User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 536
Installed my new HDB Ultimate hand guards today. Very nice kit, thanks Paul.

Installation wasn't bad, its just that the KTM heated grips and G2 cam caused some extra time.

The KTM hand guards, at least on my bike, had a flange outside the bar end, under the grip creating a 9 mm gap under the grips when removed.

On the throttle side I have a G2 throttle cam. The cam tube has an inner ring preventing the grip from being installed too close to the throttle housing. This forces the grip off the end of the throttle tub. A 6 mm spacer was installed.

Some how I needed to get rid of 9mm of space at each end so that the HDB guard bar would mount against the bar end.

The controls on both sides would not move inward because of the alignment holes in the bar. I didn't want to shave off the pegs to allow free placement of the controls. Not sure why I didn't do this.

I put extra washers on the left one extra washer on the right and cut down the grip on the right. On the KTM heated grip there is a recessed channel near the bar end, intended for a zip-tie. I cut up to the outer edge of this channel. I only cut through rubber and did not touch the heating elements. There is a limit to how many washers/spacers you can add to the end of the bars because the guard bars will no longer reach the mount.

The bar top plate is blank for now, as I decide that switches to put where and what type of power connectors I will need.

I got black anodized everything to match the blackness of the bike. Black fasteners would make good sense when someone orders the all black option.

The HDB hand guards look very cool and are very well built.

I held off on the mirrors because I like the KTM folding mirrors.

Beefy left (notice zip-tie channel with tie)

Control stack

Beefy right

HDB Cool
EdGear is online now   Reply With Quote