Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #36376
Artlocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?
Artlocks, When are you coming back to ride in the Philippines.

Where is this ride?

Have a good trip.
JP, my upcoming ride is only half baked. I am the procrastinator from hell. I think I am going to ship my bike to las vegas and go from there. It will be smokin hot! I will head east, maybe do the grand canyon then up to utah, moab maybe. Back down thru new mexico. hit the pavement when it is near time to come back. I am looking for help from inmates on this so I will have a lot of threads going. Then go right to the operating table on sept 15 and have my hip replaced!

Definitely going back to the phils to ride but it may be 2012. I would think about this december but don't know how the hip will be.
Artlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #36377
Artlocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
How "off-road" is off-road?

If it's fire roads etc then a set of Shinko 705's would be sweet.
I am not sure how off road it will be. I am still putting it together. If I find someone local who would be willing to ride with me for a section, I would try most anything. Otherwise I will stay within my abilities.

I will look at the shinko's. I am not familiar with them. thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #36378
Artlocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter

Before a long trip I always go with a new battery. I've had great luck with the MF Sealed battery Suzuki dealers sell. It's a Futaba, mine was $60, IIRC. Perfect. Save your old one for a back up, keep on smart charger. Make sure to install the Acid correctly and charge at correct amps for correct time. Initial charge is important. Follow directions.

Only other thing I like is Iridium Plugs. Better MPG, smoother running, better starting. And they last and last. Touch of anti-seize on threads. Don't let crap into spark plug hole when changing.
I have a Battery Tender Plus charger. Would this be considered a smart charger.

I have seen iridium plugs advertised but never knew if it was just hype. I feel more comfortable getting them when someone knowledgeable has recommended them. I will give them a try. Should I get a third as a spare or can I use one of my existing plugs for a spare? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #36379
Artlocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph64
Tyres are personal preference. 606 is a nice tyre to have off road, but maybe it will not go that distance. If it does it will be very thin. TKC is good choice. Also GP-1 clones. I like Mefo Explorer for mixed riding.

EDIT: I agree with earlier comment by Adv Grifter on tubes. I add that rim locks are a good idea for the off road sections. I balance wheels for rim locks and add balance beads to tubes including spares. Air compressor minimises inconvenience of frequent pressure changes but all things electric fail at a bad time. Manual pump is dependable so I add this first.

Yuasa is good quality battery that does no more or less than required and lasts. I ride with these batteries all over North Africa and Central Asia. No problems.

If the bike idle and transition is good I think carb is okay but maybe check pilot/idle circuit is spotless. I think good quality in-line fuel filter (remove fuel intake screen) is needed to keep it that way. If you have any doubts pay a good Suzuki mechanic to look at it before you leave.
Actually I have Mefo Explorers on the bike now. I have done some knarly stuff on them but they were a little too slippery for me. I believe they are 70/30 street/dirt tires. So I take it 606s may be a better dirt tire than the TKC80s, but the 80s will last longer?
I am going to look at the shinko 705 too.

Would my mountain bike pump work ok for a manual pump? I guess I could try it when I get the new tires.

The bike does idle too high, but I think it is a cable issue since I put on heated grips and changed out the throttle tube. I don't think it idled too high before.

Did you use the DR650 when you did N Africa? I am thinking of shipping mine to South Africa next summer for a couple of months. Maybe the riding in Namibia will be similar to N Africa.
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #36380
Artlocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWizard
my $.2 on the Odyessy 310

it's an easy swap, pay attention to the termanals and do not over tighten if you choose to get one.

It was the first thing I put on my dr. (#2 seat) I bought the bike used and it had sat for 3 yrs. after tossing off her PO after his first 300 mi.

I just put on a set of MEFO's so far so good

(I just returned from the 24hrs. LeMans ~crew~)

tom
Wizard, I had read that the odyessy was smaller than the original so it had to be shimmed to fit in the space. Also the + and - terminals were oriented opposite from the stock battery. This would lead to getting a new battery cable (s). I have also installed a Eastern Beaver 3 circuit fuse/relay assembly and spent some time getting the cables routed just right. Was my information correct? Were you able to use your original battery cables?

Another reason I would like to get a AGM type battery is I believe it is non-hazardous (maybe the wrong term) for shipping purposes,
Old 06-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #36381
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,188
Artlocks, Sounds like a good trip. If you go at it like your trip to the PI, I know it will go well.

Good luck with the hip, I had a knee replaced over 10 years ago, been great since. Do everything they tell you to do to make the most of it.

Look us up when you are coming this way again.
YnotJP? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #36382
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
Suspension Upgrade test ride

I finally finished up the DR650 suspension upgrades and have been trying to fit a test ride into the schedule. I heard "we're gonna get our nails done" and started grabbing equipment.

The upgrades made a huge difference in the feel of the bike. It just felt more "planted" the entire time. It was very noticeable during cornering on the road. Sometimes I would get a "wallowing" feel from the rear and always thought it was the tire going away. No more. I intentionally rode it into potholes on the dirt and it soaked 'em up without bottoming or losing control. The suspension is, of course, much stiffer as heavier springs went in front and rear. The valving thru emulators and the Gold Valve really made a difference.

Can't wait to do some even more challenging terrain. Fun stuff.

Just a short 11 miles from the house to Thousand Trails and then up Otay Mtn for the usual views.

Where I'm headed....

Looking back at the road up.

Got a little "rattling" warning when I stopped for this photo looking North. Didn't see anything though.

The road ahead.

Turned right at Doghouse Junction and rode a short distance down the road to the border.

The fog had blown in and hadn't burned off yet. Looking East.

Always wanted to make a pit stop at This Place so I headed down Otay Lakes Rd and got there 10 minute before the divers came in.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #36383
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter
I heard "we're gonna get our nails done" and started grabbing equipment.

I know exactly what you mean.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #36384
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsdrz
Onece I unscrew the choke housing, should it just pull out of the carb. ??. I think it might be hung, but this bike is new to me coming from a DRZ which has the choke where it should be, lol

Thanks, Todd
Once it is unscrewed it should come out no problem by pulling on the cable.

Bottom is the stock DR650 item,cable removed of course. (TM40 on top. )

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #36385
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlocks
Wizard, I had read that the odyessy was smaller than the original so it had to be shimmed to fit in the space. Also the + and - terminals were oriented opposite from the stock battery. This would lead to getting a new battery cable (s). I have also installed a Eastern Beaver 3 circuit fuse/relay assembly and spent some time getting the cables routed just right. Was my information correct? Were you able to use your original battery cables?

Another reason I would like to get a AGM type battery is I believe it is non-hazardous (maybe the wrong term) for shipping purposes,
this pic was taken right after installation (last year). I have some other wiring going on now to feed my GPS & cell phone charger.

I cut two pieces of copper (made washers) to make the termanals a slight more robust. Other than that It uses the same cables and fits fairly snug.
I also run a KOSO voltmeter, shows "joy" all the time

SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #36386
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
I see other guys feel differently, but this was my experience:

My '07 is bone stock. Here in MN the elevation is less than 1000 ft and the bike has the telltale off-idle flat spot and surging everybody complains about. After reading about the travails others had after dinking around with the jets and airbox, I decided to ignore it and just ride the sucker.

Last week a buddy and I trailered our DR's out to the CDT trail and at times were over 10,000 ft. The bikes ran much better than at home, with no signs of the lean running behavior we usually got back home.

Further, a few years ago I had a DRZ400 that was re-jetted to run better here. When I took it to the mountains of MX the engine stumbled at 7,000 feet and ran like crap above 8,000 feet. Gas mileage was in the 30's.

I know a lot less about carbs than others who post in this thread, but the above was my experience. YMMV--yadda, yadda, yadda,--you know the drill.

BTW, I put new D606's on the bike. I like them.

I used an old, matted Alaska Sheepskin on the stock seat, and it worked well for our 150 mile days. I started with an Airhawk, but decided it wasn't necessary for the short day rides we took. The Airhawk is great for long days, but it's kinda awkard if you have to move around and stand on the pegs a lot.
My DR started running noticeably better with 14,000 miles on it,now will pull the front end up in the first couple gears and starts and goes quicker. I live at 100 ft elevation and ride at anywhere from 8/9,000 ft to anywhere in between for any given ride. Stock jetting seems fine,Ive never touched the carb for anything. Its no race bike and will run a long time as is. Ive got a Corbin on mine,best Corbin Ive tried but they take a couple thousand miles to break in. Wide for dirt riding but I just got used to it. When I get on my DRZe it feels like a toy after riding the DR.
The 606's do hook up nicely. The DR is a tank but a loveable tank.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #36387
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
Oil Consumption

Just finished a 4K trip from AZ to WY and back. My 98 DR650 used about 1 quart of oil. Is this normal? I added 1/2 quart at about 2100 miles and when I got home it was about 1/2 low but didn't add oil but drained the old and put in new with filter. Had a bit of a battery problem as well but tightened the positive terminal screw for the fix. Soooo is this normal oil consumption?
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #36388
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul
Just finished a 4K trip from AZ to WY and back. My 98 DR650 used about 1 quart of oil. Is this normal? I added 1/2 quart at about 2100 miles and when I got home it was about 1/2 low but didn't add oil but drained the old and put in new with filter. Had a bit of a battery problem as well but tightened the positive terminal screw for the fix. Soooo is this normal oil consumption?
Depends on how you were riding it. If the trip was a lot of highway miles going 75 mph that doesn't sound excessive. Is it normal? I don't know, I haven't rode mine that far on a trip. Mine doesn't use enough to ever need topped off between oil changes. I change the oil every 2000 miles or less. But I ride mostly dirt. Mine has 20,600 miles on it. The high rpm's zinging down the highway make thumpers use more oil.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #36389
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul

From all I've read, the DR engine typically doesn't lose ANY oil, so your loss might not be "normal". OTOH, 4,000 miles is way past the typical oil change interval, so most wouldn't see that situation anyway.

So, if it's running right, isn't blowing clouds of smoke or fouling the plugs or marking it's territory... I'd say ride the thing. My 2 cents.
Krusty ... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #36390
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
oil use

the 4000 was mostly paved roads unfortunately, 9 days straight rain will do that to you. It was valvoline 10w40 full synthetic so I was comfortable with that long of an oil change. There was a little oil smudges by the spark plugs and where the breather is in the air box. So I'm thinking its normal.
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote