Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA
Would the fuel system cleaner be good for cars too?
yep, and many auto manufactures reccomend and sell techron concentrate in their own relabeled packages.

I can't find it now, but there was a news article somewhere about Ford suing the EPA to get them to start enforcing fuel additive, alcohol and water content requirements. If someone finds that or any other articles about fuel that does not meet legal requirements, please post links :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #17
prittner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Update....

I got my new tank installed Wed. the shop plugged my bike into the computer.

I had 8 intermittent faults on an O2 sensor, they swapped it out for a new one that fixed that.

My rough idle problem however is still an issue, I have also found a place in the throttle range, open just above idle that if held in this position the bike
will run so rough that it will die.

Past this spot the motor picks up and is fine.

I'm now wondering if the low rough idle and this "Rough Spot" are related since they are so close in the throttle travel.

Any thoughts?

Rob
prittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #18
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by prittner
Update....

I got my new tank installed Wed. the shop plugged my bike into the computer.

I had 8 intermittent faults on an O2 sensor, they swapped it out for a new one that fixed that.

My rough idle problem however is still an issue, I have also found a place in the throttle range, open just above idle that if held in this position the bike
will run so rough that it will die.

Past this spot the motor picks up and is fine.

I'm now wondering if the low rough idle and this "Rough Spot" are related since they are so close in the throttle travel.

Any thoughts?

Rob
O2 sensor codes are the most worthless codes a bmw can generate, except for perhaps low voltage codes.

Problem with O2 sensor codes is the computer will interpret a correctly functioning O2 sensor that is giving unusual readings DUE to something in the fuel injection or ignition system being broken, as a bad O2 sensor.

If you are talking about the bike running rough and almost dyeing if you twist the throttle just a billionth of a degree open from idle, pretty much all fuel injected bikes will do that but it is such a tiny amount above idle that not many people ever notice it. This is an ambiguous description on my part, I'd have to feel it to see if it is worse on your bike.

My guess remains you have a plugging or sticking fuel injector.

Have you tried Techron concentrate fuel system cleaner yet? 1 oz per gallon of fuel.

If your feeling ambitious, pull the plastic, battery and air box, then remove your spark plugs. If one is significantly darker then the other, there is almost no question that you have a plugging or sticking fuel injector.

If so, take pictures and show them to your dealer along with your suspicion. Have them file a puma and they will most likely be instructed to replace your injectors.

Next most likely is a failing fuel pump.

I have never seen fuel pump electronics cause these symptoms.

The fuel pressure regulator, sensor, crank sensor, or an ignition coil could also do this but these are incredibly rare. The BMS-K could do this but it's rare as well.

P.S. are your battery terminals tight? This can cause every symptom under the sun as well as destroy the BMS-k and every other computer in the bike. the way to check is to try and wiggle the battery leads with firm thumg pressure, if they turn the terminals were loose.

Good luck
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #19
prittner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Joel

Thanks for the info, I have run 4 tank fulls treated with techron through the bike.

Your description of the throttle position where this is happening is right on!

I may have the shop check the plugs at my 6000 mi check.

Battery terminals are tight I checked them before they went into the shop.

Thanks again!

Rob
prittner is offline   Reply With Quote