User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
punch OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
need Advice (F650GS)

I'm new to street riding (although when I was young I rode Motto) Im taking the MSF course, I live in Boston, but I want a bike that can take me to the trails and for me its about a 2 1/2 hour trip on the interstate. Im thinking of the 650 GS, Im 6' tall 180lbs. Any suggestions

thanks!
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,418
The F650GS talk happens in Beasts, not GSpot..

I"ll move it there..

As a new rider, the F650GS twin would be ideal and it's not a bike you'll soon "outgrow" as long your idea of trails are unpaved roads.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
RudyBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
The F650GS talk happens in Beasts, not GSpot..

I"ll move it there..

As a new rider, the F650GS twin would be ideal and it's not a bike you'll soon "outgrow" as long your idea of trails are unpaved roads.
I dunno - he's about my size and I've had my Dakar on single-track many, many times. Sure, a DRZ400, etc is easier, and more fun, but if a guy can have just one bike, it can be done with the 650.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
punch OP
n00b

you bet. dirt all the way
Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
This is the type of thing i do with mine and it does a very good job of it! I've ridden single track (at an easy pace) quad trails and the interstate to get there. I love mine! The only bad thing is you need to get better tires(k60's) intemators for the forks and a new rear shock if you plan to hit anything at any kind of speed, oh and a 16 tooth cs sprocket plus skid plate ,hand guards and spill bars as the plastic is very expensive, so consider the cost of these also. forgot to mention you will probably wanta different board to sit on as the stock 1 sucks!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
punch OP
n00b

hmm what about the f800 ? or is that going to be too much for a newbie
Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
supertorro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
658 for a noob

hi.

2 years ago I was in the same position you are now. 'cept I had no motorbike experience. I ended up buying the 658 and I must say I'm very happy with it for the purposes I stated at the time: that would be mostly commuting.

For me, I think as a commuter bike the 658 is truly brilliant. Very easy to ride, doesn't feel as heavy as it actually is and is easy to control. I think if you want something that's more specific i.e. hooligan machine, tourer, cruiser, etc.... you'd probably be better off looking elsewhere.

I've taken the bike down some dirt roads and tracks, even got it properly stuck in the mud (where it was heavier than I thought), done some long distance touring with it and so on. You could do all of these things with the 658 but it's just a few steps short of being great at any of them. I've had the suspension raised and stiffened, and that's helped tremendously, but it's still pretty poor.

For commuting it's fantastic, for anything else.....I'm not so sure
supertorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch
I'm new to street riding (although when I was young I rode Motto) Im taking the MSF course, I live in Boston, but I want a bike that can take me to the trails and for me its about a 2 1/2 hour trip on the interstate. Im thinking of the 650 GS, Im 6' tall 180lbs. Any suggestions

thanks!
Do you mean the current F650GS, which is an 800 twin, or the G650GS (formerly known as the F650GS), which is a 650 single?

Although the 800 is quite capable on gravel roads and forest tracks, the single is better at "trails" and will still be happy with the 2.5 hours of interstate to get there. Especially if you pick up a used Dakar model, which had a 21" front and longer suspension travel. It's cheaper, too.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
rcrampton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
the single is better at "trails" and will still be happy with the 2.5 hours of interstate to get there. Especially if you pick up a used Dakar model, which had a 21" front and longer suspension travel. It's cheaper, too.
I've read this several times - the single is better on trails. The current G650GS is rated slightly higher in weight than the F650GS twin (by only 16 lbs). The single has 0.2 to 0.4" more suspension travel. Single has a 4" shorter wheelbase, tube tires, and some minor differences in geometry.

There's obviously a meaningful difference or BMW wouldn't offer both bikes. Are these differences really a big deal on trails or am I missing something?
1965 Shelby Cobra (home built)
Factory Five GTM
rcrampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrampton
I've read this several times - the single is better on trails. The current G650GS is rated slightly higher in weight than the F650GS twin (by only 16 lbs). The single has 0.2 to 0.4" more suspension travel. Single has a 4" shorter wheelbase, tube tires, and some minor differences in geometry.

There's obviously a meaningful difference or BMW wouldn't offer both bikes. Are these differences really a big deal on trails or am I missing something?
Specs tell only a part of the story. To me, the single feels much more agile, nimble and controllable in the tight stuff than does the twin. I can't quantify why that is, but what specs don't convey is weight distribution, power delivery, "feel" of the bike.

It's the same feel as between my Wee and my 800 - on paper, the two bikes are close. In the dirt, any kind of dirt, the 800 has me winding on throttle where the Wee had me paddling my boots and sweating like a fat guy on a treadmill. I'm not a brilliant rider, or even a good one, but the one bike makes me feel so much more confident than the other in a way numbers on paper just can't explain.

(Of course, the biggest difference between the 650 single and twin as far as BMW is concerned in the $3000 cheaper entry price to the G650.)