User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
SlowRide13 OP
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Narrower handlebars???

I came from a dirt bike background- mostly fast woods riding, so I always liked my handlebars to be as narrow as possible. Now my F8 bars seem ridiculously wide to me- thinking about whacking an inch off each side.

But I'm new to the street and to big bikes in general. Can anyone advise me on any possible ramifications from doing this?
Thank you,
Pete
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Have thought the same but haven't investigated yet (just picked up my 800GS this Thursday & this is a busy graduation weekend).

I assume that you would lose the bar-end weight/hand guard mounting plug if you cut the bars. Or at least have to drill it deeper & re-tap. Also haven't looked to see if the controls are pinned to the bar. That would be another hassle.

I'm thinking that I won't be doing single track on this bike so I will just adjust to the width & forego the hassles.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13
Can anyone advise me on any possible ramifications from doing this?
I've thought about this as well as an explanation for my difficulty in generating as good a mediocre powerslide to the right compared to the left.

I'll check the service dvd for you, but I think the grips are held in place with a screw into the bar - so at the very least you may have to drill and tap in another spot.

EDIT: I was a few minutes off the above poster - sorry for the repetition. I really should learn to type faster.

EDIT #2: Yup, both grips are screwed into the bar.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."

Bartron screwed with this post 05-30-2010 at 07:31 PM
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
don't know about you guys but you might want to think aboutcutting them down if you offroad with bags, i know my bars are the same width as my bags and just the other day i caught the right bag on a big rock as a reminder as to just what a fat ass she is with bags!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I switched to Renthal Twinwall (I think RC high bend) bars - no problem. I don't know if/how much more narrow they are than stock, but the position - sweep and rise worked out prefect for me. Stock grips, etc all transferred over to the new bars no problem.

Edit: I'm running Barkbusters with these bars (there is a specific kit for Renthal bars). BMW hand guards also work, but the part that clamps around the bar needs to be widened up some to fit the Renthals (they are larger in diameter).

Trout screwed with this post 06-04-2010 at 10:32 AM
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
On a big bike you need big bars imo, but i will go to RC high's like trout on both bikes.
My Axis bars on the WR300 are about 2' shorter than my F8 ones so theres not a big diffrence width wise. Your going to lose leverage over the bike something you need on a 200+KG bike, its going to be twitchier, harder to comit the bike to a corner if your pushing your outside foot down. And you'll lose some low speed ballance as well.
Of corse all this is relative to how much shorter your bars are, but its not that hard to adjust to the width you just need to turn through tight gaps.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
I too have thought about cutting off some bar end. My background is also off road and tight woods. I have the Bark Buster hand gards with the end caps and the bars look rediculously wide. On the positive side, with a tip over and I have had a couple of OH Sh*t, the bar width kept the plastic from touching the ground. So maybe I will just keep the Long Horns. Now I'll be one of those guys I use to point at and laugh.

LaPorte