Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
-1,000,000 on Rich's

Rich's in Seattle (now Kingston) built me the shittiest seat I have ever ridden upon - and it only took $550 and two full days of my time.

A while back, after much hemming and hawing, I decided to plop down $550 to have Rich customize a seat for me. I figured he was in Seattle so if I needed any fine tuning it would be easy. So I went and spent a day there. A lot of waiting around all day bullshitting with other riders and reading magazines and then around 4pm or so he sends me out on the "customized" seat with plastic over foam. I guess the concept is good but a plastic sheet sticking to your riding pants isn't a good measure of what the end product will be like.

Anyhow, I do my little test ride and really couldn't tell what the end product will feel like. So they put the leather on and off I go at about 5pm. By the end of my 10-15 minute ride home it feels like a shitty K bike seat with some gel in it and a leather cover. Whoop-de-fucking-doo. I certainly didn't feel like I'd gotten my money's worth.

I took it off when I got home and put my Corbin back on immediately. But, I'm a mellow guy, I figured I'd call him up schedule another appointment (easy because he was still in Seattle so I could just go whenever a slot opened up.)

Like I said, I'm a pretty mellow guy. When I got there, I calmly explained that what I thought I needed was something a little more scooped out (like a Corbin Dual Tour and BMW comfort seat) and that it needed to be about an inch back.

I guess he wasn't listening because what I ended up with at the end of that long second day was a seat that was flatter and hadn't been moved back at all. (I suspect he didn't want to go through the time and expense of making another cover for it.)

After another ENTIRE DAY there, what I ended up with was a seat that was flatter and higher, not moved back or scooped out like I'd requested. I was less than a block from his shop when I realized how totally fucked the seat was. It was worse than the initial one and something I wouldn't do 20 miles on unless it were an emergency of some sort. If I'd left this seat on the bike it would motivate me to never ride again. Honestly.

When I got home, I immediately took it off of the bike and it's been on the shelf since that day. I saw it there on the shelf today (GRRRR!!!) and decided to try it again. It's FUCKING AWFUL. It's kind of like sitting on one of those 1" foam plastic pads they give away at football games but, since he raised it and didn't move it back, I now also have the added pleasure of the ridge between the rider and pillion section cutting into my ass half way up.

Why haven't I gone back? I figure why bother? He didn't listen to me the first time I went back so I have no expectation that he'd ever listen to me.

I'll give him this though, he actually took the incredibly shitty OEM factory seat and made it 10X worse. That, in itself, is quite a feat.

The irony of it is that his shop has signs like "Corbin support group meets every Saturday at 8am." I did a 50CC in 36 hours, slept 6 hours and put in another 8 hours the next day on a Corbin Dual Tour. My butt felt fine. I couldn't ride to Tacoma and back (60 miles) after he mutilated this seat.

BTW: I think Rich is a nice guy. It's just too bad that he can't fucking listen to his customers.

Bottom line : After $550 and two full days of my time, I ended up with a seat that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote