User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
Marcbar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Jingellic 2010.

After taking two days to get home I arrived home tonight.
What a great and very eventful ride to Jingellic we had!!!
We (seven of us)planned to leave Trafalgar at 7am but Chappy's bike had fuel problems which in the end was a good thing because we were supposed to meet Eddie "Ed Muggles" who was to come with us.
He slept through his alarm and so turned up at 7.45am just as we were to pull out and head off.
Our first stop was at Heyfield were as I was getting off the very high X Challenge managed to pull it over on top of myself, faaaaark!
On our way up to Dargo we came flying round a corner only to be waved down by a bloke on a horse and asked to stop and turn off the bikes.
This is what we saw come around the corner but I'm not sure what those other blokes are doing!!!!

They felt really threatened by the X Challenge but were indifferent when it came to the KTM's and the DR's!!!!!
Continued on to Dargo where we had a pie and a coffee with Dargo Dan and seemed to take quite some time to get going again.
From Dargo we followed the road North up to Hotham Heights with the road being in great condition. Just short of the turn off to Mt Hotham I was trying to see Mt Hotham through the trees when I looked up and realised that I was heading straight for a a high bank and was unable to get back on track so ran the bike up the bank and landed on my back with the bike hooked on a sapling!!!
The only damage done to the bike was a broken mirror and to me a bruise on my back and a bruised ego!!! No doubt one of my supportive mates will post up a photo, mumbe, mumble ken mumble.
Chucked a right at the top and road over to Mt Hotham where we had the photo shoot as you do but as we did Dean managed to drop his brand new KTM Erzberg while parking it. Best not to talk to Flo when this happens!!

Then it was straight on to Omeo where we fueled up and had something to eat at the bakery. I might add that the lady at the servo next to the bakery is a bonza lass and her blood is worth bottling.
From Omeo we new it was going to be a hard ask to get to Jingellic before dark so took the option of going north via Mitta Mitta and then turning right at Old Tallangatta.
Just before we got to the Blue Duck Inn we spotted four people with some extra luggage beside one bike?????? Seems the other bike a big cruiser was down the cliff some ways!!! Couldn't help so kept going.
After we had ridden through the 50 odd kms of dirt we came across a bloke wearing riding gear but no bike so I said " G'day where's your bike?" and he pointed down the cliff and said" Down there)
Well after joining some straps and ropes together two blokees from below and five from above managed to get his bike back up to the road and got it started again for him. Again I'm sure someone will post a photo of this event.
Off we set again now knowing it was going to be impossible to get to Jingellic before dark.
We finally arrived at Jingellic at 6.30pm in the dark and still had to set up our tents. This done we set about having a great night with the rest of the ADV fraternity. Good to be able to talk face to face with a lot of ADVers and put names to faces.

This is our motley group of Cretins!!!

Not sure who this thorn between two roses is but maybe some one can help us!!!!
Just joking!!!!
Being the last ones in it was only right that we be the last ones to pack up and leave and so it was.
Three of us did not have to be home until Monday night so we opted for a slow ride home.
First it was up to Tumburumba where we had brunch at the Teddy Bear Cafe before heading down to Corryong and on down to Omeo again but this time via the Benambra Corryong Road.
This is one of the most beautiful roads that you can ride and especially if your not in a hurry.

That big high one is Mount Bogong!!

Phil on the trusty GS.

Dick (DeeCee) on his KTM 640 but is looking at buying a 990 Adventure.
The plan was to get to Dargo to spend the night but when we got to Omeo we knew it was going to be too late. I had remembered that there was a cattlemans hut somewhere between Omeo and Dargo so we decided that we would stay ther the night.

Our lodgings for the night.

My bed at the back and Dick nibbling Knobbies Nuts!!!

The fire kept us toasty warm as it was freezing outside.

Yours truly sucking in the smoke while trying to cook dinner.

This port at 3.99 is normally bloody terrible but tonight tasted like mothers milk!!!!

Life doesn't get much better than this, good mates, a roaring fire, a bottle of McWilliams Royal Reserve port up in the Victorian High Country.....

That night a wild dog started howling at 1am soon to be joined by another and then lots more joined in. It woke us all up and was a chilling sound to hear.
The next morning we were up early and off to have breakfast at Dargo. The morning was crisp and fresh and the thick fog hung in the valleys below us.

The fog cleared to a beautiful day as we descended into Dargo.

Ther are some magic camping grounds down along the river as we approached Dargo.

Once we got to Dargo we all ordered scrumptious egg and bacon rolls with coffee and they went down a treat.
We were having a chat to Dan and Maggie when it came up that Dick was keen to buy a KTM 990 Adventure and Dan piped up that he had one out the back and would Dick like to have a test ride.
Dick couldn't contain his excitement and roared of on Dan's bike coming back with a huge grin on his face.
I think we might see him on one soon!!!

We then left Dargo and took the Freestone Creek Road back to Briagalong and what a beautiful track it is with lots of great camping sites along the way.

Dick standing in front of my bike announced that he didn't know how I could ride around with my panniers not being even!!!
One was higher than the other and Dick being an engineer just doesn't cope with anything thats not straight or balanced or square.
I on the other hand am a cook and didn't even know the panniers were not even and even after being told didn't do anything about it.
So Dick couldn't bring himself to ride behind and to have to view the carnage on the back of my bike!!! Funny lad our Dick.....

This was a very nice camping spot. Anyone interested???????
Well then it was just a blacktop run back to Trafalgar for my first wash in 3 days.
Great riding over the three days and bloody good to catch up with some other ADVers.
Hopefully some of my fellow riders will add some photos onto this ride report.
Hoo a roo.....
Marcus

Marcbar screwed with this post 05-03-2010 at 04:38 PM
Marcbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
craig525
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
craig525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Excellent route and nice pics. Thanks Marcus
Old 05-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Russ

Oddometer: 15,501
Great Ride report thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
hey, marcus, will you be taking some of these new recipes back to your restaurant ?
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
BigFella44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
great RR, thanks for the insite!
The roads up around Tumut and Tumbarumba are fantastic for ADV touring! Scenery is something else!!

The Black Dog, "he comes and goes - I like it when he's gone but I know when he's coming"[/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]
BigFella44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Marcbar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
hey, marcus, will you be taking some of these new recipes back to your restaurant ?

No probably not but I might include the McWilliams Royal Reserve Port on the wine list!!!!
Marcbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
Racketeer
Must escape......

Oddometer: 881
great pics

Shame I missed this one!!!

Well done guys and well documented
Racketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 AM   #10
Doctor
Banned

Oddometer: 7,659
Groovy RR looks like just getting there was a party !
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:22 AM   #11
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,632
Top RR, thanks
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #12
Jingellic86
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Thanks for such a fantastic ride report and pictures. Made me wish I could have been there too!
Jingellic is my most favourite place in the whole world and certainly the best place to go and come from on a motorbike.
Cheers!!!!!!!
Jingellic86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #13
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,833
Great stuff Marcus.

I don't think Royal Reserve has gone up in price since I used to drink it a looong time ago........or maybe it was $3.99 for the flagon....??

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 AM   #14
mounty

Oddometer: n/a
jingellic 2010

Great story, great pics, very interesting trip,(thats why we do it).
Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #15
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote