ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
ob1quixote OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
New DS ride, a "must ride"!!!!!

The Family Riders Motorcycle Club, hosts of the Swamp Fox Enduro and Dual Sport, will be holding a Dual Sport Ride on May 15th, BUT NOT WHERE YOU MIGHT EXPECT IT TO BE!!!!

This ride, the Armenia Dual Sport, which 100% of the proceeds will benefit the Armenia United Methodist Church, will be held in upstate SC, in the Chester area.

No sandy flat whoops here guys, 99%+ BRAND NEW TRAILS!!!
Looking for some challenge??? Make sure to tackle the optional sections!!
Guys, I have ridden the 1% of "old" trail, and I can tell you, its some pretty country, nice elevation changes, and just the right time of year as well! The "old" trail, like the other 99% of new, are on private land, only opened for this event.

A quick overview, AMA membership required, card in hand. 92 db sound check, so leave the "hot dog" pipes at home. Much of the land ridden is of church members and neighbors unfamiliar with off road cycling, and we want to keep them happy, and willing for an 2006 ride!! Be sure to bring your roll chart holder, or ride with someone who has one. You will need it!

Lunch is included with the entry, and breakfast will be available at a great price. Primitive camping Saturday night free, no fires, no pets please!! Special deal for Saturday night campers, contact the trail boss, Marvin Grant, for more details.

Here is a link to the webpage, and there is a link there to download the PDF flyer.

This event is sponsored by Hager Cycle World of Rock Hill SC, Moto Fly of Myrtle Beach SC, and Honda-Kawasaki of Orangeburg, of Orangeburg SC.

http://www.familyriders.net/armenia.htm

Hope to see y'all there, this is one no one should miss, fresh trail.........

Robert
ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
Ultrafirebike
Flaccid Member

Oddometer: 1,081
IBA #14019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckGirl
I'm all about sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
If you don't wear any panties, you can't get em in a wad.
Ultrafirebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrafirebike
very, very close to
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
ob1quixote OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Spam?

Spam?

I thought offering a ride opportunity would be a good thing. That it was a benefit for a church an additional "+". Maybe DSers have too many ride opportunities?

My club has put on the Swamp Fox DS for 13 years, the enduro for 34 years, and this year have added this new ride. I just discovered your forums, thought maybe a ride invitation would be welcomed.

I may be a newbie here, but to to message boards and not to cycling.
Same screen name at ThumperTalk, GeorgiaOffroad, KTM-Talk, etc.

Sorry to have been "very, very close" to bothering you with a riding opportunity.

Robert Wilcox
Secretary, Family Riders Motorcycle Club, Charleston SC, Est 1972
Old 03-19-2005, 02:58 AM   #5
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,485
maybe it was the way you said it, plus the fact it was your first post. people are leery of around here.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:27 AM   #6
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Since is actually an event I would give this one the benefit.

Is the event GS friendly?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:16 AM   #7
ob1quixote OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess I can understand it a bit, but it really is an event, and yu will find that I dont just drop the "ad post" in and disappear, I will monitor it to take care of questions if I can. I think that takes it out of the "spam" category.

As far as GS friendly, I will have to tell you this, we both ride 2 wheels, but I dont know what as GS is!!! In fact, I found out about ADVRider after a fellow on KTM-Talk asked if his KTM 950 adventure bike would make it, and I got curious, and here I am.

So I can say this, while an 80/20 street/dirt shoe'd bike will have plenty of trail to ride, there will be areas that they wont want to go. Marvin Grant, trail boss, will have route sheets {you do need a route sheet holder!} that he will help guide the more street oriented bikes away from the more radical trail.

Marvin is an old hand in trail layout, having been one of the charter members of my club and helped lay out Wambaw Cycle Trails. Marvin is a dual sporter now, since '92, and knows his way around that aspect of the sport {certainly more than I !!!} He also knows the Armenia trail, he laid it out, and some of the roughest territory is on his land. I have ridden that section, we call it "Marvin's cycle Dude Ranch", motto "Bring your bike, leave your pride" Still, he knows what the DSer wants, and will provide it, as well as optional challenge areas.

The more knobs, the better. Dont have many knobs? Call Marvin and he will tell you what you can expect. As far as the optional sections, better have nice knobs!

There will be trail there for everyone, there will be tight areas, steep areas, open areas, gentle areas. Call Marvin for the best advice for your particular situation!

Robert
Old 03-19-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,873
Give Him a chance.

I'll vouch for Ob1quixote, which may or may not help him . He does post on other sites about DS rides in South Carolina. He gave me some info when I was looking to take a trip to Charleston..
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
ob1quixote OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks [I think!!] Dirty South 400!!!

While the webpage link was fine, the link to the registration form{pdf} was bad, but has been fixed now.

Robert