User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
rchrds OP
Head Doucher

Oddometer: 117
moving the turn signal controls

Hello- first post, first week with my new F800GS. I have found the turn signals to be WAY too far back (towards the rear of the bike) when riding- I have to take most of my hand off the grip to actuate the levers (particularly the cancel button.) Do these assemblies rotate? I took the back cover off one of them, but couldn't see what was holding it in place- I assumed there would be a clamp of some sort, but there doesn't seem to be. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jason
rchrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
I am sure our hands are different but I felt very similar to how you feel now. But given time I don't have much trouble now with them. I'd say give it a solid couple of months of riding and you will be fine with them.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Yeah same here thought i couldn't reach them, took me a few weeks to get a feel for the indicators. I rode down the freeway with my thumbs resting on the indicators for a while to train myself to remeber where they were until it was second nature.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Hendo66
Hendo66

Oddometer: 166
Hey Richard, new too, give it some time and you do get used to the indicators and the cancel function. Certainly feels strange at first!
Hendo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
On the throttle side, remove the two little screws on the cover, then loosen the big screw inside, rotate, tighten big screw and replace cover.

If it's just the cancel button that's hard to reach, at least that side is easy to rotate.

Clutch side the controls are screwed to the grip and bars, hard to rotate unless you want to drill and tap new holes or glue it in place.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
yellow zebra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Yup, another one for 'strange at first!'...

Please do not make any changes until you've given it another week or three...

On the 3rd ride on my 800, I returned home and striped the indicator switch housing to see how I could rotate them.

Trick: there is a pin/screw that passes right thru' the handlebar, stopping the housing from being rotated.

So I persevered, and within a week or so it felt like the most natural position!

I came from a Dakar, with the left-mounted switch for left turn/right turn AND cancel, so I thought the 800 setup strange!

But don't do anything yet, like hundeds of others, in a few weeks you will wonder what the fuss was about!

Be sure to report back.................
yellow zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
rchrds OP
Head Doucher

Okay- I will wait, thanks for the responses guys. I also came from another bike- a small suzuki with MUCH more ergonomic thumb controls.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
FWIW I rotated the bars forward, I kept hitting the horn instead of the signal buton. after adding the Rox risers all was even better
Old 06-04-2010, 01:40 AM   #9
Rubber_Down
SF Rat...

Oddometer: 83
Same experience here. Why would BMW take what is one button on most every bikes and make it three? Taking my thumb off the underside of the throttle just feels wrong, and it's been 1000+ miles. bitch bitch bitch moan moan, perhaps I'm just a little bit of a slow learner.

2009 BMW GS F800
2003 KTM 672 SXC, Adventure Style (sold)
2006 Ducati 620 MTS Dark (sold)
2005 KTM 950 Adventure (sold)
Rubber_Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Don't forget the turn signals are self-cancelling - if moving your thumb isn't convenient for your current throttle position, the indicators cancel after 15 seconds of motion. They will remain on indefinitely while the bike it stopped.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I think it's a distance thing and not a time thing. And, myself, I quickly became used to the two buttons and would have trouble going back to a single now.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
rchrds OP
Head Doucher

Oohhhh- I didn't know that. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Don't forget the turn signals are self-cancelling - if moving your thumb isn't convenient for your current throttle position, the indicators cancel after 15 seconds of motion. They will remain on indefinitely while the bike it stopped.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride
I think it's a distance thing and not a time thing. And, myself, I quickly became used to the two buttons and would have trouble going back to a single now.
Might be. The sales brochure for the 2010 model says 15 seconds, but I have noticed on my regular commute, where there's a series of left-left-left turns I tend to leave the signal on for, I find myself thinking "was that really 15 seconds already?"

I still swap regularly from the Wee to the BMW. It's mildly embarrassing getting on the Wee and honking the horn instead of indicating left, but much worse hitting the Wee's kill switch instead of cancelling the turn signal!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #14
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Might be. The sales brochure for the 2010 model says 15 seconds, but I have noticed on my regular commute, where there's a series of left-left-left turns I tend to leave the signal on for, I find myself thinking "was that really 15 seconds already?"

I still swap regularly from the Wee to the BMW. It's mildly embarrassing getting on the Wee and honking the horn instead of indicating left, but much worse hitting the Wee's kill switch instead of cancelling the turn signal!
I do that all the time LOL. I exercise our entire used fleet of BMW and non BMW used bikes. I get so confused I'll activate the ESA on one bike, hit the high beams on the next, honk the shit out of the horn for left turns, grind the starter for right, then lock up the back tire on a scooter thinking I'm pulling in the clutch!

FYI the self cancel has different defaults in different markets. It's a time moving, or distance thing, whichever comes first.

Both the time and distance cancel settings are independently settable for different values or either or both can be disabled.

Using the GT1 scan tool.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote