Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
jeffjbmw
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 733
Some people have taken a different approach. They change some of the odd stuff to more common hardware. I have a GPS mount on my handlebars so the external torx for that are eliminated. I use the L10241 Purolator. So no special oil filter wrench. And some of that stuff is nice ideas that can be copped for pennies.

I also really like the stubby ratchet with the extension.

Read my blog: http://jeffszen.blogspot.com/
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Snap-on makes a stubby that accepts 3/8" drive, including extensions as shown above, a little pricey at almost $80, but looks nice.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

(no association with Snap-on)
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #18
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John
Is there a web link?
+2
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John
Is there a web link?
http://www.advdesigns.net/ulcobmwr1gsg.html
Old 06-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #20
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Blane:
["The only thing I need (want) is the break apart ratchet. Anyone know where I could source this out?"]

SR1:
["I am not sure why that kit is $199"]
Chinese toolkit here for $19: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5259/119/
Crartsman version of the above for $40 is U.S.A made, also has zipper case. Best sockets are thin-walled like snap-on, proto, Mac, are 6 point with maybe an extra 12 point 10 mm, but a full set of premium sockets isn't necessary for the road. Found that it was best to buy individual sockets and spanners sized for specific tasks. Kept track of specific tools used for service then included those in custom road kit.

Forged aluminum like the Motion-Pro stuff is worth the bucks. Up to 90 ft-lbs torque. Was looking at their forged Al long tire spoons w/6 point spanner box ends. Nice. Anybody work for NASA? Group buy on a titanium kit?

Chinese bits and spanners damage fasteners, are available for $1 and not worth that much. The wrenches are polished by child slave labor and the kids are fed only meager servings of tofu once every 12 hours. Snap-on on ratchet head is dam nice but we use 1/4" drive the most. Instead prefer to carry good breake/Tr bars and cheap modular ratchet drivers on the road. Anybody know if forged AL t-bars are available? Would be interested in Snap-On wrenches but only the Harley Davidson© branded ones (smile).

Best Snap-on product:
has (had) a really strong hex bit set and single mating socket driver. Saves on carrying the individual he/torxx bits set in their own heavy sockets. However, you only need the higher strength in the larger bit sizes. Small fasteners not so much. I have only seen the compact Snap-On hex bit set once. Would buy it in a heartbeat because it saves much weight by eliminating individual socket drive bases yet still capable of very high torque. Otherwise just use Vermont American or other high grade bits and carry the lager size bits set in the 3/8" dive sockets. Rectangular rubber bit blocks keep the bits organized.

edit for link: JurgenB said: "I happen to prefer the Made in Germany stuff (Hazet brand)."
+ 10: Hazet wrenches are light, thin and strong and just the right length as any airhead rider knows. They are the one thing that I would buy at the BMW dealer if I could not find elsewhere. Check fleabay and bone yards. OEM on older Mercedes too.

vintagerider screwed with this post 06-22-2010 at 03:47 PM
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #21
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,052
I have a set and it's helped with another persons bike breakdown while in Death Valley at 100 degrees I'll take and break the cheap then replace it with something nicer later. I'd recommend it for someone needing a tool kit!
Pcfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
JurgenB
daily rider

Oddometer: 393
Sorry, can't see myself paying lots of $$$ for cheap (Chinese made???)tools. I happen to prefer the Made in Germany stuff (Hazet brand). Must be a BMW thing.
As far as tool selection goes, Jim von Baden and others have put together lists of everything you need. Got to a specialty tool shop, give them the list and they will gladly fill your order. The first maintenance job you do yourself pays for the tools.
Working with top quality tools makes a huge difference compared to cheap junk. The wrench tolerances are slightly off, which leads to rounded nuts and boltheads, especially when working with hex (Allen) keys. Poor quality tools als break easily, leading to injury when your hand slips off. BTDT.

Just my $0.02
2004 R1150GS ADV parked in Heidelberg
JurgenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #23
lzymtbrdrkr
Beer Snob!

Oddometer: 81
Strap-on, Crapsmen, Proto, SK, all the way baby. Buy American(or German). No cheap chinese stuff for this guy. Use a Strap-on, I mean Snap-on ratchet and you'll never go back.
Quote:
Working with top quality tools makes a huge difference compared to cheap junk. The wrench tolerances are slightly off, which leads to rounded nuts and boltheads, especially when working with hex (Allen) keys. Poor quality tools als break easily, leading to injury when your hand slips off. BTDT.
What he said!
lzymtbrdrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #24
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
You had me until this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider
Would be interested in Snap-On wrenches but only the Harley Davidson branded ones.
Really? :ymca
Old 06-20-2010, 01:14 AM   #25
lzymtbrdrkr
Beer Snob!

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1
You had me until this:

Really? :ymca
lzymtbrdrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #26
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Here is a good reference: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tool_Kit.html

Note that my reference has two levels of kit.
Very nice set up, Jim. How much do you suppose / estimate the kit would cost to set up? I know I could look it up and make my own calculations... but you may have already such information.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #27
Whip
Onward through the fog

Oddometer: 610
I have a set for my 1150 GSA. I think the quality is very good, much better than anything I have ever bought from Harbor Freight. I would not hesitate to buy another set if needed.

Because of the few specialty tools, I think the price is okay.

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #28
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARIAH
Very nice set up, Jim. How much do you suppose / estimate the kit would cost to set up? I know I could look it up and make my own calculations... but you may have already such information.

Thanks!
I'm going to make a lot of people cringe, but most of that set is Harbor Freight, and the whole thing, including tool roll ($22 from Bob's BMW) was just under $75. Keep in mind, at that price, I got a lot more tools than you see in the kit. I keep the extras in my Craftsman toolbox next to my craftsman tools. I take my kit to tech days a lot, and occasionally lose tools there. This helps me feel better about it.

Also, the HF hand tools I have used have never broken or caused an issue. YMMV

Some cost savings can be had in the form of a 13/16" spark plg socket head, which is 22mm, cut off to use for the front axle, and using a simple screwdriver to remove your spark plug wire/coil.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 06-20-2010 at 08:19 AM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #29
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Has anyone posted a thread or complete list of all tools needed for the R1200GS?

Somewhere over on the F800GS section one of the inmates had created a spreadsheet listing all the tools / bits needed. Can't seem to find it here in Oilheads.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #30
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStar
Has anyone posted a thread or complete list of all tools needed for the R1200GS?

Somewhere over on the F800GS section one of the inmates had created a spreadsheet listing all the tools / bits needed. Can't seem to find it here in Oilheads.

RobStar
I posted this earlier: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tool_Kit.html

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote