Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #33166
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlocks
Today I finally got around to securing the neutral sending unit in my 2006 DR650. My sending unit screws were barely more than hand tight so it was a good thing I checked. Everything went well until I tightened one of the new replacement screws and the plastic sending unit broke. I was surprised because I did not put much pressure on it.
Upon examination I saw that the wire going into the unit went up and over the underside cylindrical part of the sending unit. This cylinder fits inside the cylinder hole in the case. There is no groove or hole or anything for the wire to go through, so it is just pinched between the sending unit cylinder and the cylinder hole in the case. This makes it impossible to tighten the screws! That is probably why the original screws weren't tight. In all the posts I read about securing the sending unit screws, I never saw this mentioned.

Q1. Is this normal for the wire to be pinched rather than have a groove or hole where it enters the plastic sending unit?

Did yours have a groove or hole or other provision so the wire was not pinched?
I wonder if mine had a manufacturing flaw.

Q2. I am thinking of not replacing the sending unit and living without the neutral indicator. Do I need to do anything other than seal the hole where the wire exits to the outside world?

Do I have to do anything with the little hole in the middle of the cylindrical hole in the case where the sending unit mounts, or the two sending unit mounting screw holes?
What does the other side look like?

Just remove it and plug the hole in the case where the wires come out. Don't worry about the hole made by removing the NSU itself.
Quote:
Q3. I have removed my sidestand switch. From the electrical diagram of the ignition system it looks like the CDI unit has 2 grounds. One is just a direct ground, but the other ground runs through either the side stand switch or the neutral switch when closed. I take it the neutral switch is inside the case and "activates" the sending unit. Since I will no longer have either switch, do I need to wire this point on the CDI unit directly to ground or will the bike start without it?

If so, where is the easiest or best place to ground it? At the junction of the diodes? Do I even need the diodes anymore?

Thanks in advance.
Easiest is...
The clutch switch is bypassed by joining the male/female bullet connectors inside the headlight bundle.
The stand switch is bypassed by cutting and joining the wires.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #33167
TREE
Interloper

Oddometer: 3,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliRTF
I'm installing them right now, and the left hand one went on fine. I'm removing the old grip from the throttle sleeve, and it appears as though the grip rubber is basically fused to the plastic sleeve. Any advice on getting the grip off? Did you have to source an aftermarket sleeve?
I'm going to keep carving the rubber grip off, but I welcome other ideas.
I used a new MotionPro throttle sleeve # 01-0093 for $12 from avisciouscycle.ca

Grip went on easy with a push but snug.
Left grip was much tighter fit, used glue on throttle side, no glue on clutch.

I put in a switched relay today, easy install near batt, no long wires running to headlight.
Used the empty black 2 pin connector at front top of airbox for my + - to run the relay.

It slides into one of these blue sockets in pic below that I wired into the relay energizing circuit.

The black Oxford power wire to battery ground now goes through the relay on the way to battery neg terminal.

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz

TREE screwed with this post 03-28-2010 at 05:16 PM
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #33168
advfrk
Grateful ADVer

Oddometer: 712
Does anyone know where I can get case savers for both sides and a new rear brake lever? My crazy ex decided to hit my bike with her mini van and now I'm left trying to fix all the damage. I found all the other parts needed but these. WTF is wrong with women? Edit-don't answer the last question it will take up to much space.
04 Bandit 1200s When I wanna fly
advfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #33169
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by advfrk
Does anyone know where I can get case savers for both sides and a new rear brake lever? My crazy ex decided to hit my bike with her mini van and now I'm left trying to fix all the damage. I found all the other parts needed but these. WTF is wrong with women? Edit-don't answer the last question it will take up to much space.
Brake pedal is only available from Suzuki.

For the case guards go here:

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/En...ds/DR650SE.htm

PS: Sorry about the ex. Guess there is a reason she is now the ex, right?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #33170
advfrk
Grateful ADVer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Brake pedal is only available from Suzuki.

For the case guards go here:

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/En...ds/DR650SE.htm

PS: Sorry about the ex. Guess there is a reason she is now the ex, right?
That's right. Just never even dreamed she was capable of this. She knows how much I love that bike so thats what she went for.
Thank you for the info.
04 Bandit 1200s When I wanna fly
advfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #33171
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by advfrk

Geez. I know there's three sides to every story, but, man, what a vindictive bitch. Is she insured? Was it a hit-and-run?
Krusty ... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #33172
Dyno
Conquistador

Oddometer: 1,779
Forgive me if my presumption is incorrect, but:

I think you tried to put it in backwards. The unit installs to the case in the same orientation that you are holding it in the picture. It does not flip over and install down into the shift drum bore.

I'll try to dig up some pics in a bit. Hope I misread your post.....

Quote:
Today I finally got around to securing the neutral sending unit in my 2006 DR650. My sending unit screws were barely more than hand tight so it was a good thing I checked. Everything went well until I tightened one of the new replacement screws and the plastic sending unit broke. I was surprised because I did not put much pressure on it.
Upon examination I saw that the wire going into the unit went up and over the underside cylindrical part of the sending unit. This cylinder fits inside the cylinder hole in the case. There is no groove or hole or anything for the wire to go through, so it is just pinched between the sending unit cylinder and the cylinder hole in the case. This makes it impossible to tighten the screws! That is probably why the original screws weren't tight. In all the posts I read about securing the sending unit screws, I never saw this mentioned.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1269743435

Q1. Is this normal for the wire to be pinched rather than have a groove or hole where it enters the plastic sending unit?

Did yours have a groove or hole or other provision so the wire was not pinched?
I wonder if mine had a manufacturing flaw.

Q2. I am thinking of not replacing the sending unit and living without the neutral indicator. Do I need to do anything other than seal the hole where the wire exits to the outside world?

Do I have to do anything with the little hole in the middle of the cylindrical hole in the case where the sending unit mounts, or the two sending unit mounting screw holes?

Q3. I have removed my sidestand switch. From the electrical diagram of the ignition system it looks like the CDI unit has 2 grounds. One is just a direct ground, but the other ground runs through either the side stand switch or the neutral switch when closed. I take it the neutral switch is inside the case and "activates" the sending unit. Since I will no longer have either switch, do I need to wire this point on the CDI unit directly to ground or will the bike start without it?

If so, where is the easiest or best place to ground it? At the junction of the diodes? Do I even need the diodes anymore?

Thanks in advance.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #33173
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 702
Pannier racks (on the cheap)

I painted the racks this a.m. & just finished mounting the bags.
two 8' sticks of 1/2" tubing $16 I had the hardware and paint.
The bags were $156.35 but it took awhile to get them.
Gas cans $15

Next project is to build a larger aluminum tool box.

SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #33174
Tucos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudInMyBlood
Hi,

I was riding my '05 DR650 yesterday, stopped, went to to start the bike and no go. Pulled the seat and tank off checked wire connections, looks good, checked for spark and no spark. The bike turns over fine but no spark. Any ideas?

Thanks
My guess would be the kickstand switch.
Tucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #33175
MudInMyBlood
...shake vigorously

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucos
My guess would be the kickstand switch.
Tried that, and neutral safety switch...but either of those would not let the engine turn over, it cranks just fine.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #33176
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Grifter,
The first picute, the plug thingy in your hand, is that a 12V power plug? I've been looking at mine each time I take the tank off, and can't for the life of me figure out what it is??
If it is an electrical plug, how do you hook it up to something? It seems the little holes are filled with foam?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
I used the supplied switched 12V plug up in the headlight nacelle. I used no relay with my Symtec grips. No idea how much current your Oxford's draw but if only 25 or 30 Watts, no need for relay. I cut off the stock Suzuki plug and soldered the pair in to power my grips. No trip to battery, no extra ground required. Too easy.
3 years, no fires, shorts, blown fuses or failures. Just nice hot grips.

FYI : There are at least TWO more switched 12V plugs around the battery and on the right side near main fuse. Ever noticed all those plugs around in there? Ever wondered what they do?

At least some of these are 12V switched supplies. I don't remember which, been too long. These are all around the battery and main fuse area. Get out your VOM and go to work. Easy to figure out.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #33177
cemory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudInMyBlood
Tried that, and neutral safety switch...but either of those would not let the engine turn over, it cranks just fine.
Make sure you didn't accidentally push the kill switch button (yes, i have done it).

Opps, I don't think it cranks if you push the kill switch. Next I would bypass the clutch switch.
cemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #33178
Artlocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
neutral sending unit f**up

Dyno, unfortunately and embarrassing for me you are correct. I had the sending unit turned around. I couldn't find the emoticon for moron otherwise I would have put it here.

Bassman, your advice to replace one screw at a time is the way to go. I removed both screws then went to the hardware store looking for screws, further reducing my attention.

The moral of the story, replace one screw at a time and don't rush through it because it is easy.
Artlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #33179
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky
Grifter,
The first picute, the plug thingy in your hand, is that a 12V power plug? I've been looking at mine each time I take the tank off, and can't for the life of me figure out what it is??
If it is an electrical plug, how do you hook it up to something? It seems the little holes are filled with foam?
Thanks
I have no idea what that plug is but I don't think it's 12V source. Someone told me what it was years ago, I've forgotten, sorry. There are so many plugs on the DR. The reason has to do with the fact that this basic model is used for several other Suzuki models sold in various parts of the world using the same basic platform. The Freewind is one bike I know of, I think there are a couple more.

I suck at reading schematics so just use my VOM to find voltage when I need it. Some are not switched, which means it is HOT all the time. Most are switched. Some are mysteries. Be sure to find the one up in the headlight. Little plastic open two wire plug just hanging there. It is there for running accessories. Use it, but Fuse it in-line.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #33180
MudInMyBlood
...shake vigorously

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemory
Make sure you didn't accidentally push the kill switch button (yes, i have done it).

Opps, I don't think it cranks if you push the kill switch. Next I would bypass the clutch switch.
Kill switch and clutch won't let it crank over...turns over just fine.

Anyone know about the pick-up coil and the power source coil? Location?