Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #3061
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Personally I wouldn't consider a brand new FJR in Canada, when you can pick up mint low mileage examples, from mature owners for $12,000 CDN and less. Never mind the astounding used prices, we've all seen for clean US FJR's !

But GB, we all know you want this Super Tenere' 1200 anyway...

996DL
Yes, used prices are incredible, especially in the US, but I can't get past the limitation an FJR would impose on me. No more hopping curbs, standing on the pegs through gravel roads... heat... plastic.... scraping pegs...

Yes, S10 has my name on it. Bring it here, and I will buy
Old 07-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #3062
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua
First came the XT500, then the XT600 with all the models ending in the XT600Z Tenere which then give way to the XTZ750 (twin) Super Tenere ... then the engine grew to 850 and came the TRX850 and TDM850 with basically the same engine as the XTZ750 but rebored and different crank ... now we have the XTZ1200 a completely different machine but still parallel twin.
Cheers,
Roberto
So is the TDM redundant now that they have the XT12Z? Will they sell both bikes in the same market?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #3063
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
bottom line ?

I own a 660 and I and my mates ride 660's a great deal off road. Some of what we ride would not be suitable for most bigger bikes unless in the hands of the very capable.
My problem is that it is (660) quite a tall bike and rather top heavy.
This is a bit sad cause it makes me take very high resolution soil samples in my mouth very often. I like the 660 but I find it to difficult and under powered ( especially since I have gained quite some kilos from eating to much soil) for my liking. So now I am considering the 1200. What I am afraid of is not being able to join my friends when they take the 660's to the trails on the weekends and would ask you guys for some input about it's (1200) "True" off road capabilities ( in the hands of a novice and not a Dakar legend).
I do understand that it is far heavier and the ground clearance is smaller.
But all say that it feels quite light and it is lower so I can reach the ground with both feet.
So what Say you? can it really off road or is it a sophisticated Vee or var ?
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:19 AM   #3064
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
So is the TDM redundant now that they have the XT12Z? Will they sell both bikes in the same market?
They are in a different league all together, the TDM is a "Scarver" for fast roads a well dressed hooligan, or as we call it a Urban Assault Vehicle.
Ideal for ride to worg an on any sunday...

The Tenere is a Travel Appliance, for people who want to ride their bike till petrol runs out, searching for the end of the rainbow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig
What I am afraid of is not being able to join my friends when they take the 660's to the trails on the weekends and would ask you guys for some input about it's (1200) "True" off road capabilities
Well there is written enough about that really, if you can't keep the 660 upright with its enourmous groundclearence suspensiontravel and 21" wheel, you will become full time archeologist on the S10 for sure.

I don't want to be offensive, so don't be offended, but what i read about your feet reaching the ground on the S10, to keep you toppling over, seems to me the underlying problem, Off-Road you have to get out of the saddle and stand on the pegs, as riding gets rough, so how high a bike is, has no significant effect on the amount of ground inspections :-)

Take a course in off road riding, and you'll see it's 75% technique/25% bike
But first and foremost, stand up instead of trying to paddling, as soon as you put out a leg, you allmost certainly will make problems bigger, because you disrupt balance even more.

Off-road steering is keeping the handlebar in a verry loose fit, and steer with yer *Feet*, so you want to the left, lift your right feet!
(oh yes, thats only possible when you're standing on them btw...)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 AM   #3065
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
I own a 660 and I and my mates ride 660's a great deal off road. Some of what we ride would not be suitable for most bigger bikes unless in the hands of the very capable.
My problem is that it is (660) quite a tall bike and rather top heavy.
This is a bit sad cause it makes me take very high resolution soil samples in my mouth very often. I like the 660 but I find it to difficult and under powered ( especially since I have gained quite some kilos from eating to much soil) for my liking. So now I am considering the 1200. What I am afraid of is not being able to join my friends when they take the 660's to the trails on the weekends and would ask you guys for some input about it's (1200) "True" off road capabilities ( in the hands of a novice and not a Dakar legend).
I do understand that it is far heavier and the ground clearance is smaller.
But all say that it feels quite light and it is lower so I can reach the ground with both feet.
So what Say you? can it really off road or is it a sophisticated Vee or var ?
It will go off road......and you'll fall off it less due to the height, the weight distribution and the ABS/TCS.
It really depends on your own definition of "off road". Its not a trials bike so dont expect to go rock crawling but I heve been playing on mine up and down Scottish hillsides and it is more than capable on grass so gravel etc should be no problem.

R3B's description regarding the sheepdog and the rotweiller is very apt. Its a big bike but its an easy bike. Yamahe have done a magical job with this bike and abilities far outstrip the paper statistics.
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 AM   #3066
drbig
Solo Sailor

thanks

when I try rock jumping I usaly end up with rock kissing and some time at the dentist. But we do ride down river beds and in the desert . Deep pebbels and sand are quite common and some times we go up gravel pathes that have rather big loose stones and the ocasional stone steps. This requires some agility and a firm hand on the throttle when riding the 660.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:31 AM   #3067
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
when I try rock jumping I usaly end up with rock kissing and some time at the dentist. But we do ride down river beds and in the desert . Deep pebbels and sand are quite common and some times we go up gravel pathes that have rather big loose stones and the ocasional stone steps. This requires some agility and a firm hand on the throttle when riding the 660.
My guess is that you will struggle with the S10 under those circumstances. I have already bottomed mine out on rocks and it does not sound a severe here as it is in Israel. Perhaps your type of riding would be more suited to the 660 ?
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #3068
drbig
Solo Sailor

thanks for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
They are in a different league all together, the TDM is a "Scarver" for fast roads a well dressed hooligan, or as we call it a Urban Assault Vehicle.
Ideal for ride to worg an on any sunday...

The Tenere is a Travel Appliance, for people who want to ride their bike till petrol runs out, searching for the end of the rainbow...

Well there is written enough about that really, if you can't keep the 660 upright with its enourmous groundclearence suspensiontravel and 21" wheel, you will become full time archeologist on the S10 for sure.

I don't want to be offensive, so don't be offended, but what i read about your feet reaching the ground on the S10, to keep you toppling over, seems to me the underlying problem, Off-Road you have to get out of the saddle and stand on the pegs, as riding gets rough, so how high a bike is, has no significant effect on the amount of ground inspections :-)

Take a course in off road riding, and you'll see it's 75% technique/25% bike
But first and foremost, stand up instead of trying to paddling, as soon as you put out a leg, you allmost certainly will make problems bigger, because you disrupt balance even more.

Off-road steering is keeping the handlebar in a verry loose fit, and steer with yer *Feet*, so you want to the left, lift your right feet!
(oh yes, thats only possible when you're standing on them btw...)
No I am not offended but you are stating the obvious regarding taking a course ( been there and done that) or standing on the pegs and riding loose. My issues are not when I am moving but when I have to negosiate rocks , boulders at stand still or very slow speeds. There are ocasions when I have to put a foot down and if for any reason I am over a small lowring in the ground or if one or both wheels are on a rock I cant reach the ground. As the 660 is quite top heavy, once it starts to tillt - over we go
I added a pic that proves that I really do know how to stand on the pegs

Attached Images

drbig screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 05:16 AM
Old 07-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #3069
kmax
Kruzer

Oddometer: 222
XTZ 1200 just reached to Singapore.

some photos of taken by our fellow inmate AJ.

SGD$30.5k for base model. they bring only 5 and 4 are sold.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums...eply&p=6525235

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ.. View Post

The XTZ1200 is here...

Priced at SGD$30.5k otr without insurance.
It's cheaper than expected...was told before from Mr Lee of Loois,that the price should be close to the GSadv....even he was shock to learn that HL is selling it at 30grand.

And best...this bike...is Made In Japan....unlike the XT660Z which is Italy.

All 4 already Sold...left 1 silver...next shipment is August...

Very tempting...HL wants to take in my Varadero and CX500...:cheeky:
Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #3070
drbig
Solo Sailor

Bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray
My guess is that you will struggle with the S10 under those circumstances. I have already bottomed mine out on rocks and it does not sound a severe here as it is in Israel. Perhaps your type of riding would be more suited to the 660 ?
I was hoping you might say somthing else as I have been waiting so long for this bike to arrive and I even got my wife to say YES. But I guess like all things in life you win some and loose some at the same time.
I know I will enjoy this bike a great deal but would hate to loose the great friendship and great riding trips that my mates and I have found in our small Tenere 660 club.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #3071
danger_dave
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
Had a pretty good ride on one today.

'I did about 150km this afternoon and think it's going to be very good bike for local conditions.
Found it as as comfortable as a comfortable thing on national cushion day and thought it has great handling, braking and good power, without being 'sick'. Sounds very nice too.
Lovely front end, solid on the dirt and the engine spools up really nicely. I liked the instruments and dash and the whole cockpit set up worked pretty well.
Ground clearance isn't huge - it's not poor - but not sportsbike either. Still very tidy on the tarmac nonetheless.
It's quite a lump to manhandle with feet down on the slippery stuff - but then there's not many 1200s that aren't. '

Pics and a video dribble on the Kiwi Rider site:

http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.co...nere-1200.html
danger_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #3072
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Positive review on this South African site...

Check out the pic of three S10's wheelying side by side on a dirt road

I have to say, ome of the statements in the test are a bit out there - as much as I'd like to believe they are true, I'm not sure I can...

"The XT1200Z Super Tenere has off road handling that is without a doubt, ahead of any of its competition - 800cc, 990cc and 1200cc alike - The Super Tenere wins hands down."

Found a better copy of that pic in Adventure Magazine

Trevor

dcstrom screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 09:37 AM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #3073
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom

Trevor
Either most of their advertising comes from YAMAHA OR

They like the bike A LOT.

(OR BOTH)

Quote:
Currently in the Dualsport motorcycle market - there is no better bike - for the technology - for the price - for the looks - for the off road ability in this class and for the safety and many other reasons. BUT ? is this the bike for YOU? that is the question.
Many riders will still stick to competitive brands, as will die hard Yamaha fans continue to be loyal to their brand and buy the XT1200Z Super Tenere. IF you want the best 1200cc Dualsport Bike in the world at this time and its within your price bracket ZAR 139 000 - go and buy the Super T before Yamaha South Africa run out of stock. You wont be sorry and your buddies will be jealous.

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #3074
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
My new screen saver here in the USA.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom

I have to say, ome of the statements in the test are a bit out there - as much as I'd like to believe they are true, I'm not sure I can...

"The XT1200Z Super Tenere has off road handling that is without a doubt, ahead of any of its competition - 800cc, 990cc and 1200cc alike - The Super Tenere wins hands down."

Found a better copy of that pic in Adventure Magazine

Trevor
~TABASCO~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #3075
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Either most of their advertising comes from YAMAHA OR

They like the bike A LOT.

(OR BOTH)
Well its one of the inmates here, so ask him...

but what i've read, its a verry thorough test which nicely overlaps my own experience, it's a real pitty you havent ridden it yourself, it's (for such a hefty pig) a sublime handling machine, at the moment you trow your leg over the saddle, and your buttock land on it, it feels like a 5 years old Levi's 501.

And as soon as you roll, it's like you ridden it for 10 years or so, it feels so comfy dependable and "at Home" it just is not believable.

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote