Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #181
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
The only problem is, and I did foresee this happening, was that the D3 shield will begin to push back due to the vibration and the wind pressure.

Do you think this will be a major annoyance or is it something that just needs to be looked at and adjusted every few hundred miles into a trip? Would you still spend eight large on it now that you've had some miles with it?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #182
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,002
The Renazco seat is the new improved version. I give it a 10.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #183
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

The Desertio:
No, it's a easy fix, either a rubber washer or stick on emery cloth between the surfaces will do the trick.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #184
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
ok. i'm pimping this shot on 2 threads :)... My new D3 screen on it's first off road day. Sweet day.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #185
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Yah, that does look pretty sweet!!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #186
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #187
FatBuoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Got mine on last night. It was pretty straight forward, and taking my time took about 1 1/2 hours. It looks fantastic and really compliments the overall aesthetics of the bike. This has been said before but BMW should have included something like this from the factory.

I have only had about 30 minutes of testing time so far. I'm 6'1 with a 33" inseam. My seat is a stock reworked, but I think it's stock height.

I can feel the wind quite a bit on my shoulders and a little on my upper arms, but nothing to be concerned with. No buffeting. The wind stream hits me just above my face shield but the air is clean. The only time I see me wanting more protection would be in sub 40's riding for distance.

I like it a lot. Looks were my secondary concern when considering the purchase, but it sho looks good! And the flexibility in adjustments makes it a perfect all-in-one windscreen IMO. IT IS EXPENSIVE and when you open the box you wonder why in the heck you paid this much for two pieces of plastic a metal frame and a bunch of hardware. Yes it hurt but I think it's worth it. Thumbs up!

By the way, I was also considering Aeroflow but the thing is just huge. If I were to only ride long highway distances I would have gone that route but I wanted the best balanced solution. I think the F8GS is the best all around do all bike, so why not get the windscreen to match?
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #188
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
ok. i'm pimping this shot on 2 threads :)... My new D3 screen on it's first off road day. Sweet day.

Marky , what kind of fork protector do you have on? Do you have a pic from a different angle? thx
BTW : your bike looks really good ...

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #189
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000
Marky , what kind of fork protector do you have on? Do you have a pic from a different angle? thx
BTW : your bike looks really good ...

thanks... They're SealSavers. Just put them on 2 days before the ride. They're neoprene. Not too sure yet whether or not I think there's a value of having them on.

Here's a slightly more side view. Kind of looks like there's a log growing out of my seat!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #190
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

When installing the Desertio, make sure you install those aluminum spacers and the bolts to go through them, connectecting the D3 frame to the OEM dash frame. My instructions had nothing about this, but thats where they go and it will stiffen the whole thing upnicely. Also get 2 small rubber washers so the shield does not tilt back from wind pressure and offroad vibration.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #191
FatBuoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
When installing the Desertio, make sure you install those aluminum spacers and the bolts to go through them, connectecting the D3 frame to the OEM dash frame. My instructions had nothing about this, but thats where they go and it will stiffen the whole thing upnicely. Also get 2 small rubber washers so the shield does not tilt back from wind pressure and offroad vibration.
DP- Just curious why you used two washers rather than 4? How thick are the ones you used? I'm going to be proactive and do this rather than get frustrated on a trip, then doing it. Do you think the washers will be better than emory cloth as someone else mentioned?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:40 AM   #192
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

2 are all that is needed. Put them in the port and starboard top adjusters where the screen pivots between the 2 metal surfaces. They are thin rubber washers I bought at Lowes. The screen will not fade aft now. Simple cheap, and you can still adjust the screen with relative ease.
This should put the issue to bed.

DockingPilot screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 06:27 AM
Old 04-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #193
FatBuoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

Took the bike for a trip this weekend and put a good number of miles on the highway at 70-80 MPH. Can you say crazy wind roar? I even put the wax ear plugs in and it was still too noisy for me. When I stood and let the wind hit me full on it was whisper quiet; sit down again and freight train! I'm not as happy with the windscreen anymore. It's great for low speed and off-road, IMO, (oh and looks) but not so good on the highway. Damn!

Anyone else feel this way? Mind you, I have an Aeroflow on my 1150 Adventure (not a good comparison).....but this doesn't even come close. It's actually better with the tiny F650GS screen, noise-wise, which barely comes above the gauges. Do I need to sell it and buy the big-ass Aeroflow? Damn!

Bummed in Austin

FatBuoy screwed with this post 04-12-2010 at 06:32 PM
Old 04-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #194
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Nope, not me, at speed it's near perfect I'd say. Windscreens are extremley personal as to weather they work or not.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #195
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuoy
Took the bike for a trip this weekend and put a good number of miles on the highway at 70-80 MPH. Can you say crazy wind roar? I even put the wax ear plugs in and it was still too noisy for me. When I stood and let the wind hit me full on it was whisper quiet; sit down again and freight train! I'm not as happy with the windscreen anymore. It's great for low speed and off-road, IMO, (oh and looks) but not so good on the highway. Damn!
Bummed in Austin
I kind of accidently did the same test with the stock screen. I stood up going around 55mph and the air was so calm and quiet it I couldn't beleave it.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote