully an experience. I cant wait for Hodgo's thread title "Turning my AT750 into a single track weapon"

Nice to meet Gidyup & Hodgo, and hopefully we'll do it again one day.

Dont like what I post? leave your comments HERE

I used to ride.....
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
, 10

cmg screwed with this post 03-27-2010 at 04:27 PM
cmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Looks like a good day in the trails! Thanks for the report, pics and videos
Old 03-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
dazworld
Not right with the world

Oddometer: 39
Didnt get up early enough to come, maybe next time

DAZ
dazworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,517
Thanks Guys

Well, your right the camera doesn't do the hills any justice at all. Man that was hard work at times.

Bloody good ride though. Thanks Chris Mat & Ray.

Look forward to the next one.

Perhaps not single track snotty stuff on the AT though. Will have to get the CR500e and have a crack instead of just talking about it.

Thanks Again.
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Nice report guys. I don't know how Hodgo does it, but he does.
Well done mate.

Cheers
Rob
Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Montgomery
Always learning

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for writing up the report Chris, it's well done.

I also have a photo taken at the three-way intersection but from a different angle than yours. Even though the AT is in the foreground and would naturally appear larger than others behind it, it still shows the relative size of the beast, I think.

The photo quality is typical phone-grade stuff but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Cheers,
M

Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote