Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #33496
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,424
http://dr650.wikia.com/wiki/Potentia...to_be_aware_of

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
First of all, please forgive me for not reading all 33,000 posts before asking a general knowledge question.

My DR350 departed with it's new owner last night and I'm going to go look at a 2001 DR650. What do I need to look for/questions to ask?
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #33497
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
First of all, please forgive me for not reading all 33,000 posts before asking a general knowledge question.

My DR350 departed with it's new owner last night and I'm going to go look at a 2001 DR650. What do I need to look for/questions to ask?
One of the more important ones is "Did you do the NSU screws yet?" The neutral sending unit screws have been known to fall into the gears and wreak the tranny.

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #33498
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride
One of the more important ones is "Did you do the NSU screws yet?" The neutral sending unit screws have been known to fall into the gears and wreak the tranny.
How often does that happen? Is it a one in one hundred type problem, or likely to happen to every bike at some point?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #33499
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:

I did a search but could not find exactly what I was looking for.
I have 7/8 protaper bars but stock bar mounts. I think it is time to upgrade the mounts after I crashed recently. The mounts seem not that great.
So I don't want risers, but just mounts that are close to stock, but stronger.
Certain places say universal mount, but that is just not true.
Has anyone put mounts on for their DR 650 (with Protaper bars) that just go right into the stock triple?
Friendly bump

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #33500
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
How often does that happen? Is it a one in one hundred type problem, or likely to happen to every bike at some point?
We had a 2000 DR650 since 2003 that we sold to another ADVRider last fall and I now have a 2005 DR650 I bought new and neither one had the NSU screws tightened and neither one has had a problem. It is VERY rare to have a screw come out and you're much more likely to crash into a candy apple red Chrysler minivan with 22" tires and driven by two blond lesbian Albanian midgets coming home from a Polka dance turning left in front of you (DAMHIK) than to have the NSU screw come out and explode your engine. I doubt I've heard of even half a dozen actual people who know someone who might have had the NSU problem happen since I got my first DR650 on all the forums I've visited, probably even less. There are more people who have dropped the screw into the crankcase while fixing the "problem" than having the screw fall out by itself. That said, I'll probably check mine the next time it is up on the lift, unless it is really nice riding weather. Otherwise, just buy a new worry bead...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 04-06-2010 at 02:17 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #33501
FatChance
Road Captain

Quote:
I have 7/8 protaper bars but stock bar mounts. I think it is time to upgrade the mounts after I crashed recently. The mounts seem not that great.
So I don't want risers, but just mounts that are close to stock, but stronger.
The stock bar mounts worked when you crashed and kept your new Pro Taper handle bars from bending into a pretzel. They worked exactly as designed. If you want something new, just replace them.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #33502
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
We had a 2000 DR650 since 2003 that we sold to another ADVRider last fall and I now have a 2005 DR650 I bought new and neither one had the NSU screws tightened and neither one has had a problem. It is VERY rare to have a screw come out and you're much more likely to crash into a candy apple red Chrysler minivan with 22" tires and driven by two blond lesbian Albanian midgets coming home from a Polka dance turning left in front of you (DAMHIK) than to have the NSU screw come out and explode your engine. I doubt I've heard of even half a dozen actual people who know someone who might have had the NSU problem happen since I got my first DR650 on all the forums I've visited, probably even less. There are more people who have dropped the screw into the crankcase while fixing the "problem" than having the screw fall out by itself. That said, I'll probably check mine the next time it is up on the lift, unless it is really nice riding weather. Otherwise, just buy a new worry bead...
so... how'd you make out with the two blond lesbian Albanian midgets
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #33503
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
I've only heard some good reports on these tires ... but all from European riders. Too expensive based on what I've seen. K60's look OK but for $150 ??

I would look at Shinko, Kenda or IRC for 50/50. Avon Distanzia for 80/20 and for more dirt oriented, Conti TKC80, Dunlop D606 or Michelin T-63. All good tires and only the Distanzia and Conti are expensive.
Want a similar tire to the TKC 80 for half price try the Metzeler Karoo 2. I have a rear on now and love it. Caught some Michilin T-63's on sale even cheaper at MC Supersrore and they are setting in the garage now.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #33504
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
I have heard that the manual petcock sold for the Raptor ATV fits a DR tank.
All true. I replaced mine with the Yam part for about $20 (US). You have to block the vacuum line at the carb. Perfect fit and they come with a gasket. (I bought a gasket when I ordered the petcock and didn'nt need it)
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #33505
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35
I have a 08 DR that is bone stock save the suspension. I am thinking about the 14 tooth CG. I wonder what that will do to the DR's road behavior? When not on the trails in AR the bike is a commuter. The only thing that worries me is how high will the RPM's go while on the slab; to and from the trail head at 70 - 75mph? Any info would be helpfull.

I live where you trail ride and I have the 14t on the bike and it really isn't a big deal at 70 at all. Still nice and smooth. The sprocket doesn't cost much and if you don't like it will sell easily I am sure.

I was concerned about the highway riding too, but has proved to be a non issue for me.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #33506
FatChance
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
so... how'd you make out with the two blond lesbian Albanian midgets
I told you not to ask!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #33507
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,109
Quote:
My '01 were finger tight at 51,000km when I checked them.

My '97 had one finger tight and one missing at 28,000km when I bought it (upper chain roller was already ripped out too).

A magnetic sump bolt found the other screw
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #33508
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
Haha! Thanks for the insight. I'm not one of those worriers, but I'm new to the DR scene and I have to sift through the real vs. hyped concerns. It seems like every bike has a "known problem" that is really given a lot of bandwidth without much cause.

Maybe the next time I'm in Durango I'll stop by and say "hi".
Old 04-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #33509
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
DR650 Handlebars

I really like my black Renthal Fatbars, but I'm not sure what bend/rise they are...didn't need any longer cables or re-routing as they're only slightly higher than stock bars. I used the ProTaper handlebar clamps like those sold on the www.procycle.us site & used my stock mounting bolts with them. It's all worked out great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachian
Who's got what brand of handel bars on ther 650 ? I'm lookin for somthing taller and just curios what the options are. (tried a thread search but nothing found)
ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #33510
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,471
Quote:
Haha! I have to sift through the real vs. hyped concerns. It seems like every bike has a "known problem" that is really given a lot of bandwidth without much cause.
I checked mine and they were both loose. Worth a check, but it's your call.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote