User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
kkesp OP
UPSIDERIGHT

Oddometer: 226
Tank pannier mounting F800 GS

I had a tank bag but it kind of got in the way while standing. I've been thinking about the pannier setup but not sure about the mounting, ie. do they rub the paint, block air flow, how far down do they hang? I've also been looking to see if someone has mounted them to their engine guards. If the Wolfman or some other brand had an opening on the back (like a laptop bag you slip over the handle of a rolling suitcase) that you could slip over the top of the bar and strap on without going over the faux tank. Anyone done or seen this? If you have tank panniers on an F800 GS I'd like to hear about your impressions?

Thanks
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous main- stream media which holds forth the proposition that it isentirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
kkesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,895
One of the UK guys over at UKGSer fitted the 5 ltr Kreiga packs to the Adventure-Spec crash bars (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=99) and Woodworks has some tank panniers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=595).
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 04-22-2009 at 02:06 PM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Yes, as Paul said, I occasionally use these Aerostich tank panniers when I don't want the tankbag in the way.

The straps across the faux tank are lined with fleece, and the backs of the bags have soft, foam rubber panels, so they don't scratch anything. They do slightly block the air scoops, but I haven't noticed my bike overheating with them on. There are some bungies with plastic hooks that attach to the Givi crash bars nicely. I've also picked up a map case from Wolfman that velcros onto the top. Works well. And in cold weather the bags help shield my legs from the cold air. Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
Just ordered ... Famsa

I have the standard Aerostitch tank panniers which I tried on the f800 ... looks just like Woodworks picture above but they worked better on my 1150. I was not happy with the airflow to either the engine or me, so I've been looking for a better setup and this evening I signed up to try Famsa's F800 version, 260-9DT. The DT is for the kit minus the tank bag.

Biker World USA was good enough to call and tell me the f8 version has been made and on it's way. It's pricey at $189 but at this point in the FARKLE process I think I'm immune to the pain ... at least until the credit card bill arrives.

The f8 setup has not arrived from Famsa but due in the next week or two at
http://www.bikerworldusa.com/famsa.html

adding a photo on an R11xx

Harry Swan screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 08:35 PM
Harry Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
The Famsa

Very nice looking... Please keep us posted on how they function once you get them. thanks!
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
I signed up to try Famsa's F800 version, 260-9DT. The DT is for the kit minus the tank bag.

Biker World USA was good enough to call and tell me the f8 version has been made and on it's way. It's pricey at $189 but at this point in the FARKLE process I think I'm immune to the pain ... at least until the credit card bill arrives.

The f8 setup has not arrived from Famsa but due in the next week or two at
http://www.bikerworldusa.com/famsa.html
Here's the F800GS set up, with the tank bag as shown on the Winding Roads site -

Old 03-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Im thinking those panniers are going to interfere with my Adventure Spec crash bars... But they are a great looking set of tank panniers.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
I'm thinking that if you load those panniers with anything heavier than a few rolls of toilet paper, that top zipper (where it attaches to the tank bag) is going to fail pretty quickly.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
Harry Swan
One more time

I found BikerWorld's box at my door this afternoon ...

Not bad. Pannier's are about 10"x11"x5". They fit on the bike very well.
They don't block the air vents but they do conceal them. Nice.
They sit far enough foward so as not to interfer with my knees.
They have a second zippered mesh pocket on the outside of each

I haven't figured out all the tie down straps yet. A few of them seem redundant with only one really needed to keep one in place, but I'm sure I'll rework them for a good tight fit. Each pannier comes with a shoulder strap that is, well, very Italian. As to strength, I stuck 4 liter bottles of water in one side without a problem.

Comparing these to my Aerostitch tank panniers. The Famsa's mounted position is better than the Aerostitch which I had to push both cross tank straps in front of the ignition to keep them forward to stop them from rubbing my knees. Volume is about the same on paper but I like the shape of the Famsa a bit better. I know the Aerostitch is not waterproof and I'm not sure about the Famsa's.

Harry Swan screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 08:31 PM
Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Harry... nice!

Q: What type of crash bars are you running?
I have the Averture Spec crash bars... And they are VERY much tall and "in the area" of where those panniers would live... Think they would interfere with my A-Specs?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
Harry Swan
One more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Harry... nice!

Q: What type of crash bars are you running?
I have the Averture Spec crash bars... And they are VERY much tall and "in the area" of where those panniers would live... Think they would interfere with my A-Specs?
I'm not sure that any bars will interfer with the Famsa's rather I would think a higher bar would just provide a better tie down point. My crash bars are Hepco Becker, here's a pic of how they're positioned on the bike without the panniers.

Here's another picture that might help ...

Harry Swan screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 08:47 PM