ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,868
The Lure of the Dalton

Something a little different this time. In this thread, I will try to pick out some of my better photos from the Dalton Highway/Haul Road and post them with just the date and time taken, as well as the approximate location, and leave out the "ride report" dialogue. These won't be in any particular order, just as I happen to run across them in perusing and sorting through various photo folders. That means there will undoubtedly be duplicates, as I have reached the stage in life where I can hide my own Easter eggs.

Having seen many noteworthy photos from other riders over the years, I would like to invite others to post their own photos in this thread as well so that future travelers can see what it is (in addition to being the farthest north they can ride in North America) that makes people come up here, accept whatever challenges the road and weather might present, and go back home feeling that they actually enjoyed the ride.

Now for the photos.

July 4, 2008 2:00 PM At the top of Beaver Slide. looking north toward the Arctic Circle (just out of the photo in top right) -

July 4, 2008 6:30 PM Along the Dietrich River, around Mile 230. One of my favorite stretches of the entire Haul Road -

June 6, 2007 11:30 PM A toklat grizzly sow at the side of Ice Cut. She had a yearling cub with her so I didn't wait for her to get any closer -

June 6, 2007 10:30 PM Somewhere on the coastal plain - a bull caribou with antlers in the velvet -

July 4, 2008 11:30 AM Looking south at the end of the pavement at Mile 49.5 as two riders get to the end of the third-from-the-last stretch of gravel southbound -

July 1, 2010 5:00 PM Colleen Lake at Deadhorse, still about 1/3 covered with ice -

July 4, 2008 7:00 PM Chandalar Shelf, a roughly 3-Mile wide elevated plain between the headwaters of the Dietrich River and the bottom of the climb to Atigun Pass.

August 8, 2008 2:30 PM Roller Coaster Hill - the south side, with a motorcycle descending -

May 29, 2010 11:00 AM Looking downstream under the Yukon River bridge at Mile 56 -

July 1, 2010 7:00 AM Mountains on the west side of the Atigun River catch the morning sun's rays -

July 11, 2009 11:00 AM The fireweed this year and in 2008 was exceptionally brilliant. Taken around Mile 31 -

July 2, 2010 2:30 PM The road and the pipeline seem to go on forever, with foreboding clouds towering over the Brooks Range mountains ahead -

July 4, 2008 7:00 PM From halfway up the steep climb to Chandalar Shelf, this is the view toward the headwaters of the Dietrich River, which is just a small stream at this point -

A break, with more to come.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote