User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
mdl91881 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Airhead Turn Signal Help

So I just got a 81 r100rt. Not a fan of the fairings so they have been removed. While I was in the process of finding a set of fork ears I just rode with the headlight bracket with the fairing mounts. I know installed the regular headlight ears and have a small problem.... For some reason my turn signals stopped working??? Everything else works fine and I cant seem to figure it out.

Has anyone else every had this problem?
mdl91881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Middleweightboxer
Middleweightboxer

Oddometer: 680
We need more info. It seems you wouldn't be using the RT turn signals with naked mounts. What kind of turn signals are you using? BMW S type stalk mounts, LED or what?

My first thought is to make sure you have a good ground for the turn signals. Also if you have installed LED bulbs or smaller wattage bulbs that originally installed the flasher will not flash because it needs more resistance on the line.

Tiger 800XC, R1, FZ1, RD400, CB400F
R80ST, R90S, Monster S2R, Penton 125 JPS, T25T

Middleweightboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
mdl91881 OP
n00b

yes, I'm using the stalk mounts and they are not LED, they are OEM BMW signals.

As far as a ground goes... From looking at a wiring diagram it looks like the ground comes off the main board (brown wires) in the headlight bucket, should I run a ground wire direct from the board to the battery to check to see if that is the problem?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,939
Ok, so the system is set up as stock, and I assume you put it together? I assume the flashers worked originally, and possibly even after the fairing was removed.

Were the flashers working after fairing removal?

The wiring to the blinkers normally comes from the circuit board, through the headlight shell, over to a hole in the headlight ear conical part, down to the stalk, through the tube and into the blinker body.

Is it run that way?

Do the rear signals work?

One way to check whether it's a problem of supply or ground is to use a jumper wire - from the negative battery terminal touch the ground at the light. Or touch it at the ground plane (brown section on the circuit board - brown=ground on these bikes). If that's the problem, the light should then flash (blinkers on, of course).

Or clip it to the positive battery terminal and then touch to the positive lead at the light (it should then light)

I'd suspect the problem is ground related if neither of them now works - that's the only commonality between the two sides except for the flasher. But it doesn't sound like there's a problem with the rear flashers, so I'm assuming it's doing ok.

There should already be a ground line from the circuit board to the frame - probably at the left side coil mount.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
mdl91881 OP
n00b

Thanks for the help guys... It was a ground isssue, everything is working great now!