ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #91
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
It was not my GPS, it was my faded memory of when I used to ride my mountain bike all over that area. Never went up there though that is for sure......

So don't blame technology, it was my feeble brain that got us there.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #92
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS
I think John's bottom line should read " Steverino's GPS will get you killed".

My wife works with 3 folks who grew up in Bacon Hollow. Yesterday one of them said "They went into Dogwood Valley on Saturday afternoon? Anybody give them any trouble?"

And you guys think I make this stuff up...

Ted
Along similar lines. About 12 years ago we purchased a large piece of mountain property in Amherst County which was part of a " holler" that backed up against the National Forest. The only two words Manfred, the 80 year old owner, could write were his name. Shortly after we closed on the place he took me around the property showing me a few ancient peach trees and the rusting remains of his moonshine still. He was a real character, I liked him.

Turns out though, we had placed ourselves in the middle of a family feud. Our neighbors which were Manfred's cousins, were married and had two adult albino sons, one of which played the banjo (I kid you not)...had always coveted a portion of "our" land. They immediately started to fence it off, which had 80+ year old Manfred out there with his shotgun and chainsaw cutting the fence down. Needless to say, by this time my wife's enthusiasm for moving out to the mountains, and living off the land with me, was slipping a little bit.

The whole scene was straight out of a movie, including the subsequent Adverse Possession lawsuit, which had these old mountain people dressed in their sunday best hurling insults at each other across the court room.

It's amazing what you can still find in the mountains right here along the crowded east coast. I like that, finding the old places is one of the things I like best about riding around here.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #93
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
Along similar lines. About 12 years ago we purchased a large piece of mountain property in Amherst County which was part of a " holler" that backed up against the National Forest. The only two words Manfred, the 80 year old owner, could write were his name. Shortly after we closed on the place he took me around the property showing me a few ancient peach trees and the rusting remains of his moonshine still. He was a real character, I liked him.

Turns out though, we had placed ourselves in the middle of a family feud. Our neighbors which were Manfred's cousins, were married and had two adult albino sons, one of which played the banjo (I kid you not)...had always coveted a portion of "our" land. They immediately started to fence it off, which had 80+ year old Manfred out there with his shotgun and chainsaw cutting the fence down. Needless to say, by this time my wife's enthusiasm for moving out to the mountains, and living off the land with me, was slipping a little bit.

The whole scene was straight out of a movie, including the subsequent Adverse Possession lawsuit, which had these old mountain people dressed in their sunday best hurling insults at each other across the court room.

It's amazing what you can still find in the mountains right here along the crowded east coast. I like that, finding the old places is one of the things I like best about riding around here.
So can we ride your land???

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:46 PM   #94
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,159
Quote:
Along similar lines. About 12 years ago we purchased a large piece of mountain property in Amherst County which was part of a " holler" that backed up against the National Forest.
Thanks for the warning! I've been looking for mountain property to buy in Amherst County (like, near Rt. 56). I guess I'll need a 4x4 Ford with a gun rack to fit in.

Just (west) up the road from where we got gas in Crozet, there is another feudin' family ... (hint, a few of the roads that way are named after them). They don't get along too good, either.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:12 PM   #95
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Those mountain folk are still kind of wild.. I know a guy who owns a 100 or so acres near Stonehouse Lake in Amherst. He suspects his neigbors of taking pot shots at him. The shots started just after he called the cops on their underage kids for driving like maniacs in a pickup truck and almost hitting him on the shared (state) dirt road that runs past their properties.. Now he packs heat in case he has to return fire! crazy..

Quote:
Along similar lines. About 12 years ago we purchased a large piece of mountain property in Amherst County...

The whole scene was straight out of a movie, including the subsequent Adverse Possession lawsuit, which had these old mountain people dressed in their sunday best hurling insults at each other across the court room..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #96
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
It was not my GPS, it was my faded memory of when I used to ride my mountain bike all over that area. Never went up there though that is for sure......

So don't blame technology, it was my feeble brain that got us there.
Steve, just trying to get a rise out of you! It's my fault for not being more direct in explaning that we should go back down to South River Road. I KNEW the roads to the left were dead ends but it's hard communicating with a bunch of guys wearing helmets sometimes.

Despite my screen name, I'm sure I'll own a GPS sometime. They've come a long way since we had to wait 45 minutes for a 3rd satellite in the sky for triangulation and then wait a couple of weeks for independent satellite trackers in CO to tell us where they really were when we took our readings. For you youngsters, DOD used to induce an error into GPS signals so you couldn't get a truly accurate fix on your position. This largely fell by the wayside during the first Gulf war. Many more satellites further enhance speed and accuracy.
Ted
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #97
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
So can we ride your land???

Barry
After the lawsuit and all, we didn't much feel like building a house and starting a family there...so we moved over the mountain to Rockbridge County. Sold the Amherst Property after that.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote