Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #35401
Colorado Col Rider
Wee Stromming Now

Oddometer: 197
thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack
Here's the fuel can mounted on the DR out in the central Oregon desert. Went 450 miles that day to meet up with friends.

Yes, that center stand is from procycle and my best farkle so far.

Dave
That's cool! Can you take the bracket off when you don't need the extra can? Does the extra weight on one side cause any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase
Personally, if not planning to ride while there I'd take the truck and forget the bike.
I'm actually racing a road bike for 470 miles around Iowa, and the nice thing about the motorcycle is I can throw it in the team trailer and don't have to find my way back to the starting line to get my truck because the bike would be there when I'm done, PS the road bike's being shipped either way, not trying to give the community beverly hillbillish images of me with a road bike stuck to the back of my DR.

I'm curious about what distances I can expect. Smilin Jack said expect about 450 miles a day, Sounds right to me, what's the consensus with that?
Colorado Col Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #35402
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
The DR is pretty good on long, boring highway riding. You can cruise at 80 mph indicated (74 mph actual) all day. Carrying gas would be good if you can do it safely. If you can rig a BBQ rack on the back then you can probably carry a nice big duffel and wedge in a 2 gallon Fuel jug. Don't forget the GOOD EAR PLUGS. Use them! With the Two Gallon jug you should have about a 200 mile range. (mas o menos)

As a bicyclist your butt should handle the torture rack stock DR seat. Just get your head in the right space and keep on rolling. I did a 1000 mile day coming home from Baja (about 22 hours) and did 750 miles coming home from a rally in Colorado. (14 hours)

The trick is taking nice long breaks, stretching, eating light and drinking plenty of water. (Camel Back a MUST!) But as a bike racer I'm sure I don't have to tell you all this. You'll do fine, you guys are tough as nails. I'm 61 and can still do it so should be a cake walk for you. Have FUN!

I'm thinking your jetting should be OK. I'm running a 155, Jesse's cut air box, DJ needle 3rd position, and am at sea level. All good. Worst case would be to go richer on the needle clip (the needle covers cruising RPM from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle).

Your 155 main jet should be OK but the needle clip may need to richen up a tad for safe sea level running at high speed in high heat.

The Trail Wing rear will be finished by the end of the trip. Small price to pay. Clean and Oil chain once a day, run correct pressures in tires. For touring with T-Wings I'd run just slightly higher pressures. 24 front, 28 rear. No higher. Don't listen to the BMW guys on tire pressures ...
The DR is 324 lbs. dry, not a 630 lbs. GS.

(Suzuki recommends 22 front, 25 rear, perfect for day to day riding. But touring and carrying a load, you need to go up just a bit)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #35403
TREE
Interloper

Oddometer: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack
Mounted an LED side marker on the back of the DR as an extra tail light. Commuting to work in the dark and wanting to be seen was the motivation. ......... Dave
Can you take a closer photo with the light turned off ? Would be nice to see the installation. Tnx.

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #35404
Colorado Col Rider
Wee Stromming Now

Oddometer: 197
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
The DR is pretty good on long, boring highway riding. You can cruise at 80 mph indicated (74 mph actual) all day. Carrying gas would be good if you can do it safely. If you can rig a BBQ rack on the back then you can probably carry a nice big duffel and wedge in a 2 gallon Fuel jug. Don't forget the GOOD EAR PLUGS. Use them! With the Two Gallon jug you should have about a 200 mile range. (mas o menos)

As a bicyclist your butt should handle the torture rack stock DR seat. Just get your head in the right space and keep on rolling. I did a 1000 mile day coming home from Baja (about 22 hours) and did 750 miles coming home from a rally in Colorado. (14 hours)

The trick is taking nice long breaks, stretching, eating light and drinking plenty of water. (Camel Back a MUST!) But as a bike racer I'm sure I don't have to tell you all this. You'll do fine, you guys are tough as nails. I'm 61 and can still do it so should be a cake walk for you. Have FUN!

I'm thinking your jetting should be OK. I'm running a 155, Jesse's cut air box, DJ needle 3rd position, and am at sea level. All good. Worst case would be to go richer on the needle clip (the needle covers cruising RPM from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle).

Your 155 main jet should be OK but the needle clip may need to richen up a tad for safe sea level running at high speed in high heat.

The Trail Wing rear will be finished by the end of the trip. Small price to pay. Clean and Oil chain once a day, run correct pressures in tires. For touring with T-Wings I'd run just slightly higher pressures. 24 front, 28 rear. No higher. Don't listen to the BMW guys on tire pressures ...
The DR is 324 lbs. dry, not a 630 lbs. GS.

(Suzuki recommends 22 front, 25 rear, perfect for day to day riding. But touring and carrying a load, you need to go up just a bit)
thanks for the tips and the confidence, I think I'm in, the money I would save is a huge factor.
Colorado Col Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #35405
tx_medic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Col Rider
thanks for the tips and the confidence, I think I'm in, the money I would save is a huge factor.
That's what these guys do best. They talked me into a DR650 just two days ago!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #35406
Northyork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
fuel chart, sorted by average fuel consumption

It is raining around here, so I decided to update the chart with the latest info.

Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #35407
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Col Rider
I'm curious about what distances I can expect. Smilin Jack said expect about 450 miles a day, Sounds right to me, what's the consensus with that?
I've done 750 mile days on my DR, its a long haul on a bike like this. If you allow yourself 18 hours or so, its not bad, although I don't know that I'd feel like racing a bicycle the next day . That having been said, I don't often feel like racing a bicycle at all so YMMV.

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #35408
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 853
Quick question for those with RAD hubs on their Supermoto setups. Is there a specific spacer for the disc side of the front hub? When I went to install my second hand supermoto set with my stock spacer, the tire is rubbing the left fork leg pretty good. Making me think that a longer than stock spacer is need to push the wheel over to the right a bit, so as to center everything up.

Idears?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #35409
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
Colorado Col Rider, You do know that you will have to write a report on both of the rides, DR 650 and the Road Bike, and post it here, and pictures are always nice.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #35410
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Quick question for those with RAD hubs on their Supermoto setups. Is there a specific spacer for the disc side of the front hub? When I went to install my second hand supermoto set with my stock spacer, the tire is rubbing the left fork leg pretty good. Making me think that a longer than stock spacer is need to push the wheel over to the right a bit, so as to center everything up.Idears?
Nope. The RAD hubs use the stock spacers. They fit just like stock hubs.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #35411
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
Northyork - thing of beauty! Thanks for doing that. When I finally get around to opening the carb, I'll get the set up.

I'm currently in the middle of ProCycle's Shock Solution Kit with a heavier spring. Evidently, I'm not tall enough for my weight. ProCycle's instructions on their site help a lot and the Race Tech video (included) adds the finishing touch.

One tricky item but straight forward for a back yard mechanic.

It's all a puzzle, just get the pieces in the right place.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #35412
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,407
Bike just shut off today. Moved the wiring harness around a little and was able to get it to start. Drove 100 yards and it quit again. No headlite no starter. Nothing. The wires that seemed to get it going when I moved them were the ones coming outta the keyswitch.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #35413
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Not good.
Carefully check cable and wire bundle routing. The bundle going into the ignition may be abrading somewhere, or is being pulled on by mis-routed Speedo or clutch cable. Check everything as you turn bars to and fro. May help shed light on where the problem lies.

Take everything off .... tank, headlight shroud. Have a long look. Lets hope its something simple.

If its isolated to the ignition wires right under the switch, then you can disassemble things and UN-PLUG the ignition switch from main bundle, then using Torx Security bit, you can un-bolt the ignition switch, install new a one which comes with NEW wiring/plug.

Take your time, look for abraded wire that is grounding somewhere or a wire pulled out of connector or something. Use VOM meter to check for continuity as you "wiggle" wires. May turn up where fault is.

Good hunting.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #35414
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Bike just shut off today. Moved the wiring harness around a little and was able to get it to start. Drove 100 yards and it quit again. No headlite no starter. Nothing. The wires that seemed to get it going when I moved them were the ones coming outta the keyswitch.
I had a similar fault with my DR200. Taking the keys out and reaching in behind the light to jiggle the wires always got it to start. Until it didn't. And then I had to tear it apart on the sidewalk, 20km from home or work.

Turned out that the fault was a loose battery terminal. Those suckers need tightening with a spanner, not a screwdriver.

The only explanation I can come up with for the red-herring fix of jiggling the wires was that getting off the bike and rooting around moved the bike enough to move the battery or associated cabling around and get contact.

A prime example of correlation not being causation.

miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #35415
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle
Nope. The RAD hubs use the stock spacers. They fit just like stock hubs.
So, I got my wheels mounted up and everything fits nicely, except...

It looks like the offset of the front wheel is goofy. I have maybe 1/8" clearance from the tire to the left fork leg. The right leg has waay more room. So, I'm guessing my front rim needs to be loosened and shifted over, so as to get some even clearance going on.