Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #2911
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saso
Is this a procedure that will be done on-the-fly? Probably not. What's a couple of fasteners to undo while packing and prepping the bike for a long tour? Still, it'll probably be a deal killer for some.

That ST12 looks very cool set up with the solo saddle.
Deal killer for some? maybe, but not for me.

However, the pillion deck is lower than the rear luggage rack, it would have been better if it was all the same height, because you now have 2 elevated grab handles on both sides of the pillion deck. I'd just leave the seat on when I strap my big dry bag there.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #2912
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
... the pillion deck is lower than the rear luggage rack, it would have been better if it was all the same height, because you now have 2 elevated grab handles on both sides of the pillion deck. I'd just leave the seat on when I strap my big dry bag there.
Yeah, I noticed that - I think I'd do the same - if Yamaha would give me the chance.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #2913
phatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Additional Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Deal killer for some? maybe, but not for me.

However, the pillion deck is lower than the rear luggage rack, it would have been better if it was all the same height, because you now have 2 elevated grab handles on both sides of the pillion deck. I'd just leave the seat on when I strap my big dry bag there.
Page 3-31 of owners manual available here http://ymenvom.nl/manuals/U23PE0.PDF describes an additional carrier under the pillion seat that appears from the diagram when attached makes a level surface with the rear rack.
phatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #2914
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatt
Page 3-31 of owners manual available here http://ymenvom.nl/manuals/U23PE0.PDF describes an additional carrier under the pillion seat that appears from the diagram when attached makes a level surface with the rear rack.
What i've understood from one of the testers you can lower the aft-carrier, so front seat additional carrier and aft carrier form a uniform platform, but you need to remove the pillion handlebars, makes sense, you will not carry any pillion then...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #2915
horseman474
Outback Albatross

Oddometer: 154
Hi all,
just got the call from Yamaha in Sydney.... A super tenere is in the shop and ready for demo ride tomorrow (saturday)...Bugga. I've got to go to canberra for a rugby comp.. have to wait till Monday for a ride. ...but I'm going to keep a clear head as I really like the looks of the GSA beemers as well (2nd hand mind you as I cant spend that much money on a new bike ).

Horseman
horseman474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #2916
GB
Mod Squad

Horseman, be sure to give your impressions.

There's been some comments about the stock Yamaha screen being lousy.

This is the screen that should do the trick once Givi makes one for the S10:

http://www.givi.co.uk/Screens--spoilers/AIRFLOW/AF330
Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #2917
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
I test rode the S10 in West Aus today...

I have been discussing this bike with my local Yamaha dealer (also personal friend) and we have both been eagerly awaiting its delivery to Perth. Well it came in yesterday and was pd'd this morning just in time for me to throw a leg over it for a 30km ride in three sections.

To back track two weeks ago, I managed to secure a demo 2010 BMW GSA for the weekend and put over 700kms on it before taking it back to the dealer on monday.
I very much enjoyed the weekends riding but was a little put off by the very tall seat (although I am 5'11" with long legs) and the enormous weight specially with the tank filled for a 500km stint.

The Super Tenere exhibits none of that feeling of being a heavy weight...
It has a more comfortable seat, less vibrations, feels like more grunt (although I didnt feed it too much because the bike is not run in).
Ergonomics felt better and more planted on the road under exceleration coming onto the freeway on ramps... One area where the GSA would wobble its head as the front end unloaded.
Ohh, and it feels SHIT-LOADS lighter..

I was so impressed with the S10 that I placed the order as soon as I got back to the bike shop and topped it up with the full house of goodies,, heated grips, front bar, aux lights three luggage boxes and liner bags, headlight cover, tank cover, tank bag, alloy case pan... etc etc.

I wish I could write more but I am not the journo type and for the life of me cannot upload the pics that I took while I was out today.

If you have been waiting for these to arrive (like I have) before choosing between the adventure tourers on offer, you simply must test ride one of these.... I will just about bet that you will choose the Yamaha over the BMW.

P.S - Im getting a bit of a sweet deal from the mate on the S10, but even if I was to compare the normal price of this bike (S10 with all the fruit) compared to the 2010 BMW GSA the price in Perth would be:
Yahama with 3 boxes + heated grips + guards, lights, and pan $AU24,000 taxes paid ride away.
BMW GSA same level of appointment $AU34,000. Go figure..

I dare you to ride both, and buy the Beemer...

Did I mention how much lighter the S10 feels compared to the BMW?

Greg.

P.S - How the Ferk do you post pics???
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #2918
Finskii
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad

But, will it ever make it to the US?
According to the Yamaha US district sales manager.... not for 2010
Finskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #2919
Finskii
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long
Let Yamaha know you want one.

Send Yamaha a message. Let 'em know the North American Market is ready and willing to buy.
If enough interest is generated, maybe they'll take the gamble.

Yamaha may be contacted at:

Henio Arcangeli Jr.
President, Yamaha Motorsports USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Customer relations:
Yamaha U.S.A.
1-800-962-7926

XT1200Z with all the bells & whistles
Maybe. Big maybe. Maybe as in indistinguishable from zero.

When I worked for a distributor, they did not put much into unsolicited letters from riders, and we did receive a lot of them. They, Yamaha marketing, did listen a little to the demands of dealers through their district manager network, but only a little. The district managers tended to give conflicting inputs since they were regionally oriented (in the south they wanted more chrome and that sort of thing). Yamaha tended to be a market follower, waiting for another manufacturer to introduce a bold concept and then two years later, Yamaha would maybe provide a comparable offering if the new concept had been a market success. So don't expect Yamaha Motors US to respond to just 10,000 enthusiast letters saying "I want one." Word has it that dual-sport bikes are not on the radar for North America because.... the market is so small. Rabid, but small. And the market for all bikes is down right now so the possibility of market risks by Yamaha US is ... don't bet on it.

Finskii screwed with this post 10-22-2010 at 06:45 PM
Finskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #2920
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
II dare you to ride both, and buy the Beemer...

Greg.

Lucky you! Thanks for the review..

That does it.. I'm ready to buy without a test ride and that would be the first bike I ever buy without a test ride, if it comes to that. Waiting for an official announcement in Sept. from Yamaha Canada.. they'd better be bringing this bike here next year.

To post pics, look here:

Attachments don't work, you need to host your pics on a pic hosting site and then link them to your report.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...66&postcount=1

Congrats on your purchase

When you get the bike, please post pics here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592384
Old 06-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #2921
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finskii
Word has it that dual-sport bikes are not on the radar for North America because.... the market is so small. Rabid, but small.
Really enjoyed your viewpoint, well written !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #2922
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finskii
Yamaha tended to be a market follower, waiting for another manufacturer to introduce a bold concept
Thats B...

XS650 XT500 XV750 SRX600 XTZ750 TDM850 FZ750 V-Max R-1 MT-01 just to name a few of the radical starters of complete new breeds of motorcycles...

Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #2923
wagsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
I have been discussing this bike with my local Yamaha dealer (also personal friend) and we have both been eagerly awaiting its delivery to Perth. Well it came in yesterday and was pd'd this morning just in time for me to throw a leg over it for a 30km ride in three sections.

To back track two weeks ago, I managed to secure a demo 2010 BMW GSA for the weekend and put over 700kms on it before taking it back to the dealer on monday.
I very much enjoyed the weekends riding but was a little put off by the very tall seat (although I am 5'11" with long legs) and the enormous weight specially with the tank filled for a 500km stint.

The Super Tenere exhibits none of that feeling of being a heavy weight...
It has a more comfortable seat, less vibrations, feels like more grunt (although I didnt feed it too much because the bike is not run in).
Ergonomics felt better and more planted on the road under exceleration coming onto the freeway on ramps... One area where the GSA would wobble its head as the front end unloaded.
Ohh, and it feels SHIT-LOADS lighter..

I was so impressed with the S10 that I placed the order as soon as I got back to the bike shop and topped it up with the full house of goodies,, heated grips, front bar, aux lights three luggage boxes and liner bags, headlight cover, tank cover, tank bag, alloy case pan... etc etc.

I wish I could write more but I am not the journo type and for the life of me cannot upload the pics that I took while I was out today.

If you have been waiting for these to arrive (like I have) before choosing between the adventure tourers on offer, you simply must test ride one of these.... I will just about bet that you will choose the Yamaha over the BMW.

P.S - Im getting a bit of a sweet deal from the mate on the S10, but even if I was to compare the normal price of this bike (S10 with all the fruit) compared to the 2010 BMW GSA the price in Perth would be:
Yahama with 3 boxes + heated grips + guards, lights, and pan $AU24,000 taxes paid ride away.
BMW GSA same level of appointment $AU34,000. Go figure..

I dare you to ride both, and buy the Beemer...

Greg.

Thats great to hear.
Wonder how much of a trade in I would get for my Vee Strom 1000
wagsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #2924
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Thats B...

XS650 XT500 XV750 SRX600 XTZ750 TDM850 FZ750 V-Max R-1 MT-01 just to name a few of the radical starters of complete new breeds of motorcycles...
These "who copied who" discussions are generally silly and tiring, but I do have to note that the very first motorcycle you list above (the XS650) was essentially a OHC clone of the Triumph 650 Bonneville.

However, I agree with your basic premise - I do think of Yamaha as one of the more innovative mfgs, especially for the Japanese. It took some guts for them to bring to market bikes like the SRX600, XZ550 (Vision), GTS1000, TDM850, and XV920. They also got their ass handed to them on most of these bikes, which is a big reason they're so gun-shy these days.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #2925
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
These "who copied who" discussions are generally silly and tiring, but I do have to note that the very first motorcycle you list above (the XS650) was essentially a OHC clone of the Triumph 650 Bonneville.
Nope they took a BSA, sorry, first check the facts.
A motor concept is nevver new, in the first years every concept was checked, BMW said the lying flat four was their invention, but well, there was en flat four long before there was BMW flat twins...

ut that was not my point, my point is Yamaha *started* meny a trend, especially the Custom trend with the XS650SE and the first V-Twin Custom XV750, The XT was essentially also a late copy of a BSA, but look what it started !

And now we have the Super Tenere, a back to the essence Travelbike, not a sportbike in offroad travesty, but a real longdistance runaway.

I can't wait to parc it next to al his family here in Mheer :-)

Its Granddad the '76 500

My misses Mr.Bean machine.

And Syl's Flying Flat

Even the Dull Greay ghost looks nice when accustomed to it:

There will be a lot of ex-racers verry disapointed with the Tenere, because it aint no crossdressing hypermotard, but people who want to ride like a king where ever there is or isn't a road until the sunset, the Tenere will be the King of the Hill and al other mountains all around the world.

Riding 10 or 12 hours a day for weeks on end, who wants to leave that sumptious saddle, who can turn the switch when the motor is purring like a cheshire cat to go through a new lookingglass ?

Turkey here we come :-)

R3B screwed with this post 06-26-2010 at 01:00 PM