Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #36391
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter
I heard "we're gonna get our nails done" and started grabbing equipment.

I know exactly what you mean.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #36392
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsdrz
Onece I unscrew the choke housing, should it just pull out of the carb. ??. I think it might be hung, but this bike is new to me coming from a DRZ which has the choke where it should be, lol

Thanks, Todd
Once it is unscrewed it should come out no problem by pulling on the cable.

Bottom is the stock DR650 item,cable removed of course. (TM40 on top. )

Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #36393
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlocks
Wizard, I had read that the odyessy was smaller than the original so it had to be shimmed to fit in the space. Also the + and - terminals were oriented opposite from the stock battery. This would lead to getting a new battery cable (s). I have also installed a Eastern Beaver 3 circuit fuse/relay assembly and spent some time getting the cables routed just right. Was my information correct? Were you able to use your original battery cables?

Another reason I would like to get a AGM type battery is I believe it is non-hazardous (maybe the wrong term) for shipping purposes,
this pic was taken right after installation (last year). I have some other wiring going on now to feed my GPS & cell phone charger.

I cut two pieces of copper (made washers) to make the termanals a slight more robust. Other than that It uses the same cables and fits fairly snug.
I also run a KOSO voltmeter, shows "joy" all the time

SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #36394
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
I see other guys feel differently, but this was my experience:

My '07 is bone stock. Here in MN the elevation is less than 1000 ft and the bike has the telltale off-idle flat spot and surging everybody complains about. After reading about the travails others had after dinking around with the jets and airbox, I decided to ignore it and just ride the sucker.

Last week a buddy and I trailered our DR's out to the CDT trail and at times were over 10,000 ft. The bikes ran much better than at home, with no signs of the lean running behavior we usually got back home.

Further, a few years ago I had a DRZ400 that was re-jetted to run better here. When I took it to the mountains of MX the engine stumbled at 7,000 feet and ran like crap above 8,000 feet. Gas mileage was in the 30's.

I know a lot less about carbs than others who post in this thread, but the above was my experience. YMMV--yadda, yadda, yadda,--you know the drill.

BTW, I put new D606's on the bike. I like them.

I used an old, matted Alaska Sheepskin on the stock seat, and it worked well for our 150 mile days. I started with an Airhawk, but decided it wasn't necessary for the short day rides we took. The Airhawk is great for long days, but it's kinda awkard if you have to move around and stand on the pegs a lot.
My DR started running noticeably better with 14,000 miles on it,now will pull the front end up in the first couple gears and starts and goes quicker. I live at 100 ft elevation and ride at anywhere from 8/9,000 ft to anywhere in between for any given ride. Stock jetting seems fine,Ive never touched the carb for anything. Its no race bike and will run a long time as is. Ive got a Corbin on mine,best Corbin Ive tried but they take a couple thousand miles to break in. Wide for dirt riding but I just got used to it. When I get on my DRZe it feels like a toy after riding the DR.
The 606's do hook up nicely. The DR is a tank but a loveable tank.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #36395
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
Oil Consumption

Just finished a 4K trip from AZ to WY and back. My 98 DR650 used about 1 quart of oil. Is this normal? I added 1/2 quart at about 2100 miles and when I got home it was about 1/2 low but didn't add oil but drained the old and put in new with filter. Had a bit of a battery problem as well but tightened the positive terminal screw for the fix. Soooo is this normal oil consumption?
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #36396
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul
Just finished a 4K trip from AZ to WY and back. My 98 DR650 used about 1 quart of oil. Is this normal? I added 1/2 quart at about 2100 miles and when I got home it was about 1/2 low but didn't add oil but drained the old and put in new with filter. Had a bit of a battery problem as well but tightened the positive terminal screw for the fix. Soooo is this normal oil consumption?
Depends on how you were riding it. If the trip was a lot of highway miles going 75 mph that doesn't sound excessive. Is it normal? I don't know, I haven't rode mine that far on a trip. Mine doesn't use enough to ever need topped off between oil changes. I change the oil every 2000 miles or less. But I ride mostly dirt. Mine has 20,600 miles on it. The high rpm's zinging down the highway make thumpers use more oil.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #36397
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul

From all I've read, the DR engine typically doesn't lose ANY oil, so your loss might not be "normal". OTOH, 4,000 miles is way past the typical oil change interval, so most wouldn't see that situation anyway.

So, if it's running right, isn't blowing clouds of smoke or fouling the plugs or marking it's territory... I'd say ride the thing. My 2 cents.
Krusty ... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #36398
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

oil use

the 4000 was mostly paved roads unfortunately, 9 days straight rain will do that to you. It was valvoline 10w40 full synthetic so I was comfortable with that long of an oil change. There was a little oil smudges by the spark plugs and where the breather is in the air box. So I'm thinking its normal.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #36399
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

choke

Advice for the hand choke. Drill two small holes in the knob and wire some sort of loop into it so you can reach in and get ahold of the sucker. Some sort of push pull loop. Its bee pictured on hear. It saves having to fumble around tryin to find the knob.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #36400
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlocks
I have a Battery Tender Plus charger. Would this be considered a smart charger.

I have seen iridium plugs advertised but never knew if it was just hype. I feel more comfortable getting them when someone knowledgeable has recommended them. I will give them a try. Should I get a third as a spare or can I use one of my existing plugs for a spare? Thanks.
yea, Battery Tender is a good one. I suggested it to use on your OLD battery to keep it healthy, not to carry with you on your trip. The new battery will mean no worries at all.

Iridiums are the real deal. They work and last about 3 times longer than conventional plug, give a hotter spark and slightly better MPG.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 AM   #36401
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglerot
I need help. I need a fork dust seal for my DR650, and I need it by next weekend. Does anyone have one that they would sell me and overnight it to me on Monday?
i do. but its sunday now
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:45 AM   #36402
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

my speedometer went berserk. whathappen?

did a 270 miler yesterday in near 100 degree heat. halfway, my speedo suddenly went non-linear on me... bouncing like crazy, pegging out at max.
did I strip a gear or something in there? I did all I could except R&R it at roadside but nothing helped. the gear housing down at the wheel looked fine, had no heat buildup - same on the other end - everything tight & normal looking.
the only thing I changed was that I reset the tripmeter at fillup [44mpg for me running 75 on the freeway most time].

????
shop time this aft.

anyone have a stock pilot jet they want to send me?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:48 AM   #36403
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

oil viscosity in summer

i'm wondering about this: summer air temps here get above 100 often. it would seem that lighter/thinner oil, rather than the reverse, would afford better cooling in summer. my motor has 6500 on it now so its broken in pretty well.
anyone seen stats on this issue?

running fast [70 to 80mph corrected] the oil cooler gets hot enough to be quite uncomfortable on my booted right leg.

??
Old 06-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #36404
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,242
oil could be hot from lean jetting
hot oil is OK, i would not go light in hot temps.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #36405
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
did a 270 miler yesterday in near 100 degree heat. halfway, my speedo suddenly went non-linear on me... bouncing like crazy, pegging out at max.
did I strip a gear or something in there? I did all I could except R&R it at roadside but nothing helped. the gear housing down at the wheel looked fine, had no heat buildup - same on the other end - everything tight & normal looking.
the only thing I changed was that I reset the tripmeter at fillup [44mpg for me running 75 on the freeway most time].

????
shop time this aft.

anyone have a stock pilot jet they want to send me?
I can't speak with absolute, irrefutable certainty for the DR but on a Gold Wing that behavior is one or more of several things that result from normal wear and tear and/or a lack of lubrication:

1. The plastic speedo drive gear at the axle has failed, or
2. The cable proper has kinked and is about to snap.

On the way back from a week long trip about six years ago my Wing did the same thing. I replaced the gear and inner cable.

After that I added two things to my list of "bi-annual" chores.

First, I would lube the drive gear at the hub with a dab of lithium grease.

While I had it apart I would extract the inner cable from the sheathing and wipe it off, an then lay it out on a piece of clean cardboard. (There's always an empty box laying around to tear apart when you have kids and grand kids, you know).

With the cable laid out at one of the folds in the flattened box I would spray a shot of lithium grease the entire length of it, "roll it" a couple of times, and then run it back up into the sheathing and reaffix everything at the hub.

Like I said, I can't say for sure that is the issue with your DR, but it's worth a look.

basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote