Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #2971
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
1) So what happened to.. "apply the rear brake first"?
2) He looks like he knows how to handle a bike off road. What's the rest of it about? Review or just informational?
Cheers
Graham

It is informational and a review.

video1:

He likes the stabbility and precision and specially how easy it is to change direction and the front stabbility.
The guy is really impressed with the front of the bike. For him the best on the big-enduro class. Both rear and front suspension very good, + the fork really great. "The fork is allways precise, comfortable, stable and very, very reactive when riding hard". "It never looses his line, is precise and coherent".
The bike allows very good lean angles and feels very good doing them with nice suspension and a solid frame.

The brakes are also impressive, with the abs processing many data. For example, ABS does not work allways the same, it reads the speed of the bike (not only the wheels) and acts accordingly moddulating the braking (that's how I undestand it: if you are at 40kmh or 120kmh)
He likes braking both on and off road, but specially in wet condition.

Engine is very sweet. It doesn't care if you're on 3rd, 4th or 5th gear.

video2:

Explanation of the TCS modes.
TCS is not too much intrussive. It allows enough play to control the bike.

The position standing is perfect. Ideal to ride fast off road. Can be guided with the knees and it follows trajectories nice.
Explanation of ABS trick.

OK, that's the translation from somebody that doesn´t speeks very good italian nor english .
Old 07-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #2972
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom
I can't think of a time I'd want to deliberately lock the front wheel in the dirt
In Soft sand or loose rubble, blocking your front wheel lttle by little is the most effective way to stop, you then push the stuff infront of your wheel, effectively making a little wall of dirt you push in front of you, you need a big hart though ;-)
In compact snow its the only way to stop, ABS will act very fast so with ABS you actually won't loose traction, but won't stop either...

Oh and thanks to the nice Spaniard who translated the vid from motoblog.it, the road exerience correlates nice to mine, it gives instant "homelyness" so you ride effortlessly a bit quicker than sensible ;-0

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #2973
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Thanks Vander.

So for people who know what they are doing off road and want more than a 'pub crawl' on sealed back roads the S10 a good thing.

Cool

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #2974
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olirider
Tomorrow is the day when I'll be picking up my new blue beast.!

I've taken the afternoon off to get the bank check, to insure the beast and then to ride !
I will not get yet the heated grips but it is now more then 30 °C in the Paris area...
I was supposed to pick mine up yesterday but the dealer could not register it through licensing in Western Australia as they (W.A licensing) did not have classification/code numbers for this particular bike..

1st one licensed in Western Australia and they say only the 3rd or 4th licensed in Australia.
Classification number came through yesterday arvo so picking up today.

Dealer tells me that the heated hand grips are on back order and may not arrive for a couple of months, perfect... Just in time for the coming Australian summer.

Ye har
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #2975
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

I think I'm starting to get jealous of you lot..

M U S T
R E S I S T
T E S T
R I D E!!!

Cheers
Old 07-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #2976
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
Has anyone verified the ST lines are actually only rubber? Many bikes nowadays that look like they have rubber lines actually have braided internals.

Rubber lines are braided, yes, but braiding is just to keep the wear on the teflon innards low, braiding doesn't do much to keep the pressure constant, braiding just thickens and shortens to accomodate increased pressure, take the brakelines of the S10 between your fingers and operate the handle hard, you can actually feel and *see* the line bulging a little bit, and that are *new* lines :-)

The older the rubber gets and the braiding threads loosen a little from the surrounding rubber, the more flex you get, and quite a bit of the power you put in the handle isn't going to the lower pistons, but is translated into heat in the rubber versus braiding cords, just like a tire heats up under deformation.
Allthough in brake lines it's only a tiny bit of heat though, but you lose power/energy/feel quite a lot with sleazy rubber condoms...

Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #2977
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
I was supposed to pick mine up yesterday but the dealer could not register it through licensing in Western Australia as they (W.A licensing) did not have classification/code numbers for this particular bike..

1st one licensed in Western Australia and they say only the 3rd or 4th licensed in Australia.

Dealer tells me that the heated hand grips are on back order and may not arrive for a couple of months, perfect... Just in time for the coming Australian summer.

Ye har
Apparently mine was the 1st registered in Queensland as QLD Transport had to upload the model before registering it so i hope you get yours today.

I did read here somewhere that they thought they were hard to Wheelie but i found you need the traction control off and they come up and stay up easily woo hoo.

with trac on it either senses the difference in wheel speed to rear wheel slip.

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #2978
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp

Ye har
Some of the back ordered stuff is arriving next week as i have ordered the tank pad (in stock) and the alloy bash plate (Next Week)

Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #2979
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Originally Posted by Lion BR
And I agree with the previous poster: the S10 will really need to be a serious contender to break into the GS territory because, if it will be sold at the same price as the GS, most people will still go to the GS and not to the S10..
That depends on what part of the world you're in.

A fully optioned GS 1200 is $34,000.00 for me if I'm stupid enough to part with that much cash for a motorcycle.

The Super Tenere is looking like it will be around 10k less. Thats a lot of accessories and fuel.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #2980
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40

A fully optioned GS 1200 is $34,000.00 for me if I'm stupid enough to part with that much cash for a motorcycle.

The Super Tenere is looking like it will be around 10k less. Thats a lot of accessories and fuel.
And savings in parts and dealer charges, BUT you will not get free coffee.

Sucked in

Can't wait for the first final drive problem to appear, it may be 2020 but it's gonna be a fun day when it happens.

Cheers
Graham
Old 07-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #2981
oppymei
Banned

Oddometer: 18
lol
oppymei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #2982
Sp!ke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Seems to me reports on the Riders for Health bikes (6 of them weren't there? Or more maybe) would be a good source of info on how S10 holds up under less than ideal conditions. I imagine their use in Africa will be almost 100% dirt.

Anyone know if that info is coming out? Anyone with contacts at the RFH offices where they are being used? What about you lucky bastards who actually went on the trip????

Trevor
I will see if i can ask the appropriate people and see how the bikes are coping.

I suspect they aren't actually being used in anger yet as Yamaha first have to train the riders to ride the bike (most have never ridden bigger than 175cc). The riders will also need to be workshop trained for these bikes and the others.

The XTz1200 bikes will be used by the mechanics who will be servicing the many other smaller bikes in remote areas. They will be covering much greater distances than the smaller bikes (mostly on surfaced roads) and have to carry heavy tools and spares.

I intend to pop down and see how the bike I handed over is being used in a year or so and have been given an open invite from Riders for Health to do so.

Sp!ke screwed with this post 07-02-2010 at 01:50 AM
Sp!ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #2983
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Seems easy enough in the MotoBlog.it video to disable the rear ABS - which after all is the only wheel you want disabled? I can't think of a time I'd want to deliberately lock the front wheel in the dirt (or any other time), so it's a good thing to keep ABS working there.

Probably some more testing required though to see if this method of disabling the rear has an impact on anything else. And of course it would be nice if someone could work out a way to do it with just a switch!

Trevor
Take a look at:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=583990&page=1
I was wrong, it was "Metal Jockey" and not "Sp!ke" that wrote about the ABS fuse out test.

I have to say it surprised me too. I like ABS and whilst in the Isle of Man a couple of years ago, I was riding the mountain with a mate and we were both with pillions, he on a 750 Honda and me on a Pan Euro. I out braked him on every corner due to the ABS. However, I never took my Pan on the dirt (!) so have never used ABS off road.

I'm gonna have some fun with this new toy though.

One thing I noticed about the difference between the GSA and the S10 was the speed at which the electronics worked. On the GSA I could wheelie very easily but the TCS would cut in after about a second and slam the bike back on the deck very hard. On the S10,it just will not lift with the ABS on.
On looking in the Service Manual it states that there are 96 magnets inside each wheel !
I also read that it has 2 CPUs for working out the throttle situation and it does this every 1/1000 of a second. (Page 1-4)
Yamaha have put some effort into this beast.

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 07-02-2010 at 02:13 AM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 AM   #2984
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40

Our GSA is about US$35k. Yes, it depends on where you are...
Old 07-02-2010, 02:33 AM   #2985
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Can't wait for the first final drive problem to appear, it may be 2020 but it's gonna be a fun day when it happens.
:-)
(the've been refining this porsche patented ofset pinion system since the XS750, and millions of diversions and FJR's are using it, so i think you are being somawhat optimistic, it will be 2424 :-)

And now about pricing:
Das Motorrad has done extensive testing with all available Big Trailies:

Code:
Bike / price	Price 	Weight 
_____________(all incl)_(fueled)
Multistrada	18295	234
R1200GS	17138	246
Stelvio 		16145 	285 
Tenere 		14965 	267 
Adventure 	13745	238
Tiger 		13040 	241 
Varadero 	12260	289
Code:
Bike / weight	Price 	Weight 	0-100 (kg/s)
_____________(all incl)_(fueled)
Varadero 	12260	289 	3,9 (74)
Stelvio 		16145 	285	4,1 (69)
Tenere 		14965 	267 	3,7 (72)
R1200GS	17138	246	3,7 (66)
Tiger 		13040 	241 	3,4 (70)
Adventure 	13745	238	3,8 (62)
Multistrada	18295	234	3,3 (70)
Just some dry facts, about price weight and propulsion per weight ;-)

So anybody stating the Tenere is to expensive or slow, here you go the bare facts of a verry BMW biased magazine...