User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
riisor OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
F800GS Clutch lever replacemnent advice

Argh! only 3 days old and I dropped my bike. I need to replace the clutch lever. Should I simply replace it with factory unit or is there a preferred aftermarket replacement? Is this repair simple for a newbie cheeze like me (my fathers a radio repair man --he 's got an excellent set of tools!)

regards

riisor
riisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Barnacle
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by riisor
Argh! only 3 days old and I dropped my bike. I need to replace the clutch lever. Should I simply replace it with factory unit or is there a preferred aftermarket replacement? Is this repair simple for a newbie cheeze like me (my fathers a radio repair man --he 's got an excellent set of tools!)
I think you want a set of these:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...ever_F800.html

Two finger bliss! And that's what she said.....
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
ovenking
Unfloppable

Oddometer: 38
Also check out Pazzo levers. Cheaper than the Wunderlichs, but then again they do not adjust for length, just for reach.

They make long and short versions. I personally always use two fingers on both levers and have the Pazzo shorties, and they are a huge improvement over the stock levers.

You should be able to pick up a set or single lever directly from them or from a dealer (which I did for less than MSRP), plus you get to customise your colours.

As for replacement of the clutch lever, it's really simple. The only tool you'll really need is a screwdriver to remove a single bolt on the clutch housing, and the rest is easy peasy.
ovenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
TireIron
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle
I think you want a set of these:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...ever_F800.html

Two finger bliss! And that's what she said.....
+1 I just installed a set of Vario levers. Very easy install and adjust for reach and length. Has made shifting and breaking more ergonomically correct for me. They are spendy; make sure you get a set of bark busters or similar for protection.
TireIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Lever for Fast Times on the Ridgemont Trail

Hopefully the new lever will make it easier on Mr. Hand....
No advice just liked the movie reference in your post. Saw that flick a million times as a youth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by riisor

regards

riisor
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Willwork4F800GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Had the same thing happen on my third day with the GS, called BMW to see how much they wanted for a clutch lever.... $80.00 USD!?!?

Went into the garage and smoked a butt while filing the edge down, I will probably investigate the Wunderlich lever's at a later date (currently have some other farkle qued for purchase)... I have their 800GS tank bag which is extremely well built and designed. Don't think you could go wrong with the Wunderlich levers.
Willwork4F800GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
replicant
consummate n00b

Oddometer: 97
Same thing happened to me. Tipped over in the first week, broke 1" off the clutch lever. Ended up riding with it for 4 months while shopping around. The aftermarket stuff is basically as expensive as OEM, and since I didn't want short levers or to replace both levers I shelled out for the OEM replacement.
replicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Waino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
My 2 cents is to put a set of Barkbusters at the top of your farkle list. They protect your levers and a whole lot else. Worth every penny.
Waino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Originally posted by TireIron:

Quote:
+1 I just installed a set of Vario levers. Very easy install and adjust for reach and length. Has made shifting and breaking more ergonomically correct for me. They are spendy; make sure you get a set of bark busters or similar for protection.
+2 I agree with everything he said. Better control. Put one on brake as well and definitely get hand guards.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
I also have the vario levers. I like them, but if you are happy with the stock lever, just sand the paint off and have the knob welded back on. I can't believe that would cost much, especially if you've done the prep work. If you broke it at the perch, well, sorry to hear that.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
GrommettAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Wunderlich has instructions for their lever installation online...just follow that...piece of cake. I keep stock because a single stock replacement is half the cost of a set of new levers. TTech handguards offer no protection to the lever...have broken two levers with those on.
GrommettAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Herr Bae M. Vae
Insurgent Squirrel

Oddometer: 18
...and of course there's the old trick of loosening the brake and clutch perches slightly so that in the event of a crash they rotate on the bars instead of breaking. And of course you should have some hand guards to avoid breaking levers...and fingers.
Herr Bae M. Vae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
+1 on Pazzos and handguards.

I have had my shorty Pazzos on for about three years, and absolutely love them. They were still too long for me, so I moved the perches inboard an inch or two too.

But don't mention Wunderlich to me right now ....

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Or - if you are on a budget: http://www.ebay.com/itm/the2wheels-Adjustable-Brake-Clutch-CNC-Levers-BMW-F800GS-2008-2012-/280877310781?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item416597a33d

This is $31 shipped for a clutch and brake lever set - hard to beat. I have a set on my Triumph 800XC and they are very high quality and work great. Plus - you can get them in any color combination.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Sweet - I was looking at this a while back, they said they didn't have one that fit for the brake lever. Or clutch... I forget which. Seems strange, I wouldn't think they'd be different... but anyway, looks like they do both now, that's cool.
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote