Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #46
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Read my earlier post about having a fat ass.
The F8 makes everyone's butt look big, except those hotties in stiletto heels.

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #47
cula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketinaboxer
I am short also, 5'7" and when you use the step on the peg method to get on the bike its alot easier. Also riding it isnt' hard at all as long as your comfortable shifting your weight to one side to put a foot down. I can touch on both sides, but when i stop i use one side only.
And how wxactly do you do that? I mean adter you are sitted, how do you get the bike off the center stand? I'm 5'7", too and have some problems monting the bike.
cula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #48
larlec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
just get the f650GS

I went from an 1150GS to the f650GS and, while it took a few hundred miles to adjust to the missing big torque, big bike feel, the f650GS has lots to recommend it and I don't regret not getting the 800 in the least. I have a short inseam as well and understand the control issues. If you ride everyday, or almost everyday, and find yourself in a wide variety of situations get the bike that gives you the highest comfort factor - physical and psychological.

The bottom line is evaluating what kind of riding you do. If you know someone who has one or the other, or both, try to ride them for a day or so, more than just a test ride. The f650GS is very capable, nimble, adequate power and super handling. As so many others have said in different threads, when I want to ride real dirt and single track I want a dedicated dirt bike and am not going to take a 10.5 or 13.5 $k bike out and trash it, I just don't have that kind of money. For getting in and out of campgrounds, dirt roads, crowded markets in Latin America, etc. the f650GS will handle what I need it for quite well.

My only regret so far is how much I've dumped into it getting it farkled and fit like I had my 1150GS but it's almost there and I'm liking it more every day.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #49
Farquar
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Add to boot sole for critical height advantage

Just new to this forum but recently tried 650 vs 800 most important factor for me was the 21" front wheel as I am more for off road tracks and gravel. My ideal advture bike was the KTM 990 but unable to lower the seat height, so tried the BMWs. 650 great on road but not so good tracking offroad. So I went for the 800 and despite a recent clutch problem is a great bike for my type of riding. Mate who is shorter than me 29" leg 5' 5", had more than 2cm added to his boot soles. I have done the same and can more than tip toe at the lights with the 800, but have to be careful where I stop on trails. Had to get use to the boots for gear change but now no problem. However you need to find a proper "cobbler" to get a good job done.
Farquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #50
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,570
Lizard low

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R
The F650GS fits me perfect but I'd like the power of the 800. I'm thinking about replacing my 1200GS next year. I'll probably go with a low 1200GS but I'd consider a 800 if I could lower it about 2". Going with a 800 would also save me some bucks.
Woody can do this:

regarding your honey,,we could drop down to a 19 front anf narrower 3..5x17 on back for a 130/17 tire it would drop bike 3/4inch still run really nice on pavement a nd sacrifice a tiny bit in th edirt..it would the be better suited fro fireroads...than single track..

Combine that with the low seat and you should be good, add the 650 rear shock and your low as a lizard.
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #51
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
It's not too tall, it's all about how you reach the ground.. The tallest seat height I ever had on a bike that I've owned was 37" to my 30" inseam... no problem reaching the ground with one foot.

Here's a pic of my side stand on the 800GS.. because with the Russell Day Long seat and its protruding support "wings" I cannot even reach the side stand's stock loop AT ALL!! The Russell Seat is about 1.5 to 2" taller than the Sargent seat. (I'm going to do some accurate measurements soon..) The seat is so supremely comfortable for touring, I had to find a way to reach the side stand. I obviously won't use this seat when venturing on dirt roads.. this is strictly for long distance asphalt touring.

Here's my little Eiffel tower, which has since been painted black.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #52
gregf
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
The lowering is two inches. Figure on about $400 total since when you add the Toruatech Kit you must replace the sidestand and the centerstand with the 650GS units because the F8 sidestand and centerstand will be too long.

Simply using the 650GS shock spring does nothing for the front. The kit comes with new progrssive springs front and rear along with some other stuff.
I have just recieved my new hyperpro 3d rear shock, fork springs, and oil. I had both set up to lower the bike 50mm. My question is do the center stand and side stand from the 650 bolt directly on to my 800? What all pieces do I need to complete this? Seems like, on paper, the easiest way to go...right? Have any of you done this? or just suggested it based on the idea it should work. Thanks for all the help.
gregf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #53
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
I haven't really had any problems with my meager 30" (on a good day) inseam with the F8gs, other than a couple times offroad, to be expected................until yesterday. Strong winds out here in Colorado, and I had a real tough time keep the bike up in my Captn Morgan stance at lights. Side winds had me all over the place, kicking a leg out in a funny yoga pose just to keep the damn thing up! Wasn't fun.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #54
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,079
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #55
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
If anybody wants to trade, I have a F650GS rear shock and would like the longer F800GS one.

Also have a set of 19"/17" wheels, although the front won't be so easy to swap since it's missing the second disc.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #56
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA
Here's my partial solution:
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #57
cbOwl
just ridin somewhere

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
I have just recieved my new hyperpro 3d rear shock, fork springs, and oil. I had both set up to lower the bike 50mm. My question is do the center stand and side stand from the 650 bolt directly on to my 800? What all pieces do I need to complete this? Seems like, on paper, the easiest way to go...right? Have any of you done this? or just suggested it based on the idea it should work. Thanks for all the help.

I have the same setup. I took about an inch out of the sidestand, (and added a bigger foot). The 800 centerstand works fine as is.
cbOwl is offline   Reply With Quote