ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #46
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magile
I routinely get 220-240 miles per tank-full on 87 octane. How far does your's go? - M
I've never pushed it but 200ish.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #47
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer
 
JoelWisman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: STL, MO, USA
Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
I've read others that have had their bikes remapped for the lower octane.

I called and scheduled to have mine done this Friday.

The tech advised me that this will reduce HP greatly.

They also warned me that it may all not take the re program

I will be the first they have done at SSBMW.

We shall wait and see.
I have done this before, on my dealerships owners bike as a test.

Be advised. The BMS-K has exactly 13 slots for software uploads beyond the orignal, after this, your stuck with whatever you have unless you buy a new BMS-K.

Updating the firmware on the BMS-K requires one slot. A remap for low octane fuel is an update to the latest firmware and will require one slot. Switching from the latest low octane map to the latest normal octane map will require one slot.

I can't see BMW ever releasing more then half a dozzen updates, but each update you choose to get will take a slot and each toggling between low and normal octane maps will take a slot.


I long ago switched to the latest firmware normal octane map and it helped quite a bit with snatchyness. Neither the latest normal octane map nor low octane map will help with the on throttle to off throttle engine breaking, but both of the latest normal and low octane maps retard timing for half a second when going from no throttle to light throttle. This does help.

Dave (owners) bike felt very snatchy when I first rode it, here are the steps I took and my impressions.

1: Adjusted throttle cable from BMW specked slack to as tight as I could get it without the idle raising when bars were turned from lock to lock. WARNED Dave that if the weather got cold without readjustment of slack, idle might raise at full lock, made sure Dave knew how to test for this and readjust throttle cable slack.

This helped quite a bit. I'm going to say this made 50% of improvement I precieved.

2: loaded latest normal octane BMS-K firmware. If your firmware is older (smaller number) then 7729155, then your firmware was previous to the ignition retarding snatchy mod.

Test rode. The latest normal firmware made the other 50% improvement in snatchyness I precieved.

3: loaded the latest low octane map 7729157.

I didn't percieve any snatchyness improvement from this mod over the latest normal octane map. For that matter, I barely precieved any hp difference at all. The only affect it seemed to have was a very slight reduction of hp above 7,000 rpm at full throttle and a slight reduction of responciveness when you quickly go from low or no throttle to full throttle at lower rpms.

This squares with BMW's stated figure that the low octane map reduces peak output by 4 hp.

In any case, Dave is happy with what I did. He was going to trade his 800 for a 650, and now he is going to keep the 8.

Then again, Dave owns a dealership and trades bikes all the time so take this with a grain of salt. :)

this is all inconclusive. I didn't ride his bike offroad, or on road enough, to form a firm opinnion of what all the low octane mod does, but whatever it does is suttle.

Loading firmware 7729155, if your firmware was older then this makes a BIG difference, and reducing throttle cable slack helps as well.


If you decide to update your firmware to the latest, or to the latest low octane map, it takes about 30 minutes as long as the GT1 does not crash.

If you decide to go fourth with the low octane map, do your dealer a favor and tell them where it is if they have never done it. It took me a long time to find the bloody low octane mod.

The keystrokes on the GT1 are: (Toolbox), (CIP), (F series), (F800,650), (Check sw), (Retrofit), (Fuel type).

Then the usuall 15 yes and ok buttons and key on and offs required to do anything on the GT1 lol.

P.S. I run 89 ron all the time and have never had detonation issues, for that matter, I've never heard detonation when i've been forced to run 87 ron. All with the normal map.
__________________
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.

JoelWisman screwed with this post 05-18-2010 at 08:21 PM
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #48
Maddaddy
Greg
 
Maddaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 1,702
Rockin'

I will bring this with me.

Good to know about the the throttle on throttle off. That's another this was hoping to solve. At least I know not to be surprised or disappointed.

I'm going into this with an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
I have done this before, on my dealerships owners bike as a test.

Be advised. The BMS-K has exactly 13 slots for software uploads beyond the orignal, after this, your stuck with whatever you have unless you buy a new BMS-K.

Updating the firmware on the BMS-K requires one slot. A remap for low octane fuel is an update to the latest firmware and will require one slot. Switching from the latest low octane map to the latest normal octane map will require one slot.

I can't see BMW ever releasing more then half a dozzen updates, but each update you choose to get will take a slot and each toggling between low and normal octane maps will take a slot.


I long ago switched to the latest firmware normal octane map and it helped quite a bit with snatchyness. Neither the latest normal octane map nor low octane map will help with the on throttle to off throttle engine breaking, but both of the latest normal and low octane maps retard timing for half a second when going from no throttle to light throttle. This does help.

Dave (owners) bike felt very snatchy when I first rode it, here are the steps I took and my impressions.

1: Adjusted throttle cable from BMW specked slack to as tight as I could get it without the idle raising when bars were turned from lock to lock. WARNED Dave that if the weather got cold without readjustment of slack, idle might raise at full lock, made sure Dave knew how to test for this and readjust throttle cable slack.

This helped quite a bit. I'm going to say this made 50% of improvement I precieved.

2: loaded latest normal octane BMS-K firmware. If your firmware is older (smaller number) then 7729155, then your firmware was previous to the ignition retarding snatchy mod.

Test rode. The latest normal firmware made the other 50% improvement in snatchyness I precieved.

3: loaded the latest low octane map 7729157.

I didn't percieve any snatchyness improvement from this mod over the latest normal octane map. For that matter, I barely precieved any hp difference at all. The only affect it seemed to have was a very slight reduction of hp above 7,000 rpm at full throttle and a slight reduction of responciveness when you quickly go from low or no throttle to full throttle at lower rpms.

This squares with BMW's stated figure that the low octane map reduces peak output by 4 hp.

In any case, Dave is happy with what I did. He was going to trade his 800 for a 650, and now he is going to keep the 8.

Then again, Dave owns a dealership and trades bikes all the time so take this with a grain of salt. :)

this is all inconclusive. I didn't ride his bike offroad, or on road enough, to form a firm opinnion of what all the low octane mod does, but whatever it does is suttle.

Loading firmware 7729155, if your firmware was older then this makes a BIG difference, and reducing throttle cable slack helps as well.


If you decide to update your firmware to the latest, or to the latest low octane map, it takes about 30 minutes as long as the GT1 does not crash.

If you decide to go fourth with the low octane map, do your dealer a favor and tell them where it is if they have never done it. It took me a long time to find the bloody low octane mod.

The keystrokes on the GT1 are: (Toolbox), (CIP), (F series), (F800,650), (Check sw), (Retrofit), (Fuel type).

Then the usuall 15 yes and ok buttons and key on and offs required to do anything on the GT1 lol.

P.S. I run 89 ron all the time and have never had detonation issues, for that matter, I've never heard detonation when i've been forced to run 87 ron. All with the normal map.
__________________
PSSOR - Dualsport Training & Adventure Camps.
Off-Road Destructor Extraordinaire
Maddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #49
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,204
Joel:

Thanks once again buddy!

At the 12K service I will ask for the new 1/2 second "retard" firmware ...

Are the firmware numbers the same for the F800GS and F650GS-twin?
i.e. I want 7729155 for my F650GS twin?

Thanks,
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #50
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,673
!/2 second

Now that I'm 45 I find it takes me a little longer to remember stuff. Maybe my firmware has now reached the 1/2 second retard stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Joel:

Thanks once again buddy!

At the 12K service I will ask for the new 1/2 second "retard" firmware ...

Are the firmware numbers the same for the F800GS and F650GS-twin?
i.e. I want 7729155 for my F650GS twin?

Thanks,
Jim
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #51
Maddaddy
Greg
 
Maddaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
I will ask for the new 1/2 second "retard" firmware ...
Jim
Smart move, because everyone knows you never go full "retard"...
__________________
PSSOR - Dualsport Training & Adventure Camps.
Off-Road Destructor Extraordinaire
Maddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #52
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer
 
JoelWisman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: STL, MO, USA
Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Joel:

Thanks once again buddy!

At the 12K service I will ask for the new 1/2 second "retard" firmware ...

Are the firmware numbers the same for the F800GS and F650GS-twin?
i.e. I want 7729155 for my F650GS twin?

Thanks,
Jim
No, The BMS-K and firmware are different on the 650. I have no idea what changed or when with the 650's. Sorry :(
__________________
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #53
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
No, The BMS-K and firmware are different on the 650. I have no idea what changed or when with the 650's. Sorry :(
Thanks Joel!

If I'd have been in charge of the firmware

1) It probably would be "FULL" retard

and

2) I'd probably have made it a separate version as well due to the differences in cam timing & etc and all the maps I want to change to get those extra 14 HP

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #54
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 291
Another owner had put a post on the other F650/F800 GS site and said that he had purchased a "Booster Plug" and that solved his problem. He didn't elaborate as to what it did, or if it affected fuel consumption, or how hard it was to install, or specifically how it improved the throttle on/off etc. Has anyone tried the Booster Plug? If so, what kind of improvment did you see? Thanks. oclv
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #55
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,204
There's a couple threads on the BP...
I think most users are happy with the results:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=booster+plug

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=booster+plug
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #56
Maddaddy
Greg
 
Maddaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454
Another owner had put a post on the other F650/F800 GS site and said that he had purchased a "Booster Plug" and that solved his problem. He didn't elaborate as to what it did, or if it affected fuel consumption, or how hard it was to install, or specifically how it improved the throttle on/off etc. Has anyone tried the Booster Plug? If so, what kind of improvment did you see? Thanks. oclv
So after reading and researching I ordered a Booster Plug as well. I received a prompt personal email from the maker stating it will be in the mail on Monday.

If the re-map helps with the snap with a closed throttle, then this should help with the on off throttle at speed.

I may get this beast tamed to be a real overland bike after all.
__________________
PSSOR - Dualsport Training & Adventure Camps.
Off-Road Destructor Extraordinaire
Maddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:34 AM   #57
cdo1uk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
cdo1uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 109
i have found a way of making the 800GS feel silky smooth..... all you have to do is go to your local Yamaha dealer and buy an XT660X/R and ride that for a while, get back on your F800 and there you go. silky smooth.... hmmmmmm
cdo1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #58
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: London England
Oddometer: 494
I was going to say that, if anyone feels the BMW is snatchy Ride An XT660, the throttle really is an on and off switch
__________________
Live a little Love a little Ride a lot
Adventure boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #59
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 371
[quote=JoelWisman]
This squares with BMW's stated figure that the low octane map reduces peak output by 4 hp.



This is interesting. I had a software update at one point and afterward kept thinking the bike felt a little soft on top. There are two steep hills on my way to work, places where I run the bike WFO in 2nd & 3rd on one, and 3rd-4th-5th on the other. I noticed that I was not hitting the same top speeds. Seemed to run fine though, so I quit thinking about it. Now I know it wasn't my imagination!
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #60
Maddaddy
Greg
 
Maddaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 1,702
So I had my re-map done. I CAN feel a difference. Also confirmed by another with an objective view. From null to about 1600 rpm the jumpiness is gone. I also feel that as I ran up through the gears the transition was much smoother.

The off / on throttle jerkiness at speed is still there. Which should be solved with the booster plug.

The dealer want me to check in about a month to compare fuel economy.

My riding routine is pretty consistent (commuting, speed, ect ect) So I'll report back soon.
__________________
PSSOR - Dualsport Training & Adventure Camps.
Off-Road Destructor Extraordinaire
Maddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014