Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
ShortCircuit1987 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Question KTM Duke II Rear Shock Adjustment?

Hello everyone. I recently had my bike lowered with a set of Koubalinks. I love the lower seat height but with my girlfriend on the back I've been bottoming out in the back. Upon closer inspection it seems that someone adjusted the rear shock all the way up the threads past the minimum preload! I spent awhile with the cheap spring preload tool KTM supplies, removed the bolt from the adjustment ring and have tried to thread it back down onto the shock with no success. I'm not sure whether I should be turning it clockwise or counter-clockwise as the WP rear shock manual and the owners manual neglect to tell me! Either way I turn the adjuster ring it doesn't seem to be threading back down the shaft of the shock. I took out the whole shock absorber from the bike today so I could work with it easier. Anyone have any suggestions? Which way do I turn the adjuster ring? Should I just take the shock to a shop? Could it be damaged? Let me know! Thanks!
ShortCircuit1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,301
It's bottoming out because it is a light spring and the pre-load is set too light and you have a shortened set-up. i.e., you don't have as much travel in the suspension as you did stock, although the shock will still travel the same distance because the shock was not modified. (the proper way is to have a pro shorten the internals of the shock.)

IIRC, you need to turn the adjuster nut clockwise. Take a look at the threads and it should be obvious which way to adjust it.

An easy way to do this is loosen the jam nut (the one farther from the spring) and then turn the spring clockwise. Most times the nut on the spring will come along for the ride, to a certain point. A bit of oil on the threads will help this along. Then tighten the jam nut back up.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Wait a sec, you pulled the adjuster rings off the threaded shaft? oops.

You need to compress the spring a little before you will be able to re-thread those nuts. A couple of ratcheting tie-downs may do the trick. Don't wrap the strap around the very last loop of spring, go for the second level of loops.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
ShortCircuit1987 OP
Adventurer

Question

Yeah, unfortunately I think the guy I had install the lowering links may have loosened the adjuster ring past the threads. I'll try to oil everything up and use the ratcheting tie down method you mentioned on the spring. I think the tension in the spring isn't allowing me to catch any threads. I'll be sure to turn everything clockwise, LOL! Do you know if there are any spring set-ups for this bike with a lowered suspension. Something that won't break the bank and is still adjustable like the WP shock? I'd hate to spend a fortune, but at barely 5'8 it's difficult for me to reach the ground with the stock set-up. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
If you plan ride with two up, you need stiffer spring for rear shock.
Not a new shock.
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortCircuit1987
Yeah, unfortunately I think the guy I had install the lowering links may have loosened the adjuster ring past the threads. I'll try to oil everything up and use the ratcheting tie down method you mentioned on the spring. I think the tension in the spring isn't allowing me to catch any threads. I'll be sure to turn everything clockwise, LOL! Do you know if there are any spring set-ups for this bike with a lowered suspension. Something that won't break the bank and is still adjustable like the WP shock? I'd hate to spend a fortune, but at barely 5'8 it's difficult for me to reach the ground with the stock set-up. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
ShortCircuit1987 OP
Adventurer

I tried compressing the spring with some ratcheting tie downs, unfortunately the end loops on the tie downs are too large to fit between the coils of the spring. Any other suggestions on compressing it enough to release the tension on the adjuster ring? Nice pic of the large heel shoes! LOL!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Large zipties MIGHT help. 8-10 of them, tightened in succession repeatedly. No guarantees.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
ShortCircuit1987 OP
Adventurer

Laugh

Well, I tried the zip-ties and the spring wouldn't budge. However my father had the idea to compress the shock with a 12 ton bottle jack he had. We wedged the shock in a doorway and once the spring was compressed I tied the springs together with a bunch of hose clamps. Worked out well. I was easily able to thread the adjuster ring back down the shaft once the tension from the spring was removed. I have no idea why KTM supplies the tool for the adjuster ring and claims you can adjust in on the fly with the shock still in the bike! LOL! Anyway, I put the shock back to it's stock settings for riding with a passenger. Unfortunately I should probably throw the stock links back on as well to reduce the risk of bottoming out again. I'm not interested in toying around with having a heavier spring put on and clearance issues with the mid-pipe, etc. I guess I'll just have to grab a set of boots with a tall sole. LOL! Thanks for the help guys, let me know if you have any further suggestions!