User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
Waino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
My 2 cents.

Unless you plan on getting off pavement frequently, my advice would be to look at the F650GS. Still plenty of power, a little lower, and with the smaller front tire, easier to maneuver. It's an awesome street bike, and capable of taking on fire roads.

By all means ride both before you decide. The snatchy throttle on the 800 takes quite a bit of getting used to, even for someone who has been riding for awhile. You can't go wrong with either bike, but I'd start with the F650 as the default choice.

Like I said. Free advice is worth just that.
Waino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 AM   #17
hungrosity
Oh! So I'm the Ass

Oddometer: 13
If you love it.....

I am a noob rider compared to the adventurers on this site so please take my advice for what it is worth. I ride probably 70% on road and 30% off road with my '09 800GS. I love it. It is super fun in the winding twisty roads, plenty of power to haul my fat ass around, and does more than I will probably ever be able to handle off road. My inseam is 30" and I had the bike seat switched for a lower option from the dealer. The seat is made the bike manageable for me and I can have both feet pretty solidly on the ground at a stop. It is still a little tall when doing offroad but I haven't had any incidents. I have dropped the bike a couple times but both were either at stand still or very slow speed. It had to do with gravel where I was putting my foot down (I live in Colorado and there is sand/gravel on the roads all the time). Both times my hard bags (Hepco and Becker Gobi) kept the bike from messing up anything requiring money or time to fix. I highly suggest these bags as they have been proven (in my world) to be pretty bombproof and easy to handle.

Here is the biggest 4 pieces of advice I can give as a non-beastly adventurer..........

1) TAKE THE CLASS. There is no substitute for learning to ride (again) than a structured class in the care of professional teachers on other people's bikes. As much as there is daring and sometimes outlandish things on this forum, I think most would agree that you are ultimately responsible for your own safety which includes your bike handling skills and wearing the proper equipment even if it doesn't look as cool as some of the other MC riders out there.

2) The biggest thing I had to get used to with the 800 GS was the twitchy throttle. At low speeds it can really throw you off balance and if you are attempting single track offroad or something that requires precision, the throttle can take some getting used to. There are those that say switching to a 17 tooth gear in the front will reduce the twitchiness and lower your RPM's at highway speeds. I don't know but I have been considering it.

3) It is easy to get sucked into these forums and ADV is absolutely the most fun and easy to get sucked in to. There are many people on here with a myriad of opinions on how to set up your bike, what the best things to do on your bike are, and how you should behave in order to become a beastly adventurer. Take all of it with a grain of salt and integrate what works for you. There is a ton of great information here on bikes, rides, great people, and tech advice. But, ultimately, you are the one who is going riding and you have to find what works best for you.

4) Your bike should give you a boner. I have had the bike for almost two years and still open the door to the garage to look at it from time to time. I love the way it looks, rides, and just the sheer enjoyment of riding a quality machine. I was at the dealership today picking up the bike from a couple of recalls I had done. I was looking at all the new bikes and color schemes (love the 30th ann. color scheme too :) but was excited about going out and getting on my bike. In the end, you are the one that has to find the bike that gives you a boner. The 800 is a great choice but you may find you like something else too. Ride them, compare them, and enjoy them.

Hungrosity
hungrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #18
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrosity

4) Your bike should give you a boner. I have had the bike for almost two years and still open the door to the garage to look at it from time to time. I love the way it looks, rides, and just the sheer enjoyment of riding a quality machine. I was at the dealership today picking up the bike from a couple of recalls I had done. I was looking at all the new bikes and color schemes (love the 30th ann. color scheme too :) but was excited about going out and getting on my bike. In the end, you are the one that has to find the bike that gives you a boner. The 800 is a great choice but you may find you like something else too. Ride them, compare them, and enjoy them.

Hungrosity
well said!

I dont know if my bike is a he or a she but it sure as hell gives me a boner.

Not strange though since it is the really quick 30th ann. boner alert version..