User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Nictrolis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
F800GS Outdoor Cover

Anybody have a good cover for their F800GS? Waterproof, etc? I'm looking to pick one up, and hoping there's something cheaper than the $110 BMW job. Brand and size? Thanks!!
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 815
Dowco makes good covers: http://www.dowco-inc.com/

Nelson-Rigg aren't bad, either: http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/BikeCovers.aspx

Depending on your weather, your bike can still rust under a cover if it doesn't get enough ventilation.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Nictrolis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I'm in the process of building a garage, I just need a temp place. I figured I'd rather ride an extra month or two than have a completely spotless bike. ;-)

Is it difficult to get a cover that fits right, because of the height? or do you just get an XXL or something?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Nictrolis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Durr, they have a search. Looks like it won't cover the rear wheel, though? Eh... maybe it's not a big deal if I'm just going to have it in there for a couple months... $100 is more than I was hoping, though. Guess I'll just go with the BMW that covers the wheel for a little more $$...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Farmholio
Wobbling weeble

Oddometer: 118
Champion cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictrolis
Anybody have a good cover for their F800GS? Waterproof, etc? I'm looking to pick one up, and hoping there's something cheaper than the $110 BMW job. Brand and size? Thanks!!
Thought I had gotten this from Motorcycle superstore but I just checked and it was missing from the list of what they have. Looks like they have their own website though if you're inclined to check it out. The one I got was something like 60 bucks and came with a cable and lock. The XL is big enough to fit totally over the bike even with the Happy Trails stuck on the sides. I've got a garage but have used it on longer trips and it seems to work well and be reasonably well ventilated. I've covered the bike in the pouring rain and its been more or less dry the following day. There's two vent holes near the handlebar ends. The downside is that it is quite bulky to stow but I think that's the sacrifice to have a little more substantial of a cover.
Farmholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
RamblerTim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I got the motorcycle cover from O'Reilly auto parts & it works great. I think it is an XL or XXL, it was the only size they had there. It was $30, has a lifetime warranty, & is water resistant.

If you don't have an O'Reilly in your area all the other auto stores should have one: auto zone, walmart, etc
RamblerTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
I got one at Wally World for something like $20. Its nothing fancy but it does the job and at that cost I dont get all chaffed when it gets ripped after being in the sun for several months.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I just ordered a cover from Geza for when the bike is out overnight camping. After the last trip to Kernville I decided a little protection might be a good idea.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,862
This cover fits my bike perfectly. Size large I believe.

A puddle will sometimes form on the seat and then water will seep through.

Other than that I'm happy with it. The older version had plastic vents that would dry and crack in the extreme sun down here, but the new ones are cloth.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=347

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is online now   Reply With Quote