User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,574
commute

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
ky2008
2008KLR

Oddometer: 111
Awesome video! IS it true lane-splitting is legal in CA? Man, passing a cop and everything! How do people react? Like in the beginning when you were on the on ramp zig zagging in and out of traffic? Around here people would get pissed about that. But I've always heard people are good drives in CA.
ky2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky2008
Awesome video! IS it true lane-splitting is legal in CA? Man, passing a cop and everything! How do people react? Like in the beginning when you were on the on ramp zig zagging in and out of traffic? Around here people would get pissed about that. But I've always heard people are good drives in CA.
The rider is anonymous. A lot of the riding in the video may be frowned upon. People are usually cool about lane splitting and if they notice you, they will move over to let you through. The cop was an Oakland PD. They aren't too worried about what happens on the highway unless it is really excessive. The highway patrol is basically the same on the city streets.

I don't think the drivers here are any better on average than anywhere else. I have noticed on the east coast of the US though that there are minimum speed limit signs and constant warnings to stay off the median which we don't apparently need to be reminded.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Traffic around here is as bad if not worse, but heaven forbid you'd try "filtering" as the Brits call it, you might get charged with wreckless driving. Even the HOV lanes on the highway, you need to have 2 people on a bike to use them. Heck, one time I got stuck on a closed highway with a 10 mile back up. No one was moving anywhere. I filtered to the front and used the off ramp.. I got honked at, at, yelled at... I didn't care Looking behind me, other riders started to follow me
Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Rainier_Rider
Gone

Oddometer: 1,560
That should be legal anywhere.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 977
if I tried anything like that around here some vindictive local with 3 teeth would try to take me out.
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Aventurero
BE HAPPY AND THANKFULL

Oddometer: 81
where is the video?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 28,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
The rider is anonymous. A lot of the riding in the video may be frowned upon. People are usually cool about lane splitting and if they notice you, they will move over to let you through. The cop was an Oakland PD. They aren't too worried about what happens on the highway unless it is really excessive. The highway patrol is basically the same on the city streets.

I don't think the drivers here are any better on average than anywhere else. I have noticed on the east coast of the US though that there are minimum speed limit signs and constant warnings to stay off the median which we don't apparently need to be reminded.
I didn't see much that I'd frown upon. A few passes on the right, but I wasn't sure if that was a lane or the shoulder. I wouldn't split with such a difference in speed. Zipping between the big rig and the car and one or two closing gaps I reckon I would have backed off instead.

Cool video!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 28,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Traffic around here is as bad if not worse, but heaven forbid you'd try "filtering" as the Brits call it, you might get charged with wreckless driving. Even the HOV lanes on the highway, you need to have 2 people on a bike to use them. Heck, one time I got stuck on a closed highway with a 10 mile back up. No one was moving anywhere. I filtered to the front and used the off ramp.. I got honked at, at, yelled at... I didn't care Looking behind me, other riders started to follow me
I commute the 401 out to Mississauga and back everyday. I lane split every now and then. Nothing like in the video. Carving through traffic is a lot more fun on the KLR than on the vStrom when it's slow, but a lot easier on the vStrom when the speed picks up. You are past people before they ever notice you.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
I hope you're an organ donor. Around here, some of those people would have opened their doors on you--seriously.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Tach cable bad? Or is it just me,. seems to be bouncing a lot.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak

I'd say the "anonymous" rider isn't long for this world. Splitting the thick stuff is one thing, weaving and speeding on the bridge and then aggressive riding and speeding in open traffic---sooner or later your number comes up. Lot of bad calls in that one---showing off for the camera probably being the major one. Everybody wants to be a u-tube hero...
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt
Tach cable bad? Or is it just me,. seems to be bouncing a lot.
It experienced a trauma and hasn't been the same since.