Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #31
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
also the bike is called an Adventure bike and the Adventure is all about the state of mind. I also think I had fun and my buddy Sheldon called me and said he would take me out anytime. He added he is glad I am getting the K60's cause he said I have "instinct",......need to practice my standing and gear shifting etc.......but I did well for my stock tires and first time out.
Nice video & nice friend you got there. And no reason to bother about the off-road versus on-road discussion. I ride all-year on my three bikes and simply define myself as an "allroader" since neither my F650GS Dakar (thumper/winterbike) nor my F800GS are particularly good for true offroad riding outside forest-, dirt roads etc. They're simply too heavy and cumbersome compared to true enduro- or motocross bikes - which are far more safe to ride true offroad style. And my skills are not that great - even after Dakar-rally guru Pal Anders Ullevalseter gave us a good entry-level course in 2006 on a mountain-ride course.

As you said, adventure is what it's all about. Here in Norway, strict laws forbid true offroading outside race tracks, but some dirt-riding people still use the term "offroad" on all off-tarmac/off-pavement riding - simply because the term is laden with that elusive adventure-feeling

But heck, your video is an excellent heads-up and your effort is good and honest. Ride more and have fun. That's what it's all about. The term "offroad" just adds that adventure feeling - even though I stick to the legal tractor tracks and dirt-roads.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #32
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Yes, the F800 can go off-pavement. Not always like you intend though

drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #33
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 831
I see you got a good job: Crashbar tester .

A beje.

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #34
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapadu
I see you got a good job: Crashbar tester .

A beje.
I have beat the shit out of this bike. It just keeps on running and going. I would buy another one, in spite of its "flaws", in a heartbeat.

Here's an unedited sample of my skills on-road. I'm no better on pavement

Crash Test Dummy from Arno Jones on Vimeo.

drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #35
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
what did you hit? Gravel? Man....glad you were OK...but you were not kidding about beating the bleep out of your bike!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #36
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

BTW....

We just got back from a fantastic trip down the Oregon coast....we hit every bit of weather...hurricane force winds, snow, hail, pouring rain, some sun, many "pavement ends" signs/roads, gravel, mud terrain, uneven road ways, views, curves, twisties in general.....AWESOME trip and OMG....this bike does it all and handles like a charm. We even were able to ride our stock seats for hours with some butt aches but over all tolerable. Pics and video to come.

I just wanted to report that we had a large Wolfman dry duffle (GREAT addition and stays DRY) on the bikes, Wolfman Ranier tank bag, and our Jesse luggage...although not totally loaded down the 650 never once gave up while we went into mountain passes, had tons of passing power no matter what gear, brakes work perfectly and we had to use them many times for quick stops, bike was well balanced thanks to our great packing.... and as for the "off pavement", rode miles of very wet muddy and deep gravel roads. Again our stock tires did well but can not wait to get our K60's because we are obviously going off tar more than we ever thought. Confidence building with each trip off the pavement and seriously just loving where this bike is taking us!

Stopped at Touratech Seattle on the way home and bought a Zumo 660 mount for one of our bikes...so, we are getting the 660 and forgoing the satellite concept...just waiting to see if the price comes down after the 665 comes out! Very happy riders here!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #37
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
also the bike is called an Adventure bike and the Adventure is all about the state of mind.
Thanks for sharing.

See how the K60 work but if you're riding alot more dirt I would recommend a tire with knobbies, TKC / Scorpion / d606. World of difference over a dual sport tire.
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #38
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
I have beat the shit out of this bike. It just keeps on running and going. I would buy another one, in spite of its "flaws", in a heartbeat.

Here's an unedited sample of my skills on-road. I'm no better on pavement
Sure this is less fun on pavement! Hopefully you were safe!

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #39
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Talking

heading out again this morning for another little trip...this time from Maple Ridge, BC to Port Townsend, WA....to Port Angeles, to Victoria, BC to Tofino, BC and back home on Sunday. Pics and hopefully video from both our trips this week later.! Weather is supposed to be nothing but SUN!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #40
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
heading out again this morning for another little trip...this time from Maple Ridge, BC to Port Townsend, WA....to Port Angeles, to Victoria, BC to Tofino, BC and back home on Sunday. Pics and hopefully video from both our trips this week later.! Weather is supposed to be nothing but SUN!
I want your job whatever it is!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #41
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

not sure you would want my job.... Getting out a lot helps de-stress!
Old 04-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #42
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

check this out for those Canadian folks...MTR is selling K60's at about par with the USA dealers...

Good evening Leslie;
Great news, I have 3 of your tires here.
The fellow that mounts tires has decided that he does not want to mount tires on rims that are painted or might scratch. (only dirt bikes I guess)

Richmond Motorsports used to charge $25.00 per tire, cash to the mechanic if the rims are off the bike.

Description Cost Qty MTR SPORTS
Heidenau Front 110/80-19 $ 139.00

Heidenau Rear 140/80-17
$ 155.00

Enviro Fee
$ 5.00 each tire

Rob is getting more in....I think May. We have the other rear one order!!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #43
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Just a nice pic of our bikes coking home from Whistler a few weeks back...my bike was a day old in this pic I think!