Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2010, 03:55 AM   #11
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim
Everytime you stop use the same techniques you would use in an emergency. I start with light rear brake to scrub a little speed and then apply the front right afterwards, using BOTH brakes together. May not be the right way but it works for me.
I'm not sure why you think using BOTH brakes together is the wrong way? Using both brakes together is absolutely the best way. The majority of your stopping power is in your front brake. You also use the rear to keep the bike going straight, otherwise the back end is moving faster than the front and it will slide out on you. Conversely, if you only use your rear brake, the back end will skid out and one of two things will happen. If your lucky, it will just take longer to stop and you skid the back tire a bit side ways. If your not lucky, the bike gets sideways and catapults you in what is known as a high side.

I'm teaching my 9 year old daughter to ride a dirt bike right now. The main thing I try to get into her head is to do most of her slowing down with both brakes before she gets to a corner. Once she starts turning, only use the bake brake in the corner.

I'm sure someone will pipe up and say that you can use both brakes in a corner, which is technically correct. What your trying to avoid is locking up the front wheel in a corner. The instant you lock up the front wheel in a corner, the bike washes out from under you in what is known as a low side.

Good luck, and have fun out there.

Todd-Squad