User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
resetting the service light????

Anyone know if there is a way to reset the service light without a GS-911 computer. Or is anyone in the San Diego area with a GS-911. I find it hard to swallow that the dealer wants $50 to reset a light that takes 5 minutes max! I was thinking of disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes or so but I don't know if it will do anything. thanks in advance.
-Jason

In honor of Gregory N. Millard
Son - Brother - Hero
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
Not according my dealer, who forgot to reset mine, at the last service. Not worth the 120 mile trip, catch it next time.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Disconnecting the battery won't do it. You need a GS or the dealer. Why would they charge you for this? I presume you do all your own maintenance so they are trying to squeeze all they can out of ya.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
Chiccoadv
sleeper

Oddometer: 18
50$?? Incredible. mine make this job for free...Is not more correct ask 50$ for 1 minute of life
Chiccoadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
I can sort of understand this. The GT1 that dealers use cost many many thousands of dollars, and is crazy slow.

Depends on how many trace files are in the bucket, which BMW makes us keep, but it takes closer to 5 minutes to reset service date and service mileage, not including time to roll the thing around, or push bikes aside if were busy.

Also the GT1 regularly crashes and has to be rebooted which adds another couple of minutes.

I don't think we ever have or ever will charge to reset the service light or print out fault codes, but we made a profit last year, many dealers didn't.

Then again, perhaps how good we treat customers is why we made a profit.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
Xskydiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
A thought

I'm sure there's some engineering genius out there that could come up with a stripped down computer attachment to simply read codes and reset the service light. Remember when the code readers for cars were pretty pricey? Now a basic version can be had for $50. We need the same.
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Pissed

I think I will just live with the service light. It doesnt bother me too much and I will have them clear it at a major service. It still is upsetting that BMW would not make it consumer resettable.

In honor of Gregory N. Millard
Son - Brother - Hero
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver
I'm sure there's some engineering genius out there that could come up with a stripped down computer attachment to simply read codes and reset the service light. Remember when the code readers for cars were pretty pricey? Now a basic version can be had for $50. We need the same.
We need the same, but don't hold your breath. Economies of scale brought down the price of code readers for cars. The market is enormous. The market for motorcycles, even if everyone with a bike that is code-capable bought one, is tiny by comparison.

Get some buds together and buy a GS-911. If 7 of you chip in, it's only $50 apiece for the Bluetooth model. That's what my friends and I did with a No-Mar Tire Changer and it's worked out great.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I agree, it should be owner resettable without buying a $300.00 after-market tool. I have several recent model BMW cars in the family I maintain and these all have resettable service reminders. Thankfully, the 06 R1200RT doesn't have this feature. I have learned to ignore the warning, but I think this design was implemented with no consideration of the owner. Funny that the car side did a better job for the consumer. BMW motorcycle basically decided the owner shouldn't perform maintenance. BTW BMW isn't alone on this short sighted philosophy, I noticed when shopping Ducati they had the same non-resettable reminder.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
CGH
Polluting the ether

Oddometer: 19,953