Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #33211
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Anyone have a new Fairing or Windshield that works?

springtime!
time to re-farkle, new accessories, etc.

Anyone come across a new Windshield or Fairing rig that works well?
My 2C review is that all the tack-on-to-stock-shroud types end up too crowded for me... that is, doing the "tuck" hits helmet on whatever is up there since the headlight/shroud assembly is so close, and the tilt thereof rakes it back sorta into your midsection...
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #33212
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump
A throttle tube from an early 2000's Yamaha R6 (from about '98 to '03) goes right on the DR and offers a short twist. And the grip slips off the tube quite easily. If you go to a Yamaha dealer, it's part # 5SL-26240-01-00. They sell for about $10.

The R6 tube is a very popluar mod among the SV650 crowd because of the the short twist. And I know for a fact that the SV650 throttle tube (2003 and newer) fits onto the DR650 because that's what I'm using. The SV650 grip isn't glued onto the tube like that of the DR. When I changed my hand grips, I tossed the DR's throttle tube in the trash and used the OEM tube from my SV650.
We have to start catalogging some of these off-brand fixes, like this throttle tube and the non-vacuum petcock from a Yamaha Raptor that fits the stock tank..etc. There is just so much info out here!! Like the 13 tooth sprocket that fits from another brand.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 03-29-2010 at 01:56 PM
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #33213
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,706
A suzuki fable.

A young boy (it's my story, dammit!) caves in and get a DR650SE. 2000 model, pretty good shape, "the Neutral light stopped working last fall".

It's home less than 5 minutes when he turns it on it's side and tears the cover off to rip the clutch out.

Problem # 1: The bolt next to the clutch cable mount. It's open to the elements on the back side of the threads.

(If this bolt comes out of your case intact, put some never seize on it while you still can.)

A few well placed curses and a stainless EZ-lok insert later, the young man returns his attention to the NSU. He looks for the screws that are supposed to be falling out. They aren't. Not very tight, but intact. Instead, he finds a bad solder joint:

The dude re-does the solder joint, and adds red loctite AND safety wire.

If the light stops working again, the guy will ride without worry after re-arranging some wires on the relay.

The moral of this story?

Sometimes a bad switch is just a bad switch.

(But at least now I'm not worried about it, I know what shape the clutch is in, and all the bolts are removable again.)

And then they lived happily ever after.

The End
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #33214
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno
A suzuki fable.....

The End

I love a happy ending.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #33215
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbik
Since I mounted a set of Denali lights onto a DR650, people might be interested in the mounting process: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=18
Great write up on the seat and the denali's. Have you thought about removing the snorkel?
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #33216
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,600
So what is that plastic gear in there? I don't like plastic parts in motors, especially gears...
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #33217
DRPhoenix
Viking

Oddometer: 112
Know what I need to do, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Last years tire change went over small dent in front rim, this years tire change reveals dent turned into crack (upper left of photo).
Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #33218
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPhoenix
Know what I need to do, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Last years tire change went over small dent in front rim, this years tire change reveals dent turned into crack (upper left of photo).
Give it the float test by the famous Carroll Smith

Throw it in the ocean, if it floats it's still good
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #33219
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
You mean pilot jet, right? I'm thinking the old pilot jet might have a bit of debris in it. Hold it up to the light to see if you can clearly see light through it. The smallest bit of dirt, sand, varnish, etc will cause headaches like this.
yes, the pilot jet, sorry, late at night etc etc. and after inspecting the old pilot jet there certainly was a speck of crud lodged in there. its the little black dot inbetween the pilot jet and single strand of electrical wire i used to push it out with. for reference, the wire is about 0.28mm diameter.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #33220
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,635
Up-and-runnin'?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap
yes, the pilot jet...
Well blackcap, is your bike squared-away, and ready to take on the world?...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #33221
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by (none)
So what is that plastic gear in there? I don't like plastic parts in motors, especially gears...

Oil pump gear.
Krusty ... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #33222
DRPhoenix
Viking

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWizard
Give it the float test by the famous Carroll Smith

Throw it in the ocean, if it floats it's still good
It surely would float, but thinking I must have nailed it close to the factory weld point. Looking to relace hub to a better than stock rim, so looking to the DR650 thread for the usual awesome advice and tips.

Cheers, Alex.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #33223
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbik
Hi,

after my first season on a bike last year which I spent on a DR650, this year I had to decide if I wanna upgrade (Vstrom came to mind) or stick with what I have and make it a tad more travel friendly. Seat, tank, barkbusters, windshield etc. Well, the tank(IMS) and the seat(sargent) are here and here are some pictures for you to enjoy. First a word about the stock seat/IMS combo. I read people complaining about how tough it is to get it mounted:

Now for the sargent seat. I didn't have a chance to go for long rides so far. (my physio therapist would lynch me if he knew I'm even near my bike right now) but on shorter trips (20-30 miles) it is significantly better than the stock seat. The stock seat is plain torture, I say ... and I do ride bicycles long range ...

And here are some pictures of how the seats compare on their business ends:

So, as you can see, it's considerably wider, but not higher. All together, I think money well spent. I can't compare it to a Corbin(I have none, neither saw one leave alone sat on one) but it seems like a leap forward especially for longer trips.

Freaky

Thanks for taking the time to post this comparison. I'm thinking about a Sargent seat as well, looks good!!!

I know what you mean about the V Strom thing. Had one for a month last summer. Put around 1,000 miles on it and sold it. Great bike but just kind of boring. I'm a dual sport guy. The V Strom is a road bike no matter what they say.

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #33224
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Well blackcap, is your bike squared-away, and ready to take on the world?...

just a few more tweaks here and there. still need to get through the run in period with the new transmission then ill dial in the carb some more when im more confident opening the engine up fully. for now she is good to run around though and ill try to start a rebuild thread somewhere here if anyones interested.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #33225
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by (none)
You should see how much it wobbles even from new.

The pin it rides on is not fixed in the case but relies on a circlip allowing movement in and out,up and down.
Never read of a failure but it seems hokey,maybe the floatyness is what stops it wearing out or flying to bits.

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote