User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #16
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 230
[/url]

The fairing was on the bike when I bought it back in '86. I don't have the stock headlight, otherwise I'd probably take it off....at least for the summer months.
Overdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #17
macamoose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Overdog

You may want to take a close look at the headlight on the fairing. Not sure about the Windjammers but the headlight assembly and even the complete blinker assemblies on my Luftmeister were the original parts off the bike. I was pretty excited to figure that out as I was sure I'd be dropping the cash to find all those bits.
Thad
Old 05-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #18
Kismet
vagrant philosopher

Oddometer: 387
I know of at least one million-mile rider who has always had a Hannigan on his bikes. I've one in the shed. Great protection, but I'm not putting on miles in inclement weather like I used to.

For looks, I preferred the Rabid Transit--that one is in the basement. Again, great protection, some storage.

Both added weight to front forks, but for the mostly highway miles, were a great asset for me.

Seem to remember articles suggesting mileage increase with the slickness of some of the fairings. Less "dirty" air.

But as one of the posters has said, protective clothing and water-proof materials have compensated a lot for the old fairings.

'75 R90/6
'78 R100/7, well really, R80/7
'87 Radian/fj600
'81 C70--IT'S ALIVE !!!!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #19
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
You may want to take a close look at the headlight on the fairing. Not sure about the Windjammers but the headlight assembly and even the complete blinker assemblies on my Luftmeister were the original parts off the bike. I was pretty excited to figure that out as I was sure I'd be dropping the cash to find all those bits.
Thad

I saw that your Lufty had the OEM headlight.....the vetter has a Carello (sp?) lens and reflector and the ring is plastic and twists on. I don't think it would work. The fairing is off the bike right now (blew a fuse working on the instrument cluster). The fairing mount needs to be rewelded as well. I keep looking at the bike thinking I'd like to get a stock headlight....but the knucklehead that mounted the fairing didn't bother to remove the turnsignal stalks....he just broke them off!!!!!
Overdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 634
Either you hate these fairings or love them.

I've enjoyed mine for almost 20 years without issue. The fairing and lowers extend my riding season to include all the winter months here in Arkansas. I take the whole thing off in the spring it's back to normal.

If a big road trip is on the horizon, I'll slap it back on and pound the miles out in comfort.

It's like having two bikes in one.

tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #21
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpark
Anyone still running windjammer type fairings on their airhead? pictures?I'm thinking about installing one on my 100/7. Pros?Cons?
If you want a fairing for a BMW airhead, pick the stock BMW S, RS or RT as suits your riding style. All are superior to any aftermarket barn door type. Lighter and won't destroy the looks or value. Just one opinion you have every right to ignore. If cheap has meaning to you, go ahead and get a barn door. They certainly are available and cheap, for good reason.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,755
The Luftmeisters and Vetters don't do well at speed. They're shaped like a wedge with the lower surface providing a lot of lift - good for aircraft, but not front end traction. Take a look at race bikes and the RS fairing - lower surfaces that come straight back or even slope back upwards creating a vacuum that helps plant the front end.

Do yourself a favor and get a decent fairing that's aerodynamic and handles well at speed. It's not only safer, but gas mileage can increase.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT
If you want a fairing for a BMW airhead, pick the stock BMW S, RS or RT as suits your riding style. All are superior to any aftermarket barn door type. Lighter and won't destroy the looks or value. Just one opinion you have every right to ignore. If cheap has meaning to you, go ahead and get a barn door. They certainly are available and cheap, for good reason.
How charmingly uncharitable!

Over time, styles, technology and tools all change but I'm sure that if we still had to depend on our old Airheads and period accessories as our best means of MC touring transportation, we'd still use those old fairings and we'd probably still love em.

Today, most of the guys who rode big miles behind those stylish-for-the-time Vetter and luftmeister fairings are dead or getting close to it, while the younger generation has better bikes, with better fairings, better electronics, better brakes, etc, etc. Therefore, fewer and fewer guys are using our old warhorses as was intended when they were built. Also, long gone are the days when you could turn your hand striped gas tank over and see the initials of the woman who pinstriped it. Right now the trend is towards stripping these vintage bikes back to factory specification but that may well change as more bikes are restored, as people begin to truly appreciate /5 and /6 bikes and as period-correct accessories in good-to-mint condition, become scarce.

Remember when you could buy a /2 for $250? Remember the Toaster Tank bikes when you could buy one for almost nothing because everyone hated the chrome tanks? Remember when everyone removed the 8-track stereos from their cars and threw em away? Remember, not-so-long-ago, when you could actually buy an old Indian out of a barn or a garage someplace for $250 and you could actually afford to fix it up? Just like with old cars, more and more guys not only want the bikes because they're "collectible" (Whatever that means!) but they also want the period accessories that went with them.

I predict that in less than 20 years, guys will be trailering restored 70s era BMWs to the BMWMOA Nationals, all decked out with mint Lufty fairings (Including those hard to find lowers with edge trim!), fiberglass top-loading bags, ride-off stands, mom+pop seats, CB radios, Lester wheels and all the rest of the swag listed in the 70s/80s era after-market catalogs and magazines. Oh yeah.... And the best-of-the-best examples will be bought up and exported to collectors in China, Europe and the Middle East.

Overdog, I wouldn't change anything on that bike and if I did, I'd keep the parts. Same thing goes for you Thumper.

If you live long enough, everything you own becomes an antique. Including you...

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 03:27 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #24
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 634
For what it is worth, I rode @ 80 mph on the /5 for 3 hours thru the Montana "landing strip" roads and my front wheel never left the ground, nor did I experience anything close to questionable handling.

Good point on the "collectableness" of the Windjammer and the like. I would never guess that these things would be valuable as people are giving them away now...but time has a funny way of changing perceptions.

I happen to like the look and the relative ease of removal and installation of mine. Seems putting on a RT or RS fairing is a all or nothing situation and once it is on, its on. There is a sort of plug and play usefulness to the Jammer.

Hell, even my turn signal stalks have survied the multiple years of bending back and forth to fit the bastard on there.

With almost 20 years riding with and without the Jammer it has proven to be a safe, reliable and functional fairing.

Cheers...and yes, your mind is okay!
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #25
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper
For what it is worth, I rode @ 80 mph on the /5 for 3 hours thru the Montana "landing strip" roads and my front wheel never left the ground, nor did I experience anything close to questionable handling.
SNIP!

With almost 20 years riding with and without the Jammer it has proven to be a safe, reliable and functional fairing.

Cheers...and yes, your mind is okay!
Yeah well...

My first Airhead (An R-75/6) had a Windjammer on it and I remember it being a pretty nice fairing! I owned that bike through a very rainy Tidewater, Va. Spring and Summer. I wasn't much crazy about the fairings looks but the bike always tracked straight, it handled truck passing and high wind situations just fine and I never, EVER experienced the front end going light, despite the fact that I frequently rode behind it at speeds above 80 mph.

While I'm continually pleased with the R90/6 that I traded it for, I sometimes wish that I had kept that bike. The 750 engine was so nice! The R90 is torquier and faster but the 750s have a magic of their own.

PS: Just in case anyone is interested: I bought a set of Minty Lester's about four years ago for my R90 project and paid top dollar, at $375 cash. I have recently seen a couple of sets selling in the $800+ range and they weren't even near perfect. I'm warning you... Prices for accessory parts are rising quickly and if the economy doesn't completely crash (And it might!!) they'll go higher. This is the time to hold on to what you have and buy what you really want. /5s and /6s are the /2s of the future.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 03:40 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote