Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
windsurfer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Well, the talkin' is over. Here's the beast. I got to tell ya, I'm taking quite a liking to it. So much easier to ride then my 1150 GS. Hmm.
Attached Images

windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
WindSurfer:

Congrats!

Very nice ... what tires are those?
It looks like BMW has switched up OEM suppliers again...........???

Thanks!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
windsurfer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The tires are Metzeler Tourance EXPs
Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
windsurfer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another view
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,716
If your SO is going to be riding the bike and its not going to be flogged off road but only ridden on some fire roads then a pair of Shinko 705 will do just fine.

Although the "knobbier" tires look much cooler they do not hold the road as well as a more road oriented dual sport tire, such as the one that is on there now, will!

So as she gets use to this tire and you flip her over to a tire with less road contact make sure she is aware of what will happen... it took me by surprise and now I have to cognitively think about what tires I have on the bike and what it can do.. road or no road!
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #21
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
If your SO is going to be riding the bike and its not going to be flogged off road but only ridden on some fire roads then a pair of Shinko 705 will do just fine.

Although the "knobbier" tires look much cooler they do not hold the road as well as a more road oriented dual sport tire, such as the one that is on there now, will!

So as she gets use to this tire and you flip her over to a tire with less road contact make sure she is aware of what will happen... it took me by surprise and now I have to cognitively think about what tires I have on the bike and what it can do.. road or no road!
Not true with the Heidenau K60!! My wife is a hoon and I can scrape hard parts with them and then run off road and have a ball AND I only have to swap tires out about every 10k miles.

Not conjecture! FACT!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #22
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan
Not true with the Heidenau K60!! My wife is a hoon and I can scrape hard parts with them and then run off road and have a ball AND I only have to swap tires out about every 10k miles.

Not conjecture! FACT!
Sure if you can find them but for $100 less she will have a smoother tire and be better off... lets think about the rider and not ourselves once! oh right, Its not about you and what you can do on the bike its what the rider of the bike feels comfortable with!

I love how everything has to be balls to the wall here regardless of who is riding the bike!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #23
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan

Not conjecture! FACT!
So since I didn't know I went and looked it up.

Hoon activities can include speeding, burnouts, doughnuts or screeching tires.[1] Those commonly identified as being involved in "hooning" or street racing are young, predominantly male although increasingly female drivers in the age range of 17 and 35 years.[2]

So maybe my assumptions are off... she can ride like a bat out hell... We appear to be on the opposites of the spectrum.. my apologies... lets see what the OP has to say??
Old 05-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #24
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
Sure if you can find them but for $100 less she will have a smoother tire and be better off... lets think about the rider and not ourselves once! oh right, Its not about you and what you can do on the bike its what the rider of the bike feels comfortable with!

I love how everything has to be balls to the wall here regardless of who is riding the bike!
$100 less? What math are you using? Twice the life has to be added in here . . . or actually, subtracted, as it reduces overall cost.

Heidenau has no more vibration than the OEM. I use them, my wife uses them, several other friends use them. This makes it verifiable fact versus what you are stating with, from what I can tell, no experience with them.

As for you hoon description, yes, one could define it as you have. Your definition does not apply here! I'm 42, my wife 34. We have two kids with a third on the way, I'm a professional fire fighter (whose entire job depends on a clean driving record), and my wife is a senior admin. asst. for a major health insurance company. Hardly the model for the description you paint. We enjoy our bikes and ride them to their fullest. We go 400 + mile days on them (YES, with Heidenau), run off to do creek crossings, ride the twisites on pavement, and just about everything else. You'll never see so much as an ounce of alcohol pass our lips before the kickstand is down for the last time in a day and you'll never see any skin exposed below the neck when riding. It's ATGATT.

Before you go off half cocked, know your facts and to whom you speak them to, of, and about.

You should do a little research in to this tire! They're not snake oil!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #25
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Been reading many posts by Bike4Fun and it seems he or she has a bit of a chip! bmwfan love your posts about you and your wife riding together...and your input about the H60's....we are getting ready to install them on both bikes for our trip cross country this summer..and are really looking forward to taking detours and do exactly what you described....creek crossing, forest roads and finding that perfect view that we would not get from our car.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #26
Jdubb
DL1000, WR250R

Oddometer: 148
Wink mix Anakee and karoo

I have 650 with 12,000 miles. I find for me the best combination is the 140 Anakee II on the back with a Metzler karoo II on the front. Just road the White Rim trail with this combo and found that the Anakee had plenty of traction. I like the knobby on the front since it really works in the loose stuff and the rocks. We kinda hustled on the rim so I ran 35 PSI front and back. It took us about 5-1/2 hours Moab to Moab. It works great in the gravel but does not like mud. The karoo is the only radial tubless I could find. if you look in the tech manuals from the tire companies they say to not mix radial and bias ply tires.
Jdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #27
Stixx
Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
you can use either or the 140 or 150 0n both bikes....but why spend more money on the 150 if you don't have too?

Sadly if you look them up the 140 is much more expensive than the 150 . My dealer told me it is because they sell so few of them. I'm calling BS on it but he is right to the extent all the retailers charge considerably more for the 140 than the 150.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #28
NoMoIke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Holy crap! Moon BMW outside Minneapolis just quoted me $520 (installed) on a set of K60s.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #29
runnr548
BMW Pilot

Oddometer: 124
Cool2

I have Heidenau K60's on three bikes. One F650GS twin and two F650GS thumpers. We love them! Mostly street riding, but some gravel...dirt...water crossing...hard rain showers...heat...etc...We simply love them.
runnr548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #30
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
Sadly if you look them up the 140 is much more expensive than the 150 . My dealer told me it is because they sell so few of them. I'm calling BS on it but he is right to the extent all the retailers charge considerably more for the 140 than the 150.

I don't know who your dealer is but here in ABQ a 150 k60 is about $195 and a 140 is about $175