Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #76
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040
In theory, you could simply order the same color bearing, assuming you can still see the color of yours. The easy way out is to install a "blue" bearing and see if the crank fits.

If you have a set of cylinder bore gauges, you can use them and a micrometer to check the clearance.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #77
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,843
The Machine in action.......

Stylin' it!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #78
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040
Great shots!
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #79
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,031
Here's an update on my rear seal leak. Finally got the chance to start doing my rear seal replacement, after many months of delay. I tore it apart today and examined the last seal I installed (last August) and found no defects, though there was wetness around the inner lip. Guide ring shows nice even wear and only .002" undersize from the new item I was planning to install. And then I saw it.... A 1" crack in my engine case from the main rear seal housing at the 5 o'clock position to the oil pump housing. Shit. It seems to have started at one of the oil drain holes (I suspect a stress riser from machining at manufacture was the initial cause) in the rear main seal housing and migrated towards the pump. My guess is that as the block would warm up, the crack would open and full pressure oil would start jetting out of the crack. The hunt starts for a new engine.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #80
pommie john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
....And then I saw it.... A 1" crack in my engine case from the main rear seal housing at the 5 o'clock position to the oil pump housing. ...

Welcome to the club!

Got any photos of the crack?

I found a used engine case at my local independant BMW shop for $150 ( Australian dollars).
pommie john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #81
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,031
Thanks for the welcome! I've been doing the search thing on the net for anything available but nothing is jumping out at me as of yet. The bike will go into storage for the next little while until some plan comes up. Sorry I haven't got any photos but the crack is not as prominent as the one you had. It's because it actually penetrated the oil pump housing that the amount of oil was so noticeable and it probably sprayed onto my clutch assembly which was causing my contamination. Well, this year's riding season is a wash-out and I can say that I am completely turned off the BMW brand. I should have stuck with my old '71 Triumph if I wanted something reliable! Just kidding - I'll probably notch this up to experience , fix it up and keep it until I die.

jackd screwed with this post 06-21-2010 at 05:17 AM
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote